Draft Expert Davo-27's 2024 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Davo do you watch much aps football to judge players on how they’re tracking for your draft projections?
not much, i dont have infinite time and i focus on games that matter more during the season, the first month of the CTL season, the odd sanfl wafl u18s game, state trials, afl academy games which have all happened within the last 4 weeks, its a lot of content to get through and im always behind a little, i keep an eye on school footy results and the guys that standout, but i dont have the time to go and watch the games tbh.

What would you do with pick 1 if you were North? Straight best available from your list with O’Sullivan, pick a better fit, or trade down?
what i think north should do and what they do, is not the same thing, i thought North shouldve taken Curtin last year instead of McKercher and Duursma, that was the smart play, but they did whatever the fk they want, they also passed up on Logan McDonald when we all said he was a good fit for North, but if you want to know what i would do, i would focus on the best KPP players if i was North, maybe even get Harry O'Farrell and Luke Trainor if they can find a way to get them to sure up their defence for the next 15 years because their defence is lacking a little OR they could look for a partner for Larkey up forward and a quality KPD, one of Jobe Shanahan/Jack Whitlock and Harry O'Farrell/Luke Trainor combo could be a good option for them?, if i was North i would fix the KPP problem already.

Norths KPP from my PoV
Larkey - star
Logue - good defender

Comben - decent player who is injury prone unfortunately
W.Dawson - good potential
Xerri and Goad - decent ruck combo for future

CCJ - dud
Biggie Nyuon - dud

unknown quantities - Pink, Sellers, Maley, K.Dawson, Free

not much, i dont have infinite time and i focus on games that matter more during the season, the first month of the CTL season, the odd sanfl wafl u18s game, state trials, afl academy games which have all happened within the last 4 weeks, its a lot of content to get through and im always behind a little, i keep an eye on school footy results and the guys that standout, but i dont have the time to go and watch the games tbh.
Carey vs Caulfield round 1 some boys put up some massive numbers.
Jesse dattoli NK - 41d 23cp 16c
Zane Cochrane OKL - 38d 16cp 7c
Oliver Warburton MB - 37d 9m
Murphy Reid SD - 36d 8i50 8m
Pat retscko OKL - 33d 7i50 5g

Updated top 50 - May (Early)

1. Finn O'Sullivan - Oakleigh (VC) - 182cm
2. Levi Ashcroft - Sandringham (Bris FS) - 179cm
3. Jobe Shanahan - Bendigo (NSW) - 194cm
4. Josh Smillie - Eastern - 194cm
5. Leonardo Lombard - GCS A - 178cm
6. Harry O'Farrell - Calder - 196cm
7. Jagga Smith - Oakleigh - 181cm
8. Sid Draper - Sth Adel - 180cm
9. Jonty Faull - GWV - 195cm
10. Josh Murphy - Murray - 190cm
11. Tobie Travaglia - Bendigo - 187cm
12. Tyler Welsh - WWT (Adel FS)- 191cm
13. Taj Hotton - Sandringham - 182cm
14. Christian Moraes - Eastern - 183cm
15. Jack Whitlock - Murray - 200cm
16. Phoenix Hargrave - Sth Adel - 182cm
17. Tom Gross - Oakleigh - 181cm
18. Xavier Lindsay - Gippsland - 183cm
19. Luke Trainor - Sandringham - 194cm
20. Ben Camporeale - Glenlg (Carl FS) - 186cm
21. Lucas Camporeale - Glenlg (Carl FS) - 185cm
22. Harvey Langford - Dandenong - 190cm
23. Lucas McInerney - Northern - 180cm
24. Isaac Kako - Calder (Ess NGA) - 175cm
25. Sam Lalor - GWV - 187cm
26. Noah Mraz - Dandenong - 198cm
27. Jesse Dattoli - Northern - 179cm
28. Murphy Reid - Sandringham - 180cm
29. Benny Barrett - Sth Adel (Port NGA) - 174cm
30. Sam Marshall - Sandringham (Bris A) - 185cm
31. Zaydyn Lockwood - Bendigo - 198cm
32. Kayle Gerryn - West Perth - 199cm
33. Cooper Hynes - Dandenong - 190cm
34. Joe Berry - Murray - 180cm
35. Zak Johnson - Northern - 185cm
36. Patrick Retschko - Oakleigh - 186cm
37. Joe Harrison - Syd A - 179cm
38. Otis Harvey - Swan Dist - 182cm
39. Matt Whitlock - Murray - 197cm
40. Archer Day-Wicks - Bendigo - 186cm
41. Louis Montgomery - Nth Adel (Port FS) - 184cm
42. Malakai Champion - Subiaco - 172cm
43. Austin Van Der Struyf - Claremont - 178cm
44. Damon Hollow - Calder - 180cm
45. Nathaniel Sulzberger - Sandringham/Tas - 184cm
46. Kade Herbert - WWT - 184cm
47. Lucca Grego - Western - 184cm
48. Doug Kerr - Oakleigh - 192cm
49. Bo Allan - Peel - 191cm
50. Nash King - Calder - 181cm

more to keep an eye on...

