Draft Watcher SMYTHE's 2024 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome back Smythe, always look forward to reading your thread.

Do you have any tiers yet for this year's draft?
Cheers. I do have some tiers but have not posted yet and may not till after the champs. We could get around 70 drafted this year I feel.

Who are the best small forwards in the draft?
Any one worthy of a 1st rounder?
I'm not sure if these WA guys are first rounders or not. Probably not.

But Malakai Champion (S) is WA's best small forward hope this year.

It's also worth keeping a close eye on Robert Warrell (P), Lukas Jakovich (PT) and Anthony Hansen (SD).

A PSA/Scotch College/Subiaco lad named Toby Jones could be a surpise bolter late in the season.

lots of small fwds, and small fwd/mids, but so far when it comes to first round worthy, i would say currently only joe berry, taj hotton, leo lombard (GC)
The Lions are lacking speed through the midfield and with Charlie Cameron aging in the small forward category as well.

We have Levi Ashcroft coming in early but are there any speedy mids/small fwds (prioritising mids) that could be available late 1st round-2nd round that would fit the bill?

I'm thinking pass on Sam Marshall as too similar to mids we already have and go for speed, I'm assuming if said speedy player goes late 1st-2nd round they would at least have handy skills and footy nous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Lions are lacking speed through the midfield and with Charlie Cameron aging in the small forward category as well.

We have Levi Ashcroft coming in early but are there any speedy mids/small fwds (prioritising mids) that could be available late 1st round-2nd round that would fit the bill?

I'm thinking pass on Sam Marshall as too similar to mids we already have and go for speed, I'm assuming if said speedy player goes late 1st-2nd round they would at least have handy skills and footy nous.
If both Clug and Berry leave who are these midfielders we have? Marshall is a massive need

If both Clug and Berry leave who are these midfielders we have? Marshall is a massive need
I'd have it 99% certain McCluggage & Berry both stay.

What about the way Sam Marshall plays makes him a significant difference to what we already have?

FWIW I think we match the Marshall bid, I posted a discussion point about the need for speed in our midfield on the Lions board and thought I would ask Smythe what was out there among this years potential draftees.

I'd have it 99% certain McCluggage & Berry both stay.

What about the way Sam Marshall plays makes him a significant difference to what we already have?

FWIW I think we match the Marshall bid, I posted a discussion point about the need for speed in our midfield on the Lions board and thought I would ask Smythe what was out there among this years potential draftees.
We don’t currently have a second round pick. After matching the Ashcroft bid, our next pick will be a third round pick at best, more likely a fourth round pick.

Even if we have to go in to deficit on next year’s draft picks, we most likely drafting academy kids this year (and probably next year as well).

We don’t currently have a second round pick. After matching the Ashcroft bid, our next pick will be a third round pick at best, more likely a fourth round pick.

Even if we have to go in to deficit on next year’s draft picks, we most likely drafting academy kids this year (and probably next year as well).
How many Academy kids will Lions take this year and likely range
Ashcroft is clearly top 3

How many Academy kids will Lions take this year and likely range
Ashcroft is clearly top 3
Outside of Ashcroft and Marshall, I’d say the other academy boys haven’t played up to expectations so far.

How many, no idea. Range is dependent on where other clubs bid on them.

We’ll have a better idea after the Championships.

EARLY TOP 40 RANKINGS
  1. JOSH SMILLIE
  2. LEVI ASHCROFT
  3. SID DRAPER
  4. CHRISTIAN MORAES
  5. FINN O'SULLIVAN
  6. JAGGA SMITH
  7. BEN CAMPOREALE
  8. JOE BERRY
  9. LUKE TRAINOR
  10. LEO LOMBARD
  11. TAJ HOTTON
  12. TYLER WELSH
  13. JACK WHITLOCK
  14. TOBIE TRAVAGLIA
  15. TOM GROSS
  16. HARRY O'FARRELL
  17. LUCAS CAMPOREALE
  18. HARVEY LANGFORD
  19. NOAH MRAZ
  20. NATH SULZBERGER
  21. SAM MARSHALL
  22. JOSH MURPHY
  23. MURPHY REID
  24. ZACH JOHNSON
  25. JONTY FAULL
  26. BO ALLAN
  27. JOBE SHANAHAN
  28. XAVIER LINDSEY
  29. SAM CUMMING
  30. LACHIE JAQUES
  31. COOPER HYNES (DS)
  32. JESS DATTOLI
  33. HARRY CHARLESON
  34. THOMAS SIMS
  35. LUCAS MCINERNEY
  36. PHEONIX HARGRAVE
  37. JAYDEN NGUYEN
  38. XAVIER IVISIC
  39. KAYLE GERRYN
  40. LUKE URQUHART
I'd love to know your reasoining behind having four ahead of O'Sullivan, and at least 40 ahead of Sam Lalor?

