Draft Watcher SMYTHE's 2024 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

By the way, not having a crack at you. It's a question for all draft watchers/experts. On what do you base your rankings: how good they are now or how good you project them to be?
I know you are not having a crack, and I understand what you mean, and the question.

When you asked "So you are ranking them as under-18 players not prospective AFL players?", i answered with "not necessarily", which i see your confusion in.

This is what i mean....

My first rankings of the year are usually my assessment and ordering of draftable players based on their skills and performance so far against others of the same draft. That includes players that are currently injured, I rank them based on previous output.

Once the Aus games are done and the champs have concluded I will evaluate their physical attributes, performance against bigger bodies and other draftees at the champs level, previous combine results (to a degree) and overall potential.

So currently, (the start of the year) it is how I rate them against each other to this point this year.

The next rankings, now the Aus games are done, and the big board (once the champs are done) that is when the rankings will represent how I see their future standings.

So, any big boards after this first one will represent how I see their career trajectory.
Hope that clears it up a bit.

I know you are not having a crack, and I understand what you mean, and the question.

When you asked "So you are ranking them as under-18 players not prospective AFL players?", i answered with "not necessarily", which i see your confusion in.

This is what i mean....

My first rankings of the year are usually my assessment and ordering of draftable players based on their skills and performance so far against others of the same draft. That includes players that are currently injured, I rank them based on previous output.

Once the Aus games are done and the champs have concluded I will evaluate their physical attributes, performance against bigger bodies and other draftees at the champs level, previous combine results (to a degree) and overall potential.

So currently, (the start of the year) it is how I rate them against each other to this point this year.

The next rankings, now the Aus games are done, and the big board (once the champs are done) that is when the rankings will represent how I see their future standings.

So, any big boards after this first one will represent how I see their career trajectory.
Hope that clears it up a bit.
Won't you be watching SANFL, Vic and WAFL finals also just to be sure?

Which of the Top 4 do you believe shouldn’t be there ?
Well, for starters I think O'Sullivan is a clear #1. It evens out after that to my eye thus far. I could have Lalor and Smith ahead of Moraes, possibly Welsh too. I'm not sure I'm sold on Smillie, goes to ground a bit. Like Smythe says we'll learn more as the season progresses.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back