Preview Rd 6 Geelong V Brisbane Sat April 20 720 pm @ Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Touhy being managed is probably just that. I heard from someone at the club a few years back that he could barely walk after games. His body is probably shot by now and needs more of a break.

He’s been unlucky with some shots at goal that missed in the early rounds, kicks those and the pressure is off. He ran the most repeat sprints in a game in round 3?

I wouldn’t underestimate him, he’ll be back.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

From what I saw Neale is a beast, is strong and is smart. The internal messaging around just that will be elite I have no doubt.

He should know by now that he is in the team sooner rather than later and is a huge part of the team's future. The Norf game confirmed it for most of us, but more importantly it should do so for him too.

And (as I half expect) if Hawk hangs the boots up this year, Neale will be the man.
I suspect we will need Neale sooner than later. He showed something that has never really been Tomahawk's forte, forward defensive pressure.

Or Hawkins plays more limited games ..caveat would be if he wins a flag this year might go out on Top like his best mate
Possible but if i am a player who believes he is ready for AFL level and the coaching group keep telling me and everyone else that i am ready am i really willing to be told ok Hawkins is going around another year we will try and get 10 games into you this year.

I am at least exploring my options and see if anyone who needs a key forward/forward ruck.

If Hawkins goes around again we need to either play Neale almost every game and play a taller forward line or rest Hawkins every second game so Neale can at least get 12-15 games
As i don't think resting Hawkins every 3rd game or less which would see Neale get what 7 or less games or so is enough.

I suspect we will need Neale sooner than later. He showed something that has never really been Tomahawk's forte, forward defensive pressure.
I'm leaning towards Hawkins retiring end of 2024, ala Selwood's decision in 2022. No matter his form line and no matter what happens with the club.

Cameron, Neale and O.Henry as the targets 2025 onwards.

Clark i do agree probably needs a rest (wouldnt be surprised if we swap him for mannagh next week). But neale in would make us too tall the ball would rebound out of our forward line.
Tomahawk is one of the reasons the ball rebounds out of our forward 50. He applies very little forward defensive pressure. It is much less likely to happen with Neal in there. The selection committee obviously thinks Hawkins forward craft more than makes up for his defensive failings.

Tomahawk is one of the reasons the ball rebounds out of our forward 50. He applies very little forward defensive pressure. It is much less likely to happen with Neal in there. The selection committee obviously thinks Hawkins forward craft more than makes up for his defensive failings.
Been hearing this for the last 10 years …almost as if he’s insignificant…I think posters fail to realise what Hawkins actually provides to the team defensively

And Neale has some defensive development to do , he does fall back to the right spots and has trouble reading the defensive plays …so he’s not bringing in more defensively than what Hawkins does in the F50 anyway imo

He is a liability in that sense but for now remains a strong fulcrum to base our attacking system around. Once his score involvements and assists drop off for a prolonged period (longer than so far in 2024) then the cons will outweigh the pros.

I think he has it in him to have a good 2024 and retire on a high, then Neale will add something different next year (and sometimes this year).

Been hearing this for the last 10 years …almost as if he’s insignificant…I think posters fail to realise what Hawkins actually provides to the team defensively

And Neale has some defensive development to do , he does fall back to the right spots and has trouble reading the defensive plays …so he’s not bringing in more defensively than what Hawkins does in the F50 anyway imo
I'd be interested to understand what defensive pressure Hawkins brings to the team in his recent outings. Hawkins is good when he can get a break on his opponent and he is a beautiful set kick. His forward ruck work is handy and his goal assists are important. However, when the ball comes in hot through the air, he struggles to influence the contest and sometimes doesn't even struggle. It is hard to watch. It was good for a change to see Neale at full forward working hard to contest those incoming balls and not allowing his opponent to take uncontested marks and run off him.

Last edited:
I can see all of Neale, Hawkins and Cameron in the same team with Cameron spending more time roaming upfield in more of a flanker/winger role as the season progresses. The use of Stanley in the 2022 finals shows that CS is quite prepared to utilise unconventional field positions. Both Blics and Cameron roaming the field will create quite a few headaches for opponents.

On CPH1831 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think he'll be spared the ignominy.

But IMO nobody is playing North Melbourne at home when we are 4-0 up to start the season, and is then managed for the clash against last year's runner-up interstate. I am pretty sure it's performance, not rest.

