Preview Rd 7 Geelong V Carlton Sat April 27 435 pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said it in another thread but MOC is almost like a mini Blics
Isn't elite at any position but very handy at pretty much all of them
He can play
Defence, wing, mid, tagging mid and even forward to decent levels
He has a good mark is generally safe with the ball and loves a tackle (both ways)
More confident in his own decisions and abilities, rather than dish off, he is backing himself in.
Also teammates seem more confident to use him than in the past. Gets more rewards for his hard running
Good signs

It's still VERY early days, but some trends are emerging this season compared to 2023:

Tackles1st10th
Tackles i509th17th
Pressure acts2nd12th
Spoils4th17th
1%er differential4th16th
Intercepts2nd9th
Ground ball gets3rd10th
Rebound 50s3rd17th
Rebound 50 rate (% of i50's repelled)2nd14th
Score launch differential1st9th
Goal assist differential1st6th

Our pressure around congestion and on opposition ball carriers during transition has lifted significantly. We are then able to force scrappy opposition disposals that we can mark or spoil. We are using those intercepts to generate score launches with wide open space to let our elite forwards get to work. And when the ball hits the deck we have been much sharper. Overall this is creating our efficiency compared to opposition, i.e the quality vs quantity of ball use. Our defensive structure is holding up much better. This will be tested by Carlton's elite midfield delivering to their twin towers without Stewart to peel off. But it appears that these are the KPI's working for the Cats so far and hopefully something we can maintain as the quality of opposition increases.

Those stats are huge thanks for that

Prior to that he was one of Champion Data's top 5 rated wingmen. He pushes up the ground and gets about twice as many disposals as Rohan. I don't see them as like for like.

O.Henry plays a more similar position to Rohan.
Champion Data has found that Geelong tends to * with their position-based categorisations :)

They aren't like-for-like, but people are just floating Dempsey as the out because the others are completely and utterly undroppable. Not that I would drop Dempsey either

Champion Data has found that Geelong tends to * with their position-based categorisations :)

They aren't like-for-like, but people are just floating Dempsey as the out because the others are completely and utterly undroppable. Not that I would drop Dempsey either
True, but I just meant he is definitely doing a lot of "wingmen things", even the dropping into defensive 50 to help with rebounds. Rohan surely is best 23, but role-wise there will need to be some shuffling if he's to come in. There doesn't look like an obvious like-for-like swap that would happen.

Depends which Rohan we are considering.
He can be a match winner or a passenger but his speed, pressure and X factor probably gets him the gig
I know we're already having this discussion somewhere in the Best 23 thread, but I can't see one member of our current forward line who I'd drop for him.

Plus, when you say match winner... it's been one or two matches (QF vs Collingwood) in the last few years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couple of weeks ago Scott said when he’s ready he’s 100% in our best 22. Problem is I feel like he has said that about 30 of our players. Math doesn’t add up Chris
He's not the type of coach to chuck players under buses, not in front of the media anyway.

I know we're already having this discussion somewhere in the Best 23 thread, but I can't see one member of our current forward line who I'd drop for him.

Plus, when you say match winner... it's been one or two matches (QF vs Collingwood) in the last few years.
The beauty of Rohan when he's up and running is that he provides a target like a kpf and also pressures like small. It's a huge advantage imo. If he's not in the starting line-up, he would make a perfect choice as sub. The question is how many games can he stay up and running for in 2024. I'd be happy to see him brought into the side just before finals and make an impact when it matters.

He's not the type of coach to chuck players under buses, not in front of the media anyway.
A different type of under the bus but I hope he hasn't thrown Guthrie under the bus bringing him back off no games in forever against the very good midfields of the Blue's and Dee's the following week.Our VFL side plays the next two week managed time in both those would seem reasonable to me with a planed return v Port at home the following week, there is forever left in this season I can't for the life of me see the rush.

Cats brought back experience: Rhys : Guth : Zak
Games against contenders are taken seriously.
Baggers board believes Cats are battered n bruised.
Fantasise that Cats will fold under Blues pressure.
Who are the Contenders? Who are the Pretenders?
Cats footy lesson awaits : 4:30 pm Saturday 27th
No backward steps : No mercy : No excuses

cat file nailsa.gif

The beauty of Rohan when he's up and running is that he provides a target like a kpf and also pressures like small
I feel like we really overstate his qualities as an attacking target, though. He wins very, very little football - it's hardly like he's a massive threat for the opposition to contain.

I feel like we really overstate his qualities as an attacking target, though. He wins very, very little football - it's hardly like he's a massive threat for the opposition to contain.
Correct he has never been a big possesion play his one wood is pace and physical plus perceived pressure but we all know that, perfect sub and good type to have up your sleeve if a couple of forwards fall over.

Hes probably our best pack marking aerial target. Hawkins can't jump anymore and Henry has the unfortunate habit of running under the ball.

I disagree - I think his contested marking is underrated. The point is that he terrorises opposition defenders with his closing speed when they're trying to set up plays from the back half AND only needs a few marks inside 50 to really hurt teams on the attacking side of things, being also a very good set shot. Give me a 5 possession game when he does those 2 things and I'm satisfied.

Hes probably our best pack marking aerial target. Hawkins can't jump anymore and Henry has the unfortunate habit of running under the ball.
O.Henry running under the ball I don't remember that last year but so far this season it's comical he's getting nowhere near it at times.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back