Preview Rd 7 Geelong V Carlton Sat April 27 435 pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dempsey is surely due to have his minutes managed and can offer both elite running on the wing and X factor forward against tired legs as an impact sub.

Tuohy could be very useful across half back and the wing injected into the game in a similar situation, releasing Holmes or Duncan further up the ground.

Those would be my two sub candidates.
I agree Dempsey is due for a break. But I think (don’t know) that this will come as a “managed” (ie. out all together but not play VFL) rather than sub.

For this week my guess is it will between Atkins, Parfitt or Bowes. And I think it will be Atkins just as a guess

Those concerned about a flat looking Bris need to factor in we have 2 extra days rest and have come off a longer pre season. Shouldn’t be a factor.
Just another reminder of how hard it is for teams to win the week following playing the Cats.Could also be Brisbane are approaching their used by date.Bit of both I reckon.

Love those INS. They will play a lot more footy for the Cats together and very high quality. With the exception of Dempsey, all Top 20 picks. Not sure how we do it…

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
So you answered my earlier post - that I didn’t have time to check….I was told this weekend team was all premiership player or first round draft pick except one!

I agree Dempsey is due for a break. But I think (don’t know) that this will come as a “managed” (ie. out all together but not play VFL) rather than sub.

For this week my guess is it will between Atkins, Parfitt or Bowes. And I think it will be Atkins just as a guess
If we clamp down on one of Cripps and Walsh (as we probably should), then Atkins could come on and continue that (freeing up whoever was on them). He has had some memorable second halves before too. So I could see it.

At this stage with Bowes I don't think we should continue to push him in and out of the sub role. It doesn't help him.

Parfitt will be important defensively. Should remain a starting midfielder, even with Guthrie coming in.

Who would he replace if Stewart was available?

His output is definitely miles behind Duncan, who some people insist is on the verge of being dropped.
We imo are at 21/22 from our 23 man best team.
Stewart and in. Possibly Rohan but we'll see. O'Connor, Atkins or Parfitt the bottom 3.

We imo are at 21/22 from our 23 man best team.
Stewart and in. Possibly Rohan but we'll see. O'Connor, Atkins or Parfitt the bottom 3.
I reckon O'Connor is loved by Scott and he's really doing what's asked in any role. Although his attributes suit the sub role too, I don't see it being a regular thing, let alone him being dropped.

Parfitt dropped in this form? When Scott loves a million midfielders and our plan seems to be pressuring opposition at stoppages? Again, it seems unlikely to me unless he dips.

Atkins: perhaps. But he was very good on the weekend and has plenty of credits in the bank.

Tuohy has even more credits, but in 2 years has gone from an important and clean 22 disposal a game rebounder, to a peripheral utility going at 16 disposals a game with more of them being scrappy.

We'll have to wait and see, but I don't think Tuohy was far off retiring last year and that could come into the thinking when he is playing at this solid-enough, but not great, level.

I reckon O'Connor is loved by Scott and he's really doing what's asked in any role. Although his attributes suit the sub role too, I don't see it being a regular thing, let alone him being dropped.

Parfitt dropped in this form? When Scott loves a million midfielders and our plan seems to be pressuring opposition at stoppages? Again, it seems unlikely to me unless he dips.

Atkins: perhaps. But he was very good on the weekend and has plenty of credits in the bank.

Tuohy has even more credits, but in 2 years has gone from an important and clean 22 disposal a game rebounder, to a peripheral utility going at 16 disposals a game with more of them being scrappy.

We'll have to wait and see, but I don't think Tuohy was far off retiring last year and that could come into the thinking when he is playing at this solid-enough, but not great, level.
It's a largely moot and philosophical argument. We'll always have injuries and outs.
O'Connor is loved, as he does everyone listed. I just cannot see Tuohy (omitted) occurring.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a largely moot and philosophical argument. We'll always have injuries and outs.
O'Connor is loved, as he does everyone listed. I just cannot see Tuohy (omitted) occurring.
Yeah, I agree. The management/rotation will continue even minus injuries. Horses for courses, too. It can be kind of fun to guess, though.

Likely at the pointy end of the year we will either have a couple of best 22 injuries or some hard luck stories, while other players just happen to time their runs perfectly. And Tuohy could be in either camp.

It is just good to a) have depth and b) not be cursed with overlapping injuries (yet). If I was to throw in a c) it is that not AS many veterans are as absolutely crucial as they once were.

Those concerned about a flat looking Bris need to factor in we have 2 extra days rest and have come off a longer pre season. Shouldn’t be a factor.

They sure looked flat ..big difference to how they looked V Melb a couple weeks ago. Was that Bris. Was that Gws. Was that the game last week against us. I doubt whether we will let GWS to run riot like that but GWS look very good as well.

Sometimes..I think media make the story fit the facts that have been displayed. We are due for a down week... if that happens ..it will probably be linked with the game last week.

With regards to Tuohy it’s a big test for him. He’s rested and coming up against a legitimate top 4 aspirant. I’ve felt he’s struggling this year with the pace of the game. Been increasingly more fumbly. Saturday afternoon should provide an answer as to where he’s at.

I'm not surprised that O'Connor is popular with the coaching staff. He does a thankless job, and one that's both hard to understand and to execute, every week without complaining about it or stuffing it up. It's perplexing to me how he's become the forum's whipping boy all of a sudden especially after his form the last two weeks.