Jak Ryan - Eastern - 176
Adrian Cole - Sandringham - 195
Lachie Jaques - Geelong - 184
Max Stobie - Gippsland - 180
River Stevens - Geelong - 176
Cohen Paul - Murray - 193
James Barratt - Bendigo - 193
Flynn Penry - GWV 201cm
Ned Atkinson - Sturt 181cm
Jacob Newton - Norwood 176cm
Chayse Martinson - Swan Dist - 180cm
Hugh Boxshall - Clare - 187cm

what are your thoughts on cohen paul?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

what are your thoughts on cohen paul?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
He has been alright on the wing for Murray, but probably had his best game I've seen him play at the trials, some players lift when they play rep footy and he could be one of those? I'm curious if he gets picked for VC and how he goes if he does.

from the Vic Metro v Vic Country Trials i thought some players improved their position and some seemed to drop off a little, i want to edit the teams i think should play championships from the Vic Teams seeing as its an early focus

Vic Metro
B: Thomas Wenzel, Harry O'Farrell, Luke Quaynor
HB: Jayden Nguyen, Lucas Tovey, Luke Trainor

C: Taj Hotton, Josh Smillie, Lucas McInerney
R: Iliro Smit, Levi Ashcroft, Christian Moraes

HF: Jesse Dattoli, Archie Ludowyke, Jagga Smith
F: Isaac Kako, Gabriel Stumpf, Bailey McKenzie

INT: Tom Gross, Murphy Reid, Damon Hollow, Cody Anderson, Liam Callaghan, Charlie Richardson, Keighton Matofai-Forbes, Zane Cochrane, Doug Kerr, Zak Johnson, Lucca Grego, Jak Ryan (Adrian Cole?)

Vic Country
B: Lachie Jaques, Zaydyn Lockwood, Tobie Travaglia
HB: Jobe Scapin, Noah Mraz, Max Stobie

C: Cohen Paul, Cooper Hynes, Xavier Lindsay
R: Joe Pike, Finn O'Sullivan, River Stevens

HF: Harvey Langford, Jack Whitlock, Jasper Alger
F: Joe Berry, Zac McInnes , Will McLachlan

INT: Zac Harding, Oliver Warburton, Riley Onley, Noah Hibbins-Hargreaves, James Barrat, Willem Duursma, Max Donohue, Jack Ough, Ben Rongdit, Matt Whitlock, Xavier Ivisic, Tom Evans

i think Finn should be fit to play, Faull, Lalor, Day-Wicks, Penry and Unwin injured atm, they should be possibles to come in when fit
Penry is a bloody big unit now, not that skinny beanpole he was formerly, both he and Lalor are back playing APS the last couple of weeks.

Capture.PNG

GEELONG COLLEGE​

#15 River Stevens

The North Melbourne father-son prospect started with a bang by kicking the first goal of the match and silenced the Geelong Grammar crowd when he slotted a cracking drop punt from the left pocket in the second term. Stevens then lifted when the game was on the line in the second half as he led Geelong College to victory. The creative midfielder-forward finished with 21 disposals, 11 contested possessions, five inside 50s, 2.1, 100 Premier Data ranking points and, most importantly, the best-on-ground medal. The son of Roos legend Anthony is putting together an impressive draft year to date.

#52 Jack Henderson

Set the tone by crunching his Geelong Falcons Xavier Ivisic with a big bump early in the piece on the wing. Flourished on the inside up against Lalor and Ivisic and spread well on the outside to provide an option, racking up a team-high 126 ranking points, 24 disposals, 13 contested possessions, 10 marks and six clearances.

#41 Archer Hanegraaf

Hanegraaf was another Geelong College player to take it up to Lalor and Ivisic, winning a team-high seven clearances among his 16 disposals and laying a game-high nine tackles. The Geelong Falcon also kicked a goal to finish with 86 ranking points.

#66 Charlie Hanegraaf

The under-16s Falcon nearly outdid his older brother. He showed off his burst of speed by burning off Geelong Grammar chasers with a blistering run and had a major influence on the inside against Grammar’s bullocking on-ball brigade. The Year 10 talent racked up 20 disposals, 13 contested possessions, five clearances and slotted a nice goal in the third quarter set up by Stevens.

#18 Sam Sinnott

The Geelong College captain distributed the ball well out of defence and also impacted defensively. Sinnott had 18 kicks out of his 20 disposals – hitting the target with 80 per cent of them – and put on six spoils, scoring 77 ranking points.