I'd love to know your reasoining behind having four ahead of O'Sullivan, and at least 40 ahead of Sam Lalor?
Well, that is an easy explanation for both questions.

Sam, to be honest i accidentally left out of my first rankings. But don't worry he will be there in the next update, he was supposed to be in at 17, and to be honest i dont know why nobody else asked the question earlier, i didnt bother changing it because my next updated ranking are due next week. There were actually 3 in total that i left out by accident.

When it comes to the very top end and we are talking about the top 5 here, i ranked them on production this year and unfortunately Finn has been injured, and although Sid has also been injured, i do actually rate what Sid had done previously (last 2 years) to what finn had done higher.

Once the championships are done and dusted that is when the rankings/big boards of most draft watchers/experts are really honed down almost to the point of finalization and its where the mock drafts start.

Last edited:
Well, that is an easy explanation for both questions.

Sam, to be honest i accidentally left out of my first rankings. But don't worry he will be there in the next update, he was supposed to be in at 17, and to be honest i dont know why nobody else asked the question earlier, i didnt bother changing it because my next updated ranking are due next week.

When it comes to the very top end and we are talking about the top 5 here, i ranked them on production this year and unfortunately Finn has been injured, and although Sid has also been injured, i do actually rate what Sid had done previously (last 2 years) to what finn had done higher.

Once the championships are done and dusted that is when the rankings/big boards of most draft watchers/experts are really honed down almost to the point of finalization and its where the mock drafts start.
So you are ranking them as under-18 players not prospective AFL players?

Outside of Ashcroft and Marshall, I’d say the other academy boys haven’t played up to expectations so far.

How many, no idea. Range is dependent on where other clubs bid on them.

We’ll have a better idea after the Championships.
THE_GUN i agree here with briztoon, Ashcroft and possibly Marshall late, who knows if they rookie Gillett or McFadyen but i dont see those guys (at this stage) going in the ND

So you are ranking them as under-18 players not prospective AFL players?
No, not necessarily.
With the ones who haven't played this year, I rank on what I have seen prior and how I see them going forward.
Now that the Aus v Lions and Aus v Dogs games are completed, we get to see more how they translate their traits and game style against bigger bodies and if they can enhance their games when going back and playing the Champs series against their own age again to separate from the rest. Once that is done that is where the rankings really start to take shape and mock drafts come into play. So at the start of the year, most are ranked (by me) on how they are rated against each other at that age and as the year goes forward (after the games against bigger bodies and the champs) my big board looks at how i see them in the future at the higher level. I have always done it that way.

No, not necessarily.
With the ones who haven't played this year, I rank on what I have seen prior and how I see them going forward.
Now that the Aus v Lions and Aus v Dogs games are completed, we get to see more how they translate their traits and game style against bigger bodies and if they can enhance their games when going back and playing the Champs series against their own age again to separate from the rest. Once that is done that is where the rankings really start to take shape and mock drafts come into play. So at the start of the year, most are ranked (by me) on how they are rated against each other at that age and as the year goes forward (after the games against bigger bodies and the champs) my big board looks at how i see them in the future at the higher level. I have always done it that way.
Okay, I'm just trying to get an idea of what the rankings mean. Do they mean that at this point you think Smillie, Ashcroft, Draper and Moraes will be better AFL players than O'Sullivan? Or do you think they are better players right now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back