With regards to Tuohy it’s a big test for him. He’s rested and coming up against a legitimate top 4 aspirant. I’ve felt he’s struggling this year with the pace of the game. Been increasingly more fumbly. Saturday afternoon should provide an answer as to where he’s at.
I have a strong suspicion on the answer and want him sub. I could be wrong though

It's still VERY early days, but some trends are emerging this season compared to 2023:

Tackles1st10th
Tackles i509th17th
Pressure acts2nd12th
Spoils4th17th
1%er differential4th16th
Intercepts2nd9th
Ground ball gets3rd10th
Rebound 50s3rd17th
Rebound 50 rate (% of i50's repelled)2nd14th
Score launch differential1st9th
Goal assist differential1st6th

Our pressure around congestion and on opposition ball carriers during transition has lifted significantly. We are then able to force scrappy opposition disposals that we can mark or spoil. We are using those intercepts to generate score launches with wide open space to let our elite forwards get to work. And when the ball hits the deck we have been much sharper. Overall this is creating our efficiency compared to opposition, i.e the quality vs quantity of ball use. Our defensive structure is holding up much better. This will be tested by Carlton's elite midfield delivering to their twin towers without Stewart to peel off. But it appears that these are the KPI's working for the Cats so far and hopefully something we can maintain as the quality of opposition increases.

Good luck to your boys for the season and the weekend, however hope we’re good enough to get the win

Big respect to your team as a club and organisation.

Us Blues fans are certainly up and about, the cats record these past 15+
years reminds me of growing up as a kid in the 90s.. We won the one flag that decade but made it to three GFs and always a strong finals side with senior players that could just rely on and back to get the job done every week..

Geelong remind me of the successful Carlton and hawthorn teams of yesteryear, and that’s said as a compliment.. And that’s what we’re trying to build here now at Carlton

As a proud blue bagger I’m just hoping we can get a taste of what you guys have tasted in the coming years in terms of premiership success..

If we bring similar maniacal pressure to what we did last week and our forwards get off the leash, I think we can get the job done. But it should be mighty close. Blues by 10 pts

I'm not surprised that O'Connor is popular with the coaching staff. He does a thankless job, and one that's both hard to understand and to execute, every week without complaining about it or stuffing it up. It's perplexing to me how he's become the forum's whipping boy all of a sudden especially after his form the last two weeks.
I said it in another thread but MOC is almost like a mini Blics

Isn't elite at any position but very handy at pretty much all of them

He can play
Defence, wing, mid, tagging mid and even forward to decent levels
He has a good mark is generally safe with the ball and loves a tackle (both ways)

They sure looked flat ..big difference to how they looked V Melb a couple weeks ago. Was that Bris. Was that Gws. Was that the game last week against us. I doubt whether we will let GWS to run riot like that but GWS look very good as well.

Sometimes..I think media make the story fit the facts that have been displayed. We are due for a down week... if that happens ..it will probably be linked with the game last week.

I think it’s a matter of Brisbane losing self-belief. And they, somewhat like Port, are a team that leans heavily on swagger and emotion, particularly at home. So 3 home losses, the dawning realisation that maybe the window is closing, the short break and a rampant, confident (rightly so) GWS all combined for the hiding the Lions received.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's still VERY early days, but some trends are emerging this season compared to 2023:

Tackles1st10th
Tackles i509th17th
Pressure acts2nd12th
Spoils4th17th
1%er differential4th16th
Intercepts2nd9th
Ground ball gets3rd10th
Rebound 50s3rd17th
Rebound 50 rate (% of i50's repelled)2nd14th
Score launch differential1st9th
Goal assist differential1st6th

Our pressure around congestion and on opposition ball carriers during transition has lifted significantly. We are then able to force scrappy opposition disposals that we can mark or spoil. We are using those intercepts to generate score launches with wide open space to let our elite forwards get to work. And when the ball hits the deck we have been much sharper. Overall this is creating our efficiency compared to opposition, i.e the quality vs quantity of ball use. Our defensive structure is holding up much better. This will be tested by Carlton's elite midfield delivering to their twin towers without Stewart to peel off. But it appears that these are the KPI's working for the Cats so far and hopefully something we can maintain as the quality of opposition increases.
WOW these are amazing side by side stats. Of course maybe the draw has a little to do with it but I also think the defensive side definitely reflects the skew toward younger players.

Dempsey and Clark stats in those defensive areas are very good combine with Tanner improvement and overall run from the high half forward group plugs holes very quickly.

It is one reason why I would hesitate going back too old too quick

WOW these are amazing side by side stats. Of course maybe the draw has a little to do with it but I also think the defensive side definitely reflects the skew toward younger players.

Dempsey and Clark stats in those defensive areas are very good combine with Tanner improvement and overall run from the high half forward group plugs holes very quickly.

It is one reason why I would hesitate going back too old too quick
Spot on. It is infectious too and a kind injury list plus big pre-season seem to have us fitter. So the players can work both ways.

Parfitt is much fitter and has become a tackling/pressure machine.

Bruhn's defensive work has been better.

Dangerfield has gone from 3.7 to 6.7 tackles a game this season!

5 players are recording 20 pressure acts or more a game, compared to 2 in 2023.

And there's been improvement across the board otherwise. Managing players and so on might be paying dividends already.

This is definitely helping our interceptors and rebounders, but they also just appear to be functioning much better as a unit. Continuity helps, compared to the situation last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back