Preview Rd 7 Geelong V Carlton Sat April 27 435 pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree Generalissimo
He's a lot less unsure this season , has taken some great grabs and already has 2 goals v 3 for the entire season in 2023.
One of our classic "role players"

Couldn't agree more, however I was really concerned about Mark O'Connor in the preseason games because he was so bloody ordinary, just awful but 'thank goodness' he turned it all around 'so quickly' and hasn't looked back. In fact he's even getting better by the week and as you say Farmer2Goggin: "He's a lot less unsure this season , has taken some great grabs and already has 2 goals v 3 for the entire season in 2023. One of our classic "role players" GREAT CALL 👍

Agree Generalissimo
He's a lot less unsure this season , has taken some great grabs and already has 2 goals v 3 for the entire season in 2023.
One of our classic "role players"

Reading between the lines on some of the things O'Connor has said. He seemed to have a bit of an internal struggle and was considering giving up the game around 2021-2022 while having some injury issues in 2023. By all reports, he's found a bit of motivation and had a good run of things leading into the 2024 season. I think that plays a big part in an uptick in performances.

I feel like we really overstate his qualities as an attacking target, though. He wins very, very little football - it's hardly like he's a massive threat for the opposition to contain.

I do think Rohan is a massive threat to contain even if he's not a massive attaching target. So much of what he does is decoy or off the ball. It's much more pronounced at the game and I think a threefold problem for the opposition:
  1. He interrupts the the ball coming out of our forwardline with his pressure/closing speed
  2. He forces back the opposition's defensive wall with the threat of his speed
  3. He crashes packs and marks or brings the ball down.
His possession numbers and goal tally I don't think reflect what he's doing.

I am not overly worried about re-injury. That could happen at afl or vfl level.

I do however think he is a big risk of just playing badly. 12 months with no footy and then straight back in. I think he could have used a run in the vfl to get some form.

It is not like we are short of options.
I think that's sometimes overstated though. In round 1 everyone fits this bill, no one has played an AFL game for many months and the standard is still high.

Yeah, too right. Is 'match fitness' not a thing anymore?
It's more than that for me I've loved our ball movement going forward in the main this season , quick direct decisive,I don't want him doing anything different no dinky stuff no demanding the ball flat footed 10 Mtr away and no going backwards run and gun Cam is the name of the game trust your teammates to win one on ones up the ground. :)

Last edited:
Yeah, too right. Is 'match fitness' not a thing anymore?
What is match fitness though? I see that mentioned a lot but no can really define or measure it. Other than just a general 'he should play 1 or 2 games of VFL to get match fitness'.

I can understand from the perspective that if he's been on reduced load coming back from injury, then a VFL game and an extra week's training will potentially make him fitter, but to me that's just regular fitness, not 'match fitness'. But assuming he's not been on reduced load at training in the past month and has been training fully (which it sounds like he has been), I don't know any measurable marker of fitness that would improve from playing a VFL game.

Last edited:
I think that's sometimes overstated though. In round 1 everyone fits this bill, no one has played an AFL game for many months and the standard is still high.
Players play practice games before R1 and fumble and miss targets more than ever in the early rounds.

Guthrie has played 5 seconds of a practice match in about 12 months.

All I can do is assume that he has been looking for the absolute goods at training for a couple of weeks now.

Fingers crossed he comes out firing.

It's still VERY early days, but some trends are emerging this season compared to 2023:

Goal assist differential1st6th

Our pressure around congestion and on opposition ball carriers during transition has lifted significantly. We are then able to force scrappy opposition disposals that we can mark or spoil. We are using those intercepts to generate score launches with wide open space to let our elite forwards get to work. And when the ball hits the deck we have been much sharper. Overall this is creating our efficiency compared to opposition, i.e the quality vs quantity of ball use.

That's a great observation and I think it's especially relevant and true for play between the arcs.
Everyone goes to school on the reigning Premiers and I think Scott has appreciated the 2023 Pies and their relentless ability at times to forward handball and keep the footy in constant motion.
It can be devastating if not defended properly - look at the impotent Lions v rampant GWS last night as an example.