#54 – Charlie Lawless

Lawless had made a promising start to the year and the Year 11 key defender stood up on the big stage. The Anglesea product was regularly matched up on the dangerous Sam Lalor when he was up forward and defended strongly, putting on seven spoils and clunking a big intercept mark in the first half.

GEELONG GRAMMAR​

#15 Ben Rongdit

A name for Cats fans to track closely as he is tied to the club as a Next Generation Academy prospect for 2025. Rongdit’s ceiling might be as high as his leap – and that’s saying something. The Geelong Next Generation Academy prospect soared into the sky on numerous occasions, including a third quarter hanger, taking three intercept marks and putting on three spoils. His ability to follow up at ground level after competing in the air is rare in a player his size, also laying five tackles for the match. The Colac product scored 109 rankings points but his impact was as big as any Geelong Grammar player.
#4 Sam Lalor

Still easing his way back from a hip injury, the potential top-10 prospect split his time between the midfield and forward and clunked two big contested marks, including one in a pack deep inside 50. The AFL Academy member was a bull in the clinches when he went in there, winning 12 contested possessions and six clearances, but he went at just 47 per cent efficiency as Geelong College gave him little time and space. He strolled into an open goal in the second quarter and finished with 19 touches and 67 points.

#6 Flynn Penry

Penry won all 20 of his disposals in a contest, taking three contested marks and winning eight clearances. However, his kicking left a bit to be desired at times with some costly turnovers. The GWV Rebels ruckman was also strong in the ruck with 31 hit-outs as he tallied 124 ranking points.

#17 Xavier Ivisic

Won a stack of it early and his ball-winning continued throughout the day. Showed his impressive inside-outside mix with 24 disposals, 11 contested possessions, seven clearances, six inside 50s, 113 ranking points and a classy goal on the run in the third quarter that put Geelong Grammar back in front.

#21 Marley McCombe

Is recognised more as a stopper but McCombe impressed as a distributor on Saturday. He racked up 24 disposals, seven marks, six rebound 50s and 113 points across halfback and was named in Grammar’s best players. He hasn’t featured for the Geelong Falcons yet this season but he has put up some strong performances at APS level.

#8 Sam de Steiger

The key forward was prominent inside 50 and as a relief ruck, and he could have finished with a few goals if he had kicked straight. De Steiger tallied 14 possessions (10 of those won in a contest), four clearances, 1.2 and also set up a goal for Lalor to finish with 81 ranking points.

#27 Ollie Peake

The cricket prodigy was lively throughout up forward and clearly has some talent on the footy field. Peake slotted Geelong Grammar’s first goal of the match and gave the crowd a bow and arrow celebration. He then bobbed up to kick his second in the last quarter to give his side a fighting chance. Peake had 14 disposals, four inside 50s, 2.2 and 83 points.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Penry is a bloody big unit now, not that skinny beanpole he was formerly, both he and Lalor are back playing APS the last couple of weeks.

View attachment 1984029

GEELONG COLLEGE​

#15 River Stevens

The North Melbourne father-son prospect started with a bang by kicking the first goal of the match and silenced the Geelong Grammar crowd when he slotted a cracking drop punt from the left pocket in the second term. Stevens then lifted when the game was on the line in the second half as he led Geelong College to victory. The creative midfielder-forward finished with 21 disposals, 11 contested possessions, five inside 50s, 2.1, 100 Premier Data ranking points and, most importantly, the best-on-ground medal. The son of Roos legend Anthony is putting together an impressive draft year to date.

#52 Jack Henderson

Set the tone by crunching his Geelong Falcons Xavier Ivisic with a big bump early in the piece on the wing. Flourished on the inside up against Lalor and Ivisic and spread well on the outside to provide an option, racking up a team-high 126 ranking points, 24 disposals, 13 contested possessions, 10 marks and six clearances.

#41 Archer Hanegraaf

Hanegraaf was another Geelong College player to take it up to Lalor and Ivisic, winning a team-high seven clearances among his 16 disposals and laying a game-high nine tackles. The Geelong Falcon also kicked a goal to finish with 86 ranking points.

#66 Charlie Hanegraaf

The under-16s Falcon nearly outdid his older brother. He showed off his burst of speed by burning off Geelong Grammar chasers with a blistering run and had a major influence on the inside against Grammar’s bullocking on-ball brigade. The Year 10 talent racked up 20 disposals, 13 contested possessions, five clearances and slotted a nice goal in the third quarter set up by Stevens.

#18 Sam Sinnott

The Geelong College captain distributed the ball well out of defence and also impacted defensively. Sinnott had 18 kicks out of his 20 disposals – hitting the target with 80 per cent of them – and put on six spoils, scoring 77 ranking points.

#54 – Charlie Lawless

Lawless had made a promising start to the year and the Year 11 key defender stood up on the big stage. The Anglesea product was regularly matched up on the dangerous Sam Lalor when he was up forward and defended strongly, putting on seven spoils and clunking a big intercept mark in the first half.

