Preview Rd 6 Geelong V Brisbane Sat April 20 720 pm @ Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
fickle, fickle people.

we don't need him to be chasing down opponents, it's not his game. his game is being an elite 1 on 1 mark, elite fwd ruck, elite set shot and the ability to get double-teamed and free up our other great forwards.
Agree with all that. Hawkins is good for all of those reasons. The thing that worries me is when he is double teamed he gets frustrated with his closest opponent leaving the other player to take an uncontested mark. I would love to see him at least turn it into a contested mark. It's not something new but it has been happening a lot more in recent times. In the Gather round against the Bulldogs he pretty much dropped his bundle after being frustrated by double teaming. But it could be worse. Charlie Dixon who is more imposing than Hawkins gets frustrated out of contests on a regular basis. He sometimes gives up even before the ball arrives.

There is zero chance Neale is arrogant enough to think, "Why are the Cats not pushing the legendary Tom Hawkins out of the team to make way for me? Better pop off and sign with another club." He knows his time will come.

The only rider to that is if Freo come to him promising him senior game time. He's a WA lad and they are in need of another key forward. They would probably offer a larger contract too.

The only rider to that is if Freo come to him promising him senior game time. He's a WA lad and they are in need of another key forward. They would probably offer a larger contract too.
Freo are about the last club that need Neale. They've got Darcy and Jackson so have no need for ruck chop out. Then Amiss might be the best young key forward in the league.

At best he replaces Treacy. But it's unclear that Neale is better than Treacy who has been pretty good and Treacy might not even get a game if Freo are at full strength. Then they've got Taberner who can do a job if he's fit.

In 2 years he's going to find Freo a much more difficult team to break in to than Geelong.

From what I saw Neale is a beast, is strong and is smart. The internal messaging around just that will be elite I have no doubt.

He should know by now that he is in the team sooner rather than later and is a huge part of the team's future. The Norf game confirmed it for most of us, but more importantly it should do so for him too.

And (as I half expect) if Hawk hangs the boots up this year, Neale will be the man.

I do know that a few years ago we were very honest and direct with a draftee about what he needed to do and where they saw him in the scheme of things. Whilst he didn't make it he remains extremely complementary of the Cats and how he was communicated with , monitored and treated respectfully.
What we say in Public is fine but more importantly I'm with you allrighty - I've no doubt our internal communication will be 1st class.

No. What it would take for me to accept that he was genuinely managed would be for Conway to play well, but Stanley still to come straight back in the next week.

It's no coincidence IMO that the other "managed" player is the one who is now, performance-wise, right on the periphery of the 22 and also coming up hard on the end of his career.
Scott has flagged that we will get games into Conway and also we will use the full extent of our list to manage players and stay fresh - and be primed for September.
Conway was quite good v Hawks and Stanley has been quite good over the last 2 weeks.
Big O is a lumbering type - makes sense to play Conway against his type and save Stanley for the more athletic rucks?

So you're saying Conway is the new No. 1? And they are playing Stanley only against lesser teams?
Doesn't quite fit as Conway only played the one game against the Hawks and was then omitted. Meanwhile Stanley came in and had an excellent game v the dogs.
This is the new norm. Good players are gonna be managed during the season. Even in big games. It's the way to utilise the list depth.
We will see in time :)

It won't be Freo.

As others have said, Treacy & Amiss are enough, they're just going to take time to develop, and Neale's in that same bracket.

If anything, they need a crafty veteran to steady the ship. Another young key forward does nothing for them.

The danger would be West Coast. In desperate need for a long term partner to Allen, who's had his own troubles staying healthy.

Draft this year has SFA in the way of talls at the top end as well, so they're going to need to look for other avenues.

Neale won't leave IMO, so it doesn't really matter, but Freo would be the least of our issues when it comes to retaining him

Key forwards need some arrogance and he believes he's ready so will leave if has to play seconds next year. Why would he stay? He's from WA and no guarantees body will stay healthy if he waits

Key forwards need some arrogance and he believes he's ready so will leave if has to play seconds next year. Why would he stay? He's from WA and no guarantees body will stay healthy if he waits

He has been taken under the wing of Hawkins, staying out at the (hobby) farm with his family and loving the lifestyle. This is according to his parents who say he's quite content there. $ would come in to it with the Eagles having a lot of spare coin.

He's no Shane Kersten and probably worth the development.

