Club History Completely random Melbourne memories that come to mind for no particular reason

Remove this Banner Ad

Steven Armstrong! STEVEN ARMSTRONG! I don't believe it! I see it, but I don't believe it!
That gave me a good giggle less, especially seeing as Steven Armstrong was the one member of that team to go on and win a flag 😅

Plenty of negative memories about melbourne (adelaide in 2009 with more seagulls than people at the G, wallopings etc) but recently had one that I really like.

Old man and I get on the Sandy line every week to watch the Dees and David Neitz gets on a few stops after us in the same coach every time. Dad always says hello and theyve had a couple of chats together.
At the Hawks game a couple weeks ago dad and I are walking along level 2A in the AFL and Neitz calls out dad's name from the Melbourne box behind us and had a good chat through the first quarter.
Haven't seen dad so happy that someone remember his name ever. Made his day and wont be forgetting that any time soon.

Plenty of negative memories about melbourne (adelaide in 2009 with more seagulls than people at the G, wallopings etc) but recently had one that I really like.

Old man and I get on the Sandy line every week to watch the Dees and David Neitz gets on a few stops after us in the same coach every time. Dad always says hello and theyve had a couple of chats together.
At the Hawks game a couple weeks ago dad and I are walking along level 2A in the AFL and Neitz calls out dad's name from the Melbourne box behind us and had a good chat through the first quarter.
Haven't seen dad so happy that someone remember his name ever. Made his day and wont be forgetting that any time soon.
Man that Adelaide game was so depressing. Cold 4.40pm Sunday game with a crowd of 14,000. I remember some drunk Adelaide supporter in a box at one point started giving melbourne supporters shit then when people gave it back he called it friendly banter. This was level two behind the goals punt rd end where redleg members sit. The other depressing thing was we were goaless in the first half and 1 goal by 3 quarter time. Adelaide weren't much better with a whopping 5 goals making it 1.6.12 to 5.7.37. The thing is it kind of felt we were in it because we won the quarter by a few points and it was so low scoring. Not sure any supporter would have left that horror show happy. Adelaide supporters probably took the win and moved on.

Man that Adelaide game was so depressing. Cold 4.40pm Sunday game with a crowd of 14,000. I remember some drunk Adelaide supporter in a box at one point started giving melbourne supporters s**t then when people gave it back he called it friendly banter. This was level two behind the goals punt rd end where redleg members sit. The other depressing thing was we were goaless in the first half and 1 goal by 3 quarter time. Adelaide weren't much better with a whopping 5 goals making it 1.6.12 to 5.7.37. The thing is it kind of felt we were in it because we won the quarter by a few points and it was so low scoring. Not sure any supporter would have left that horror show happy. Adelaide supporters probably took the win and moved on.
The worst part of that night was Nathan Bock breaking the record for bounces because we wouldn't go near them when they had it in their back half.

Man that Adelaide game was so depressing. Cold 4.40pm Sunday game with a crowd of 14,000. I remember some drunk Adelaide supporter in a box at one point started giving melbourne supporters s**t then when people gave it back he called it friendly banter. This was level two behind the goals punt rd end where redleg members sit. The other depressing thing was we were goaless in the first half and 1 goal by 3 quarter time. Adelaide weren't much better with a whopping 5 goals making it 1.6.12 to 5.7.37. The thing is it kind of felt we were in it because we won the quarter by a few points and it was so low scoring. Not sure any supporter would have left that horror show happy. Adelaide supporters probably took the win and moved on.
Could genuinely hear all of the players talking to each other.

In 2000 (Grade 5?) I was the only kid in our class to tip Melbourne as the premiers during Preliminary Final Week. I only tipped Melbourne as the girl I liked went for Melbourne.

I made sure to tell her I tipped Melbourne when I saw her next at recess.

It changed little.

Last edited:
Russell Robertson kicking 7 against Geelong at Skilled when both teams were wearing heritage guernseys.
The amount of times the commentators brought up that Melbourne hadn't beaten Geelong at KP since (insert year here) meant it was literally a nailed on win for you before the ball was even bounced.

Could genuinely hear all of the players talking to each other.
That's the sound of 08-14. A part of me misses those days because you could genuinely sit where you wanted. I'd usually sit level 2 in the Olympic stand basically had a bay to myself. I also miss the pre-developed mcg ponsford stand for the same reason you could just sit where you want.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This reminds me, after we beat the Crows at home in 2017 or whatever there was an article about how the Crows supporters were upset because the Melbourne supporters were getting too rowdy in the Adelaide Oval equivalent of the long room.

This reminds me, after we beat the Crows at home in 2017 or whatever there was an article about how the Crows supporters were upset because the Melbourne supporters were getting too rowdy in the Adelaide Oval equivalent of the long room.
Yeah but it was the first win in Adelaide since 01 and we'd been shit for so long rowdiness is accepted.

Jack Watts kicking the match-winning goal and then taking a match-saving mark against Gold Coast at the G in about 2017
Watts' game-sealer against Collingwood. Not sure I've heard a louder Melbourne crowd.

Nah we had won there a few times over that period. First was Roos' first win.
Oh yeah that's right, thought Dom Tyson was going to be a star.
Watts' game-sealer against Collingwood. Not sure I've heard a louder Melbourne crowd.
It's up there, I didn't go but Mitch Hannan's goal vs Geelong in the elimination final I've heard it was up there as well.

James Frawley running down Lewis Jetta at the G

woohoo guy must have been out of control.

I thought the same until the two 2018 finals at the MCG. Place was literally rocking.

I was so bummed I watched this goal on a TV screen in the Bullring bar instead of outside, bar absolutely went off though, one of my favourite dees wins ever.

Seeing Jeremy Howe’s disappointment in the background was chefs kiss.

Oh yeah that's right, thought Dom Tyson was going to be a star.

It's up there, I didn't go but Mitch Hannan's goal vs Geelong in the elimination final I've heard it was up there as well.
woohoo guy must have been out of control.

I thought the same until the two 2018 finals at the MCG. Place was literally rocking.
Yeah those Geelong/Hawthorn games are good calls.

Speaking of Watts, I remember the going to see him in the VFL at Coburg (I think) in his first year, just before he made his AFL debut.

He kicked a crazy left/foot goal from the boundary just in front of me (could've been a mis-kicked centring pass tbf) and I remember thinking he was going to be an all timer.

Also, I took my ex-GF to that game, who didn't love footy, and she hated it every minute of it, and she looked at me so strangely that I was getting so excited by a 17yo, scrawny kid.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back