Preview Rd 6 Geelong V Brisbane Sat April 20 720 pm @ Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. What it would take for me to accept that he was genuinely managed would be for Conway to play well, but Stanley still to come straight back in the next week.

It's no coincidence IMO that the other "managed" player is the one who is now, performance-wise, right on the periphery of the 22 and also coming up hard on the end of his career.

That probably will happen because dekoning at the big mcg is not a good matchup for conway and i doubt we risk the kid vs gawn.
I suspect no matter this weekends game stanley plays the next 2 and then conway probably plays vs port or gws at home.

No. What it would take for me to accept that he was genuinely managed would be for Conway to play well, but Stanley still to come straight back in the next week.
CS is not afraid to play his respected players at VFL level if down on form, going right back to 2011, Mooney, Milburn.
How would Stanley regain form by not playing at all?
Managed for me, but I accept your point.

If I were him and Hawk didn't hang up the boots at the end of the year, I'd go. The guy is ready to be playing AFL now.

Hes contracted and we arent going to let neale go this year because we would struggle to get a decent replacement on the market. By the end of 2025 hawkins will retire and neale will have a spot.

I also agree with that. Even Furphy and Edwards - green as they are - are injured.

They are and they arent ready anyway. The only real ruck option other than stanley and conway is neale and i dont think he could do that full time. My point was more we wont put stanley in the vfl because we need to reduce the risk he gets injured as we lack ruck depth. Whereas guys like rohan and tuohy can play vfl as we have better depth in their positions.

CS is not afraid to play his respected players at VFL level if down on form, going right back to 2011, Mooney, Milburn.
How would Stanley regain form by not playing at all?
Oh, if Stanley were out for long enough he'd play VFL. Same as Dal and Higgins. But the first time they were omitted, they were "managed".

The issue with Stanley as such isn't a form issue. We know what Stanley can do, and what he can't. The issue is determining whether his decline and Conway's ascent is such that one has yet passed the other.

Oh, if Stanley were out for long enough he'd play VFL. Same as Dal and Higgins. But the first time they were omitted, they were "managed".

The issue with Stanley as such isn't a form issue. We know what Stanley can do, and what he can't. The issue is determining whether his decline and Conway's ascent is such that one has yet passed the other.
Both CS and Stanley talked about that last week. Stanley is fully accepting that this will happen, just not sure if it's now or a gradual occurrence this year. The latter makes sense.

Time shall tell.
The key forward situation reminds of how quarterbacks are treated over in the states. Similar in the respect that you can only really have one.

You've got the champion who really should be done by now, but his performance suggests otherwise, while the youngster is doing all the right things and biding his time.

Much like you've said with Neale, most of the time the kid gets sick of waiting and goes and plays somewhere else...but there are cases where the transition is seemless. The clubs usually have to tap the veteran on the shoulder to make it happen though.

Young & Montana being the best example, and now Rodgers & Love this season.

Last edited:
I think he'll be spared the ignominy.

But IMO nobody is playing North Melbourne at home when we are 4-0 up to start the season, and is then managed for the clash against last year's runner-up interstate. I am pretty sure it's performance, not rest.

IIRC, Higgins and Dalhaus were "managed" - but then reappeared later in the VFL.
So you're saying Conway is the new No. 1? And they are playing Stanley only against lesser teams?
Doesn't quite fit as Conway only played the one game against the Hawks and was then omitted. Meanwhile Stanley came in and had an excellent game v the dogs.
This is the new norm. Good players are gonna be managed during the season. Even in big games. It's the way to utilise the list depth.

I dont think its really about ascent though its about when does conway build his endurance to a point where he can play at least 70 % afl tog week in week out. Injuries have made it hard for him to build the running base but once he does he will go straight past stanley i think. Hence for now conway will play more on the smaller grounds and wont play every game at the mcg or optus etc until he builds the endurance...he will job share with stanley.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stanley can't be out for long enough to be playing back into form in the 2s because Conway can barely play out single a game let alone 2 in a row.

If Stanley is injured our ruck combo will end up Blitz/Neale by week 2 or 3

Should be a cracking game.

I reckon the Lions started the season a bit underdone like us last year and are now building some match fitness as a group. When they're on, they look pretty slick.

