Club History Completely random Melbourne memories that come to mind for no particular reason

Remove this Banner Ad

Whats your earliest memory of supporting Melbourne? For some reason as a kid I decided they were my team on grand final day in 1988. Cant remember anything from that game at all other than Hawthorn flogged us, but I do remember early Darren Bennett kicking set shots outside 50 with ease, he was my first favourite Melbourne player before Jako came along, * he could launch a ball.
Did you decide before or after the game? :cautiousv1:

Are you referring to the Channel 10 show from the mid 2000s, A11?
No I was referring to my decision in 1988 to support the Melbourne Football Club for the rest of my life well before that particular TV program aired. Sorry for the confusion Les.

No I was referring to my decision in 1988 to support the Melbourne Football Club for the rest of my life well before that particular TV program aired. Sorry for the confusion Les.
I have to take at least a portion of the blame on this occasion. Simply a case of miscommunication.

Whats your earliest memory of supporting Melbourne? For some reason as a kid I decided they were my team on grand final day in 1988. Cant remember anything from that game at all other than Hawthorn flogged us, but I do remember early Darren Bennett kicking set shots outside 50 with ease, he was my first favourite Melbourne player before Jako came along, * he could launch a ball.
1997 night game vs Stkilda. We were getting smashed in a downpour. After StKilda kicked a goal to get themselves up by ten goals or so two saints supporters jumped the fence and stood either side of the goal umpire and signalled for a goal in tandem.

I was also annoyed as I had gotten Macca's for dinner and decided to be adventurous. Ordered junior burger meal instead of a happy meal and was shocked to find it didn't come with a toy.

I grew up in Canberra 91-94. I think I officially jumped on board in 94. I remember Jako being my first favourite player. I remember going to my mates 8th birthday party the same night of the preliminary final, pretty sure it was. I remember putting on the preliminary final and watching the dees getting done by West Coast until my mates dad changed the channel to league, though no game lines up, Canberra won the grand final the next day so it may have been a different game. It doesn't matter I was definitely a supporter by 94.

In 95 I lived in Melbourne and my first game was watching Melbourne vs essendon at the mcg. Talking about 95, I've mentioned this before. That last game against Brisbane was delayed telecast but channel 7 glitched and briefly showed the live feed. It wasn't looking good for the dees and then they reverted to the delay. So I knew what was going to happen when it caught up.

Earliest memory? Probably repressed it, but they're a great photo of me decked out in demons gear a month before my 6th birthday on the couch about to watch the 2000 Grand Final

How bloody exciting was Jennings/Goody ball in 2018. The Frost barrel, the hands through the middle running in waves, the left handed bounce by Oliver, the kick inside 50. Had you so fired up.

1:17

How bloody exciting was Jennings/Goody ball in 2018. The Frost barrel, the hands through the middle running in waves, the left handed bounce by Oliver, the kick inside 50. Had you so fired up.

1:17

Probably my favourite night ever as a Dees supporter was out partying til 4am.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sorry. All I have is :dancer:. I'm very very sorry.

564680.jpg

Goody gets a look in too.

Crowd went silent.

Also, reminded me of Schwartz doing the big forward rucking in the f50 that Hawkins now does.

I saw Andrew Leoncelli about 6/7 years ago at a restaurant (Stokehouse).

I recognised him. I introduced myself and told him that I had been telling the women at my table about his matchwinning goal. Without further ado, he walked over to my table, and showed them (the women) a clip of him kicking that goal which was on his phone.

Hilarious. Nice guy.

I remember going to a Dees kids clinic when I was really little. Maybe 6 or 7. After it wrapped up they asked some questions to the group of us with some prizes on the line. Robbo was asking the questions and Stephen Powell was there wearing a beanie. Robbo asked what colour hair Powell had and I shot my hand up and answered: "Hazel". Everyone had a good laugh at my expense but gave me the prize because they realized I was right, he kind of did have hazel hair.

I remember going to a Dees kids clinic when I was really little. Maybe 6 or 7. After it wrapped up they asked some questions to the group of us with some prizes on the line. Robbo was asking the questions and Stephen Powell was there wearing a beanie. Robbo asked what colour hair Powell had and I shot my hand up and answered: "Hazel". Everyone had a good laugh at my expense but gave me the prize because they realized I was right, he kind of did have hazel hair.
Went to a few Dee’s clinics at the Junction Oval as a young tacker in the 90s and remember the end of session huddles you mention. I remember all the kids in the white t-shirts with the Peters ice cream logos which where 10 sizes too big and acquiring signatures on them. Got a great pic with Jimmy from one of those days somewhere.

1992 my Dad took me to the G to watch us v Saints. It pissed down rain and Plugger kicked a bag to beat us. I remember being under the umbrella and hearing a big cheer and asking if we had kicked a goal. The old man said no, it was Plugger. I found a youtube clip of the game and it confirms my young memory.

I was trying to find a game where Todd Viney was running around in what looked like board shorts in the wet. I thought it was against hawthorn in 98. I found the game but he wasn't playing. Anyway about 13 minutes into the clip Farmer marks the ball just outside 50, he didn't have a good option so he kicked back. Matthew's makes a big deal about it, but it actually almost resulted in a goal. Funny how it's so common today yet was a novelty back then. Pretty sure Farmer kicked goal of the year in this game.

The day I swapped teams to Melbourne which was 1998. Was a swans fan before it. Melbourne flogged Sydney and dad was a dees fans an was jealous so I swapped

Remember going to Sydney Melbourne at the G in maybe 96/97 and plugger got suspended for smashing a dees player as well.

I was trying to find a game where Todd Viney was running around in what looked like board shorts in the wet. I thought it was against hawthorn in 98. I found the game but he wasn't playing. Anyway about 13 minutes into the clip Farmer marks the ball just outside 50, he didn't have a good option so he kicked back. Matthew's makes a big deal about it, but it actually almost resulted in a goal. Funny how it's so common today yet was a novelty back then. Pretty sure Farmer kicked goal of the year in this game.

Waverley was a dull soulless stadium.

Went their once as a kid to watch Stkilda vs the Pies I think. Might have even been in the last season before it closed.
I went there about 3 or 4 times and remember it having no atmosphere and always freezing cold.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back