Preview Rd 7 Geelong V Carlton Sat April 27 435 pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
6-0

Life is good.

No one called this.

No one.

We are back to being the hunted and you can just feel the " here we go again" vibes from anyone not in the Hoops.

Its majestic but nothing is won in April

However - we will falter at some point and maybe its this week. Maybe not.

Blues travelling ( not the 90s band) very well and if ever they were primed to get us its now.... they are winning with a long injury list.

We will be dead legs late in the Blues game after running out the monsoon of the Gabba weather. Games like that always have a payback at some point.

We are still pretty healthy - sans Stewy's concussion.

Means at least one change probably more.

PFD probably better for the run and same with Tomma.

The Blues will be looking to get us and they should turn up in droves for this twilight blockbuster.

Lets get it done

Go Catters

Oh boy imagine if we win this one. The lid will be absolutely flying off. I'm feeling a big game coming up for some of our stars. Hawkins doesn't often stay quiet for long stretches. He might break this one open. The forward group is looking so competent around him. Stengle / Close / Dempsey would have a field day around Carlton's defenders if Hawkins / Cameron can really start becoming a nightmare for them.

6-0

Life is good.

No one called this.

No one.

We are back to being the hunted and you can just feel the " here we go again" vibes from anyone not in the Hoops.

Its majestic but nothing is won in April

However - we will falter at some point and maybe its this week. Maybe not.

Blues travelling ( not the 90s band) very well and if ever they were primed to get us its now.... they are winning with a long injury list.

We will be dead legs late in the Blues game after running out the monsoon of the Gabba weather. Games like that always have a payback at some point.

We are still pretty healthy - sans Stewy's concussion.

Means at least one change probably more.

PFD probably better for the run and same with Tomma.

The Blues will be looking to get us and they should turn up in droves for this twilight blockbuster.

Lets get it done

Go Catters

I'm really starting to like the determination and resilience of this team in 2024.

Last week I thought the Lions were cleaner and better for the first 2/3rd's of the game, but the boys hung in there and steadily chipped away at the Lions until they suddenly collapsed and gave in. The boys then ran away from them for a solid win.

That showed character.

It's going to be a solid test again this week against an in-form Carlton without Stewart, but as Scott said, it gives an opportunity to another young backman.

Will be a great game, though as you alluded to, the run in our legs will likely fade as the game wears on.....best we break them early.

I'm really starting to like the determination and resilience of this team in 2024.

Last week I thought the Lions were cleaner and better for the first 2/3rd's of the game, but the boys hung in there and steadily chipped away at the Lions until they suddenly collapsed and gave in. The boys then ran away from them for a solid win.

That showed character.

It's going to be a solid test again this week against an in-form Carlton without Stewart, but as Scott said, it gives an opportunity to another young backman.

Will be a great game, though as you alluded to, the run in our legs will likely fade as the game wears on.....best we break them early.
Hmm i thought apart from the first 10mins or so the rest of the game was under our control apart from 2mins here and there

Anyone think we might go with Stanley rucking then dropping back into defence, Blicavs to run with Cripps and make him accountable on the turnover, Cameron to push up the ground and go with Neale to stretch their defence and chop out in ruck..? Dry day, big ground, seems the right time to go tall forward and mix it up.

Anyone think we might go with Stanley rucking then dropping back into defence, Blicavs to run with Cripps and make him accountable on the turnover, Cameron to push up the ground and go with Neale to stretch their defence and chop out in ruck..? Dry day, big ground, seems the right time to go tall forward and mix it up.

Could be

I think this Geelong team is built for MCG football.

The forwards love the space and our running power is consistently underestimated. Even last year we played some decent football there.

We are due an off week is the main worry.
Wouldn't even need to be an off week. Carlton have a good midfield and 2x Coleman medallists forward.

I mean so do we, but they are good too

I would like to see Atkins/Clark get a rest for Hardie for a big game like this.
See these are the games I want to see Atkins in. With Stewart's absence, his flexibility to be a rebounding half back flanker especially makes that true.