IIRC, Higgins and Dalhaus were "managed" - but then reappeared later in the VFL.

Can't be performance as his last two weeks have been good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tom's rarely done it, so I'm not sure why you're so concerned about it now. In fact most KPF don't do it, or if they do, it's a sporadic thing.

It's also why they love having Rohan there, as his work often equates to that of two men with the amount of chasing and harassing he does. Add in Stengle, Close, Miers and even Jez at times, there's enough defensive pressure there to cause problems.

No. What it would take for me to accept that he was genuinely managed would be for Conway to play well, but Stanley still to come straight back in the next week.

It's no coincidence IMO that the other "managed" player is the one who is now, performance-wise, right on the periphery of the 22 and also coming up hard on the end of his career.
Stanley will play next week, regardless of how well Conway plays.

We have 2 decent rucks, our better option (Right now) is an older player, we are taking the chance to give him regular rest whilst introducing the young raw guy into AFL level slowly.

It is the definition of managing our resources. We are able to do so because we are 5-0.

Last week he got pretty well beaten by Xerri.
"Well beaten" is a huge stretch. It was quite an even battle.

NM had 13 more hitouts than our ruckmen but our midfielders won clearances anyway, so how damaging was Xerri's tap work?

Similar disposal counts but Stanley had more than double the metres gained. Stanley had an extra mark. Xerri tackled a lot more and an extra clearance.

Xerri had 8 turnovers compared to Stanley's 2! Stanley had 7 score involvements to Xerri's 4.

Points split, more or less.

NM had 13 more hitouts than our ruckmen but our midfielders won clearances anyway, so how damaging was Xerri's tap work?

Similar disposal counts but Stanley had more than double the metres gained. Stanley had an extra mark. Xerri tackled a lot more and an extra clearance.

Xerri had 8 turnovers compared to Stanley's 2! Stanley had 7 score involvements to Xerri's 4.

Stanley's number also came from 16 fewer ruck contests

I can see all of Neale, Hawkins and Cameron in the same team with Cameron spending more time roaming upfield in more of a flanker/winger role as the season progresses. The use of Stanley in the 2022 finals shows that CS is quite prepared to utilise unconventional field positions. Both Blics and Cameron roaming the field will create quite a few headaches for opponents.

On CPH1831 using BigFooty.com mobile app
I thought we were going to see that this round tbh. Maybe we still will with a late change?

I agree that Cameron wing experiment might start to become a little more mainstream. In which case I expected Neale to play. But maybe if Cameron does play wing more this week without Neale playing it says they are happy with Blitz sneaking forward more (I have noticed that a little) and/or a more mid size option (both ollies were crashing contests last week) and they go with just Hawk as mainstay??

Not what I would do but…

Not very. Xerri had 39 hitouts to Stanley's 21, but both had 9 hitouts to advantage. I'd argue Stanley was better around the ground.

Was a good battle, really. Neither were well beaten.

There is zero chance Neale is arrogant enough to think, "Why are the Cats not pushing the legendary Tom Hawkins out of the team to make way for me? Better pop off and sign with another club." He knows his time will come.

I'd be interested to understand what defensive pressure Hawkins brings to the team in his recent outings. Hawkins is good when he can get a break on his opponent and he is a beautiful set kick. His forward ruck work is handy and his goal assists are important. However, when the ball comes in hot through the air, he struggles to influence the contest and sometimes doesn't even struggle. It is hard to watch. It was good for a change to see Neale at full forward working hard to contest those incoming balls and not allowing his opponent to take uncontested marks and run off him.
There’s more to defensive acts than contested marking crashing , you often see him double teamed that leaves another player free to roam further up or around him …this is nothing new he hasn’t been a crash and bash player ever we had several players over the years playing that role …Hawkins plays to his defensive strength just because Neale offers something else doesn’t negate t Hawkins previous 340 odd games he deserves to go out on his own shield rather than being pushed aside soley for the sake of youth.

As much as I like Neale he has a lot to work with and his time will come no need to rush it just for the sake of contested marking defensive acts.

fickle, fickle people.

we don't need him to be chasing down opponents, it's not his game. his game is being an elite 1 on 1 mark, elite fwd ruck, elite set shot and the ability to get double-teamed and free up our other great forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back