It'll be the first live game for me since that Gabba one last year. That game was a shocker for both teams really. We were walking wounded. They were in a bit of a slump. It was TKO territory. The time before that in 2021 wasn't any better. One of the most insipid displays I've witnessed. So us Queensland fans have been pretty starved of the "real" Geelong turning up, at least since the 2020 prelim.

This time the sides are at decent strength, building some momentum, have something to prove. I'm expecting a great spectacle and a narrow cats win. Dangerfield with the clincher like in the game v the saints.

Last year's game was a shocker. I walked away thinking neither would really threaten a serious run - guess I was half wrong!

Yeah, 2020 was fantastic (other than the ending) but it's been lean pickings since. This week's going to be a serious test, and it'd be a huge win for us to get over the line.

Wicketkeepers, ruckmen...
Yep, QBs are the obvious comparison for me because they're just so valuable.

Much like a key forward, you can't get by if you've got a bad one.

On Neale though, he'll stay IMO. There's every chance he's handed the keys by round 1 next year, much like Conway.

He's spoken publicly about how much the apprenticeship has helped him, and how he treasures learning from Hawk & Jez everyday.

As we saw on the weekend, it's created a scenario where he can come in and perform right away, rather than pumping 50 games into him before he's competitive.

There's still going to be teething issues when he gets the full time gig, but the learning and development has given him a great platform now.

He really is a great kid. If you've got time, you should check out the podcast he did with BodyMajic.

Very level headed for such a young man, and he'll know that his time his coming.

A year since his last outing, I would heavily question that

That's since his last senior outing

He did play VFL at the end of last season in case we scraped into finals

People reading way too much into the Conway vs Stanley decision. We need to get games into Conway and don't want to burn out Stanley. He played his best game in ages against the Dogs. He has absolutely not been dropped and if we were playing a GF he'd be playing.

Conway is behind Stanley but not miles behind. The chance we lose the game because of that decision is remote. And if we lose the game we're still 5-1 and will make top 4 from there if we're any real shot at the flag.

People reading way too much into the Conway vs Stanley decision. We need to get games into Conway and don't want to burn out Stanley. He played his best game in ages against the Dogs. He has absolutely not been dropped and if we were playing a GF he'd be playing.

Conway is behind Stanley but not miles behind. The chance we lose the game because of that decision is remote. And if we lose the game we're still 5-1 and will make top 4 from there if we're any real shot at the flag.
D BRIDGE and I called this a couple weeks ago. It should be a rotation most weeks.

We need to get games into Conway because he's going to be the number 1 ruckman by next year, and Stanley is twice the player he normally is when he's fresh. It's a win-win.

He is being genuinely managed IMO, and will be back next week. We'll need him covering TDK on the wide open MCG, and he's every chance of winning that battle off a break.

Touhy on the other hand, that has Higgins/Dalhaus circa 2022 'managed' written all over it.

Thats all fair.
Its just interesting because tactically the easier call would have been to rest stanley against a bottom 4 side last week and play him this week against a better side. Thats the interesting decision.

There's a lot of outdated thinking on BigFooty that is difficult to shift. And within that there's a lot on our board and how the team, gameplan and players are managed.

The heavy midfield rotations with low time on ground is a classic example.

Stanley and Conway both genuinely first choice (for now) but picking and choosing the right games for either, is another one.

Thats all fair.
Its just interesting because tactically the easier call would have been to rest stanley against a bottom 4 side last week and play him this week against a better side. Thats the interesting decision.
Maybe Conway was better suited to Big O, and Stanley to Xerri?

Maybe they aren't ready for Conway to have back to back games against strong opposition yet, but wanted to give him a taste against one?

Maybe Stanley will only play 2 games in a row maximum to manage his load this season?

Or a bunch of other factors.

There's a lot of outdated thinking on BigFooty that is difficult to shift. And within that there's a lot on our board and how the team, gameplan and players are managed.

The heavy midfield rotations with low time on ground is a classic example.

Stanley and Conway both genuinely first choice (for now) but picking and choosing the right games for either, is another one.
That one is never going to change no matter what happens.

If a premiership can't stop posters from going "hUr DeRR why doN'T OuR MiDs Get MORe oF the baLL?" then nothing will.

Lower TOG = Less opportunity to acquire possessions. I can't believe how hard that has been for some to grasp.

We did it though a 16 game winning streak, resulting in a fresh group come September which dominated the finals.

We've been April premiers plenty of times. I'd say we would all prefer the real thing, but some don't and prefer the eye popping stats for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back