Clark I agree with, but I think a mature replacement suits this game. Hardie's debut would make more sense in a couple of weeks at home against Port.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton are massively under strength with injury but your 1 major out is Stewart and that tips the game their way.
It’s going to be terrible for the comp when Carlscum get to full strength later in the year.

Cripps is in stellar form but Walsh has lit the place up since he came back into the side and I think has more hurt factor. I wouldn't mind the accountable mid(s) standing by him and forcing more scrappy possessions.

Winning without Stewart would be monumental. This one's got DANGER game written all over it.

I hope that you're not implying that the game will by won by the efforts of PFD.

At this point, if we're relying on Patrick to drag us across the line we're doomed.

For me, it's another solid effort from those that have shone so far in 2024 that will take another step forward in building what is becoming a solid midfield group based on hard team effort, not individual brilliance.

Just looking at last years scorelines, I was at the game and I feel like from memory, the scoreline flattered us, because at every point of the game they seemed to have answers to whatever we attempted. Hopefully this was just one of the blips that was the crappy start we had to our premiership rebound and that this year our resolve is to be able to outperform them at every turn as we have done in a nunber of games already this year.

6-0

Life is good.

No one called this.

No one
This is where I wanted to say - “I did”…but I couldnt.

On ladder predictor (where to be fair I was pretty bullish and had Cats get 6th) I had us 4 and 2 at this stage. That does reflect a pretty good draw to start with - I had us 7 and 6 at the bye. I now reckon we should be aiming for 11-2 (maybe 10-3) so we are at “half way” going to be (I hope) 3-4 wins ahead of where I thought we would be - enough to move from a respectable year to top 4 and contending…

I hope that you're not implying that the game will by won by the efforts of PFD.

At this point, if we're relying on Patrick to drag us across the line we're doomed.

For me, it's another solid effort from those that have shone so far in 2024 that will take another step forward in building what is becoming a solid midfield group based on hard team effort, not individual brilliance.

Just looking at last years scorelines, I was at the game and I feel like from memory, the scoreline flattered us, because at every point of the game they seemed to have answers to whatever we attempted. Hopefully this was just one of the blips that was the crappy start we had to our premiership rebound and that this year our resolve is to be able to outperform them at every turn as we have done in a nunber of games already this year.
We don’t need him to drag us over the line but if he dominates the game we’re in it up to our necks.

In: Stanley / Tuohy
Out: Conway (managed) / Stewart (concussion)

"home" game against the in form team of the comp. need our fans to show up in full force. should be a ripper!!
They are the logical ins and outs for a big game (Stewart counts as our “managed” this week - no need for anyone else).

The only thing I am looking out for today is injury update to see “Test” next to Guthrie name…then I will start to think he may come straight back into AFL (different to Rohan as Guthrie had a full pre season). Certainly a week or so ago I was confident he would come straight in - but now with midfield going well, we can afford to be conservative?

Carlton are without Saad, McGovern and Weitering was limping in the second half with a heavily bandaged quad.
Not to mention Williams subbed off at half time with an Achilles knock.

It’s a no brainer that Weitering goes to Hawkins and Cameron will have Young.

Last year that match up nearly won us the game, Cameron had 25 and kicked 6.1

Carlton manipulated Sav one out of Curnow and he showed his class.

It’s going to be a cracker

Hmm i thought apart from the first 10mins or so the rest of the game was under our control apart from 2mins here and there

Fair enough.

To me the Lions were far cleaner with the ball and seemed to move it easier. They would've had us in a bit of trouble if they'd kicked straight.....

But bad kicking is bad footy as they say and they left the gate open. To the boys credit they kept at it, wore the Lions down, and bolted through the gate.

The ease with which the Lions suddenly broke is a concern for Fagan, whilst the determination of our group is very encouraging indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back