Club History Completely random Melbourne memories that come to mind for no particular reason

Remove this Banner Ad

Speaking of Watts, I remember the going to see him in the VFL at Coburg (I think) in his first year, just before he made his AFL debut.

He kicked a crazy left/foot goal from the boundary just in front of me (could've been a mis-kicked centring pass tbf) and I remember thinking he was going to be an all timer.

Also, I took my ex-GF to that game, who didn't love footy, and she hated it every minute of it, and she looked at me so strangely that I was getting so excited by a 17yo, scrawny kid.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I couldn't stand him early days, like I really really hated him, by the time he was traded I was willing to die for him. Wish we could have got Slick some other way. Watts finishing with a flag with us would have been just an amazing story arc.

When Mark Neeld joined twitter.
@neeldmfc does not exist anymore. What a shame

Speaking of twitter though, ****ing schwabb loves to do a bit of drawing these days. The weird part is, they're actually okay

'Melbourne is the only club in the AFL with a President, CEO, captain and coach who are all on Twitter.'

:$ :$ :$ :$ :$ :$ :$ :$ :$ :$ :$ :$ :$ :$ :$ :$ :$ :$ :$ :$ :$ :$ :$ :$
No tweet from anyone involved with MFC can compare to this

Just had a random thought of listening to David Schwarz on SEN pre-game waffle. "Melbourne can't afford to let Geelong get to a good start" something along those lines. Two hours later.....

Daniel cross getting KOd in his last game of footy playing for us for no other reason than he was a tough campaigner. Loved Crossy.

Daniel cross getting KOd in his last game of footy playing for us for no other reason than he was a tough campaigner. Loved Crossy.
Ah yes i was at that game. Lowest crowd for an AFL game at marvel

Dunn playing up forward for fun, and Harmes clunking marks and kicking goals for some reason

Liam Jurrah

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going back to 2010/11 is great we were really bad but boy did you enjoy the wins. I would watch replays more than the 21 gf, maybe not but you get my point. No way am I re-watching that Adelaide game. Anyway random thought popped in my head. Lynden Dunn off the ground last game in 2010 when the dees were 'coming'

Going back to 2010/11 is great we were really bad but boy did you enjoy the wins. I would watch replays more than the 21 gf, maybe not but you get my point. No way am I re-watching that Adelaide game. Anyway random thought popped in my head. Lynden Dunn off the ground last game in 2010 when the dees were 'coming'

I watch a lot of replays from that era, mainly because that's the era i got interested in footy. As a kid i had minimal interest but kept a loose following on us. I had no idea we made finals in 06 when i was finishing up primary school for example. When i got interested I kind of followed Geelong for a bit in 2008/9 because footy became a little bit interesting but i was that fresh teenager to embarrassed to admit i went for Melbourne (I also liked cats). I mainly picked up footy again because the footy show to young teen me was funny as **** and the one show i was allowed to stay up late for. I feel like if Melbourne had played completely uncompetitively in 2010, maybe things would have turned out different for me. My step Father was Richmond and they where pretty shit around this time too, so i wasn't going to switch to them. But my mum made a big deal on following my dad's team

2010/11 I really got back into following footy and Melbourne. It was like discovering this new thing over night. It had always been there but suddenly there was a real like 'wow a game is on lets sit down and actually watch it'. Plus the team where, well okay at the time. I could see some exciting football at times. That era was pretty divided though in terms of power teams and non power teams, I loved beating interstate teams to a pulp but knew we'd be no match for teams like the dogs or blues. I was pretty damn excited when we managed to just draw with Collingwood

I think i just have nostalgia for that era. The early bailey years where a rough watch, and the Neeld era gave me nothing to look back on (other than that win over Essendon). 2010 and 2011 up till the geelong game was that little spark that captivated me enough. Some of those games are just fun times to go back too, even if it was still a greater part of those missing years

I did this too. Used to record our games on Foxtel and I refused to delete the victories because I never knew how long I was going have to wait to see another win.

Reminds me of this Davey goal that as a young tyke I thought was absolutely robbed of GOTY.

Another random memory is Neitz getting rotated in a 360 degree tackle in one of his last games and 1) commentators going off their nut saying it should be HTB even though he got off a handpass and 2) me realising that Neitz was probably done :(

Goody gets a look in too.

Crowd went silent.

Also, reminded me of Schwartz doing the big forward rucking in the f50 that Hawkins now does.

Last edited:
Reminds me of this Davey goal that as a young tyke I thought was absolutely robbed of GOTY.

Another random memory is Neitz getting rotated in a 360 degree tackle in one of his last games and 1) commentators going off their nut saying it should be HTB even though he got off a handpass and 2) me realising that Neitz was probably done :(

Remember exactly where I was watching this live, the Barwon Heads pub drunk beyond belief. My Melbourne supporting mate and I tried to replicate it in the car park a few hours later, trying to kick empty pots out of mid air in between parked cars for a goal, to the surprise of no one he cracked someones windscreen while yelling "DAVEY!!!!" and we got the **** out of there in a hurry. Absolute scum.

Goody gets a look in too.

Crowd went silent.

Also, reminded me of Schwartz doing the big forward rucking in the f50 that Hawkins now does.

Yeah loved that moment, I vaguely remember Schwarz saying he knew Leoncelli was going forward. Looking at the footage he saw him going there anyway. Funny how no Adelaide player's noticed him. Also that kick with Bruce saying that should do it, back in the day the boundary is your friend. Now that would clearly be insufficient attempt, though it is in Adelaide.

Whats your earliest memory of supporting Melbourne? For some reason as a kid I decided they were my team on grand final day in 1988. Cant remember anything from that game at all other than Hawthorn flogged us, but I do remember early Darren Bennett kicking set shots outside 50 with ease, he was my first favourite Melbourne player before Jako came along, **** he could launch a ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back