GEELONG GRAMMAR​

#15 Ben Rongdit

A name for Cats fans to track closely as he is tied to the club as a Next Generation Academy prospect for 2025. Rongdit’s ceiling might be as high as his leap – and that’s saying something. The Geelong Next Generation Academy prospect soared into the sky on numerous occasions, including a third quarter hanger, taking three intercept marks and putting on three spoils. His ability to follow up at ground level after competing in the air is rare in a player his size, also laying five tackles for the match. The Colac product scored 109 rankings points but his impact was as big as any Geelong Grammar player.
#4 Sam Lalor

Still easing his way back from a hip injury, the potential top-10 prospect split his time between the midfield and forward and clunked two big contested marks, including one in a pack deep inside 50. The AFL Academy member was a bull in the clinches when he went in there, winning 12 contested possessions and six clearances, but he went at just 47 per cent efficiency as Geelong College gave him little time and space. He strolled into an open goal in the second quarter and finished with 19 touches and 67 points.

#6 Flynn Penry

Penry won all 20 of his disposals in a contest, taking three contested marks and winning eight clearances. However, his kicking left a bit to be desired at times with some costly turnovers. The GWV Rebels ruckman was also strong in the ruck with 31 hit-outs as he tallied 124 ranking points.

#17 Xavier Ivisic

Won a stack of it early and his ball-winning continued throughout the day. Showed his impressive inside-outside mix with 24 disposals, 11 contested possessions, seven clearances, six inside 50s, 113 ranking points and a classy goal on the run in the third quarter that put Geelong Grammar back in front.

#21 Marley McCombe

Is recognised more as a stopper but McCombe impressed as a distributor on Saturday. He racked up 24 disposals, seven marks, six rebound 50s and 113 points across halfback and was named in Grammar’s best players. He hasn’t featured for the Geelong Falcons yet this season but he has put up some strong performances at APS level.

#8 Sam de Steiger

The key forward was prominent inside 50 and as a relief ruck, and he could have finished with a few goals if he had kicked straight. De Steiger tallied 14 possessions (10 of those won in a contest), four clearances, 1.2 and also set up a goal for Lalor to finish with 81 ranking points.

#27 Ollie Peake

The cricket prodigy was lively throughout up forward and clearly has some talent on the footy field. Peake slotted Geelong Grammar’s first goal of the match and gave the crowd a bow and arrow celebration. He then bobbed up to kick his second in the last quarter to give his side a fighting chance. Peake had 14 disposals, four inside 50s, 2.2 and 83 points.
i really like Penry, but VC have a couple 19 yo rucks in Doherty - Dand and Pike - Geel, then you have Harding from Murray who is a big body who some like ahead of him, hopefully he gets some champs games to test himself, because every pressure game he sems to deliver.

Last edited:

View attachment 1984029

GEELONG COLLEGE​

#15 River Stevens

#52 Jack Henderson

#41 Archer Hanegraaf

#66 Charlie Hanegraaf

#18 Sam Sinnott

#54 – Charlie Lawless

GEELONG GRAMMAR​

#15 Ben Rongdit

#4 Sam Lalor

#6 Flynn Penry

#17 Xavier Ivisic

#21 Marley McCombe

#8 Sam de Steiger

#27 Ollie Peake

Jesus H Christ who is that massive ranga?

Thoughts on the draftability of Gabriel Stumpf? Moves well and I think he plays taller than his listed height (only listed as 194 in the Vic Metro squad announcement). I feel like he could be worth trying as a mobile defender, I wouldn't the Blues picking up a similar type with a rookie pick.

Thoughts on the draftability of Gabriel Stumpf? Moves well and I think he plays taller than his listed height (only listed as 194 in the Vic Metro squad announcement). I feel like he could be worth trying as a mobile defender, I wouldn't the Blues picking up a similar type with a rookie pick.
i mentioned him earlier in the year, theres been 2 talls from Northern Knights that have popped up out of nowhere this year, Gabriel moves well and looks the more athletic prospect with good movement and leading ability, Thomas Sims is another from the Northern Knights, he is a slower more contested mark, bigger bodied forward that has been good for Northern up forward and leading to the wings and has kicked a few goals and he is in the VM squad as well.

Gabriel Stumpf was a standout at the trials, another that kept his best performance playing at a higher level in the trials, he is worth drafting imo a Key Position size, good movement and athletic, a team could develop him at either end, the champs, finals series and combine will indicate where in the draft, but i would be surprised if he was to miss getting drafted, although each year theres about 5-10 im surprised didnt get drafted so theres no guarantees until draft night. (maybe the ones that miss getting drafted interview badly?, have bad medical reports? or have bad attitudes?)

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back