I think we're building a large squad that can run between the arcs and not only attack with purpose but defend and force a counter attack through turnover. We were the masters of the turnover game in 2022 and I see us getting back to that but adding an improved clearance game to our game plan in 2024.
I reckon "continuous improvement" is Scott's middle name.... ;)

I’ve watched the Cats for a very long time and I can’t recall a time when we had such an even team. Even the glory eras 2007 to 2011, we still had a reasonably clear ‘bottom 6’.

We are all struggling to work out who should be the sub tomorrow - and that’s with Stewart out of the team! It goes to the evenness of this team. Huge credit to the coaches.

Amazing stat that the team to verse the Blues, with the exception of Dempsey, is either a Premiership player or a first rounder. (And Dempsey would probably now be first round selection if his draft year was re-run today.)

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I do think Rohan is a massive threat to contain even if he's not a massive attaching target. So much of what he does is decoy or off the ball. It's much more pronounced at the game and I think a threefold problem for the opposition:
  1. He interrupts the the ball coming out of our forwardline with his pressure/closing speed
  2. He forces back the opposition's defensive wall with the threat of his speed
  3. He crashes packs and marks or brings the ball down.
His possession numbers and goal tally I don't think reflect what he's doing.
I'd be interested with having him as super-sub. Imagine a fresh rohan mowing down blokes in the last quarter. Could cause havock.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not completely against C.Guthrie directly returning as he’s probably our best mid when fit. But, I just wonder whether it was really necessary bringing him back this way? We are 6-0 off the back of trusting that our kids in the midfield are good enough. Which they have been.

I realise that Clark needs a full VFL game but I would have thought his spot may have been replaced by Mannagh who is fit and can definitely play midfield. He’s not just a small forward. Give Cam a week in the VFL to prove he clearly is ready and have him back for the D’s.

Having said all this I’m glad that the club thinks he’s good to go as it means he’s been training well.

What is match fitness though? I see that mentioned a lot but no can really define or measure it. Other than just a general 'he should play 1 or 2 games of VFL to get match fitness'.

I can understand from the perspective that if he's been on reduced load coming back from injury, then a a VFL game and an extra week's training will potentially make him fitter him, but to me that's just regular fitness, not 'match fitness'. But assuming he's not been on reduced load at training in the past month and has been training fully (which it sounds like he has been), I don't know any measurable marker of fitness that would improve from playing a VFL game.
I suspect he has been held back for this game for some time

Carlton are missing a few players-not a bad week to give guth a hit out- we need him firing for the big month ahead. The club is getting most things right this year- maybe they have this right too? He can get subbed off early if needs be.

The lack of match practice at round 1 is by necessity, not by design.

players blow up big time in round 1, they are more tired in that game than they are in any other game all year.

If we get through without an injury tomorrow, next week we will have our full list of best players available for selection.

That's a huge change from last year when we were dropping like flies.
David Alpay Hand GIF by FROM

FFS have you no idea of karma and woo woo?

Cuthrie straight back into the 1’s is a mistake.

it might turn out ok, but I think it is a bad decision.

If it was a mistake he wouldn't be there. Been very conservative with him the last couple of weeks apparently. He'll do better than anyone else would in that spot. ZT on the other hand...

Any tips on where to park for the game if driving up?
Yes, park in the backblocks of Newport train station if driving from Geelong, then take the train to the game. You will have to change trains in the city.

If you want an easier train trip out, park in the backblocks around Clifton Hill station instead (might have to get there a little early), then catch the train. It will be more driving, but just one train in, one train out.

Do not, do not, do not attempt to park near the MCG and walk. If there's anything like the crowds expected, you'll have an extremely bad time, and it will be expensive, too. It will literally be faster to catch the train to a middle location, then switch to a car.

Any tips on where to park for the game if driving up?
Pay $10 somewhere in walking distance. I use 410 Albert St and walk through Fitzroy gardens.

It’s a real crapshoot trying to get a free park. The $10 is worth alleviating the stress (you can pre-book).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back