He has been taken under the wing of Hawkins, staying out at the (hobby) farm with his family and loving the lifestyle. This is according to his parents who say he's quite content there. $ would come in to it with the Eagles having a lot of spare coin.

He's also contracted for next year so he won't be traded if we rate him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey, I liked Kersten

With Brisbane having the opposite beginning to the Season to Geelong, Lions will be determined to continue to improve, after finding some form against North + Melbourne. Lions dropped both games at the Gabba this year, so they'll be desperate to win at home. It seems some have forgotten Lions only lost GF by four points. We are playing a Grand Finalist, who have found a little form. As we did in 2023 we lost the first three games + won the next five.

Press state we've won easy games, beating Adelaide, St Kilda, Bulldogs, lowly Hawks + North, considered similarly placed teams from last year.

This game is touted as clash of the round + although both teams are said to have fairly similar offences and can defend to transition, Lions have had trouble with their chains going I50, + this where our strong Defence must utilise their excellence. No sloppy defence, which has appeared in some recent quarters.

Scotty said in his presser that "Selection is somewhat of a challenge, that's good news, we have good availability at the moment. . .we almost never look at our team as what is the best team too, but think in the context of the overall year, what is the best team + the individual priority in terms of management. We'll play a different team with those guys coming back. There will be a continual shuffle there as the year goes on."

We really must look at the Bulldogs as an important win. They thrashed Saints last night by 60 points. Whereas we defeated Saints by only eight points. There really was such heart in our win.

To compare: Geelong demolished North by 75 points; with Lions demolishing North by 70.

Great to have Hawkins, Danger + Kolo back in the team.

Many good points made for and against Conway being in the team.

I do think Hinkley29 summarises the situation well:
We have 2 decent rucks, our better option (Right now) is an older player, we are taking the chance to give him regular rest whilst introducing the young raw guy into AFL level slowly.

It is the definition of managing our resources. We are able to do so because we are 5-0.

Could be a close game, yet hoping for a definitive Geelong win. No injuries please.

I'd be interested to understand what defensive pressure Hawkins brings to the team in his recent outings. Hawkins is good when he can get a break on his opponent and he is a beautiful set kick. His forward ruck work is handy and his goal assists are important. However, when the ball comes in hot through the air, he struggles to influence the contest and sometimes doesn't even struggle. It is hard to watch. It was good for a change to see Neale at full forward working hard to contest those incoming balls and not allowing his opponent to take uncontested marks and run off him.
If you can’t see that Hawkins (even at this late stage of his career) isn’t a strong net positive for our team then I don’t know what to tell you.

Call me crazy, but the contribution to scoring goals is the main thing I look for in a forward line player. Tom is still wildly effective in the most important thing a forward needs to do.

But hey, if tackling and the nebulous “pressure” is what turns you on, who am I to judge.

I've been hard on Scott for this before, but I didn't get that impression at all.

It might look worse in writing, but watching the interview today I got the impression that Neale was out for sure.

Made it clear that we rate him and he'll be getting a lot of gametime this season...but not necessarily this week.
Shows how ambiguous it was then as I thought Neale was 70% likely to play after listening to Scott.

Every Cats game you go to is away?- lots of friends!
You're such a smarty pants, Vdubs :joycat:
Yes, every game I attend in the H&A season is an away game for me. It's an incredible drive from here in NSW New England Bush to Geelong, Melbourne, Brisbane + Adelaide. Must admit, I avoid Sydney.

True. Would Neal, Edwards and our R1 pick be anywhere near the mark (assuming Neale and Edwards develop into the players they looks like being).
No... not even close whilst HR is contracted.

Once he is OOC (if that happens) then it becomes easier for clubs to make trades.

I assume he is costing 2x first rounders at least as a start... but that's assuming we are not a bottom 4 team with crazy early picks.

Shows how ambiguous it was then as I thought Neale was 70% likely to play after listening to Scott.
Yeah maybe, but from the second he started talking about Neale I was certain he wasn't playing.

Keep expectations low for a young player going into a game and congratulate them on exceeding them once they've played.

I think he'll be spared the ignominy.

But IMO nobody is playing North Melbourne at home when we are 4-0 up to start the season, and is then managed for the clash against last year's runner-up interstate. I am pretty sure it's performance, not rest.

IIRC, Higgins and Dalhaus were "managed" - but then reappeared later in the VFL.
That is laughable.

Anyone who ever suggests this quickly retreats when presented with the VFL point. We’re to believe there’s this other category in existence where a player doesn’t play footy for a weekend and isn’t being managed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back