Club History Completely random Melbourne memories that come to mind for no particular reason

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember Des Headland getting suspended and then it was overturned because the guy he belted made fun of his tattoo of his ill child. Then absolutely dominated against the dees the next week.
Sounds like something Will Minson would have done.

Edit nope sorry will

Tldr Adam Selwood called his 6 year old daughter a bad word. Fair enough he got off.

I went to that game where we lost to the Essendon top-ups in 2016, embarrassing as s**t. But I remember going to the mountain view hotel after the game and was talking to a smug Essendon supporter and I was like ‘I reckon you guys with be good, lot of young guns, Darcy Parish looks great’ etc.

8 years later and they’re shithouse, gotta love it!

Last edited:

2009 (not) tanking match against Sydney in Canberra.

I went to that game. The very small number of competent to good players were mysteriously “rested”. It’s a bit incredible that this one was cited in the tanking investigation because if we were tanking then I have no clue what Sydney were playing at. The WORST game ever. We could easily have won it until they quickly subbed Liam Jurrah who was threatening to win the thing on his own. Mystifying bit is Sydney being just as bad. I can only think that our lack of discernible structure or system brought a degree of unpredictability that flummoxed them.

Also it was a record cold day, top temperature was 4 degrees, and it started raining and the coffee van broke down but, yay, the gelato stand was functioning.

I went for that game where we lost to the Essendon top-ups in 2016, embarrassing as s**t. But I remember going to the mountain view hotel after the game and was talking to a smug Essendon supporter and I was like ‘I reckon you guys with be good, lot of young guns, Darcy Parish looks great’ etc.

I was there. God, I feel like I talked to the same Essendon supporter and about Darcy Parish too. I think I was trying to look like a good sport even when I wanted to kill everyone.

I remember I did this big dramatic thing and ripped my scarf off and hurled it in a bin on level four but the gesture was lost because nobody saw. I told my partner what I had done a few minutes later and he made me go back upstairs to rummage through pie wrappers and bits of gum to get it back. And lots of people saw me this time

I went to that game where we lost to the Essendon top-ups in 2016, embarrassing as s**t. But I remember going to the mountain view hotel after the game and was talking to a smug Essendon supporter and I was like ‘I reckon you guys with be good, lot of young guns, Darcy Parish looks great’ etc.

BenKen was our best that day. What a horrendous game.

Went to the Anzac day game later that season and my bombers supporting mates thought they were a chance because of the demons win. They got absolutely slaughtered and it was great.

Sounds like something Will Minson would have done.

Edit nope sorry will

Tldr Adam Selwood called his 6 year old daughter a bad word. Fair enough he got off.

Not related to us, but what Minson said to Cornes is one of the most disgusting sledges I'd ever heard. arsehole of a player when he played

Remembering all those times we beat teams on their important occasions back when we were garbage always makes me happy.

• Corey Enright's 300th
  • the Tom Hafey match
  • press red for Ed

Dawes the rover 30 seconds in.

If you only watch the last quarter, you don't have to watch Jimmy Toumpas because he's already been subbed out. I still remember watching that dude crying after his first game in another massive Neeld loss.

Waverley was a dull soulless stadium.
Agreed. Not only was it freezing & it always seemed to rain but you felt so far away from the action as the stadium was poorly designed. When the ball went up the other end you had to watch the scoreboard which was a yellow & black monstrosity. Combine that with having to catch two trains & a bus which you had to buy a seperate fair for made for a lousy wet & long day especially when we lost.

View attachment 1712402609740.webp

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Colin Sylvia had more natural talent than Petracca.
Difference between being an elite athlete and a lad.

I remember listening on the radio when Sylvia and McLean were drafted. They compared Sylvia to Voss, then said McLean could be even better.

I chalked us down for a few easy premierships.

I went there for a finals game with a pretty big crowd and even then the atmosphere was meh at best. The suburban grounds were the best, proper feral s**t and a home ground advantage. Home team would get on a run and the supporters would pound the advertising and fences around the ground, so noisy was great. Only one I never went to was Moorabbin.
Love Moorabbin oval!

Mum would fill dad’s flask with brandy, couple beers in the esky, my sister and I would get a choccy big M and a packet of chippies fresh from the wickam rd milk bad, and we’d be off to watch the Mighty Sainters get pumped while dad got beligerently drunk and angry on a nice Sunday arvo.

Cheeky drunk-drive home while dad said not a word in our shitbox ford van.

Nostalgia!!!

Last edited:
I remember listening on the radio when Sylvia and McLean were drafted. They compared Sylvia to Voss, then said McLean could be even better.

I chalked us down for a few easy premierships.
I'd say McLean was more like Voss and Sylvia was 'better' and more like Riccuito

Sylvia had 2x the natural talent of McLean, probably more tbh.

If you could transplant Nathan Jones attitude into Sylvia's body you'd have one of the all the greats.

I know hes dead and I dont mean to dance on his grave but geez, the deeper you dive into Sylvia's past the more you see what a POS he was. Uber talented no doubt but I reckon he would have been a slider if draft testing was like these days rather than a #2 pick.

I know hes dead and I dont mean to dance on his grave but geez, the deeper you dive into Sylvia's past the more you see what a POS he was. Uber talented no doubt but I reckon he would have been a slider if draft testing was like these days rather than a #2 pick.
Think he was #5 and McLean was #3 unless I remember that wrong.
Can't say I know much about his past. Have a vague memory maybe he did something to a missus or ex missus but yeah.

Think he was #5 and McLean was #3 unless I remember that wrong.
Can't say I know much about his past. Have a vague memory maybe he did something to a missus or ex missus but yeah.
He was before McLean. You are right though about #3 instead of #2. Think Cooney and Walker went before him

He was before McLean. You are right though about #3 instead of #2. Think Cooney and Walker went before him
That's right, McLean played more earlier too I think Daniher made Sylvia play VFL a bit more.

Off field stuff aside, he is the most naturally gifted player/athlete combo that might have ever walked into Melbourne which is crazy to say but I think he played 200 games without even really trying

Remove this Banner Ad

Back