Preview Rd 3 Gold Coast v Brisbane Lions - QClash 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting listening to Adrian fletcher on Bris lions website....One thing stood out for me was, he was saying they were working on pressure, and ball movement from turnovers, he also said teams are now playing the lions one on one.

really hope PK gets another crack, and hope they pick another taller defender,

Goalkicking practice a priorty too:(

yeh with the goalkicking, Players missing set shots have in the past been pretty reliable, Im thinking Browny and bewick.

Any chance Lester could get with the run with job with gazza and raines goes to bennell?

Tonight I also saw browny on news update saying how they need get the ball into richs hands more often.......Great plan.

This talk off Rich being moved foward or playing as q qter back type role, I totally dissagree with. D Rich when getting his hands on the ball is our most damaging mid. Clubs realise this, and are really clamping down on him. I still would like to see his teamates give him more protection and some blockouts and get into his taggers face a bit more, nothing illegal.

Finally, Cant wait to see rayn harwood back in the team this week........(hopefully)

If Karnezis gets dropped, i have every right to lose the plot with the club. His game against the Dogs was better than serviceable compared to most of our mob, for some reason he is sub and then if he goes out it stinks that we ARE becoming like the Australian cricket selectors and banking on whims rather than looking at the cold hard facts when it comes to selections.

As for POBT regarding Leuy and numbers at the contest. I noticed the same thing at on Saturday arvo. At the time it was clear to me that our 2 problems were workrate and communication. The workrate to push to the contest and the communication around the contest to talk team mates in to the contest. It is clear and apparent that it does not matter what level of footy you play, a team depends on traffic cops at the contest. We are short of a few!!!

yeh with the goalkicking, Players missing set shots have in the past been pretty reliable, Im thinking Browny and bewick.

Any chance Lester could get with the run with job with gazza and raines goes to bennell?

McGrath would be a good speed match with Bennell and does a fair job on small opposition forwards usually but after last week not so sure he will be in the lineup? Raines and Son of God have some unfinished business which'll be worth the price of admission.

Tonight I also saw browny on news update saying how they need get the ball into richs hands more often.......Great plan.

This talk off Rich being moved foward or playing as q qter back type role, I totally dissagree with. D Rich when getting his hands on the ball is our most damaging mid. Clubs realise this, and are really clamping down on him. I still would like to see his teamates give him more protection and some blockouts and get into his taggers face a bit more, nothing illegal.

Finally, Cant wait to see rayn harwood back in the team this week........(hopefully)

I'm more hopeful than most that he's back in this week as I own his Debut Match worn jumper and was paying for my retirement with it when he wins his third Brownlow!!

I am more nervous about this game then most. Despite my sometimes support for the enemy down the M1, I desire victory very greatly. Upon witnessing QClash 1, and the horrors involved, I decided that night that I was truely a Lions supporter and I never wanted to see them lose to Gold Coast ever again. I hope this players feel the same way; the results in QClash 2 and 3 looked like this was the case.

QClash 5 will be the first I will not witness in person, but I hope to see, on TV at least, the players deciding they will not stand for a second class effort. They cannot let Gold Coast win because they stole our members, they stole the attention from the league and they stole QClash 1. (I am thankful that they stole J. Brennan).

If we improve on the effort in round 2, which was an improvement on round 1 we should win. But I cannot ignore the desire of Gold Coast to beat a team if there is a chance. I just hope we see the same desire in our players.

Hopefully one of the players that have been a bit down the last few weeks can lift their game and take out the Ashcroft medal.

Not sure it really matters where Rich gets his possessions so long as he gets more of them. At one time during the Crows match he wins the ball just inside the half back line, runs a few metres and still kicks the ball inside our forward 50. I'd like to see him start in the middle with protection as you suggested but if sending him to our defense gets the ball in his hands and him into the game early I'm fine with him down back.

After watching the Sloane destroy us I fear that Ablett will have his best game against us as a suns player...we will likely play bit players like Polks who wouldn't even get a game in one of the expansion teams...I tipping The Suns by 5-7 goals. But with that said I think Rich will spring back to life as the positive for us.

i think when most suggest he goes forward they refer to HF where he can do damage, and still play in the midfield rotations...we need richs possessions to be as close to the forward 50 as possible, plus it allows him better avenues to break a tag as he can lead at the ball. Gary Ablett spent years playing up forward and no surprise he is starting to spend more time there...Richs AFL experience has been all Midfield, and add some Forward experience will really add value to his development

After watching the Sloane destroy us I fear that Ablett will have his best game against us as a suns player...we will likely play bit players like Polks who wouldn't even get a game in one of the expansion teams...I tipping The Suns by 5-7 goals. But with that said I think Rich will spring back to life as the positive for us.

I've just bean watching the replay.. and yes Sloane was running amuck - but that's because Adelaide have the likes of Dangerfield who need the main tag. There is just Gary for the McPlastics who is as dangerous as Sloane, yes they have other players who deserve attention, but not to the calibre of Dangerfield + Sloane.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richs AFL experience has been all Midfield, and add some Forward experience will really add value to his development

In his earlier years, Rich spent plenty of time on a half forward flank and even occasionally on a half back flank. It took him a long time to develop the engine to play a true midfield role so we had no choice but to play him in roles that didn't expose his lack of endurance. It is untrue to say that Rich hasn't been given other roles.

What we need to is to move the ball more quickly and more cleanly which will open up more space for the midfielders, Rich included. The marked difference between most of the NAB Cup and our recent form is that we've been unable to replicate the high energy, quick moving footy that we play at our best. We did it for some of the third quarter and looked top notch.

When we do play at a faster place, there is less congestion and so less chance to "sit" on someone like Rich. He then has the smarts to utilise the space available to him.

Of course, good sides shut down space quickly. But good sides also deal with defensive pressure through winning contested footy and quick, decisive ball movement.

Suns ready to Hunt Rich
April 10, 2013
Sam Lord

Rich has proven particularly damaging against the Suns throughout his career, averaging 24 disposals, seven tackles and three goals across his two QClashes.

Lions Co-Captain Jonathan Brown says it’s up to the rest of the Lions team to help Rich break the tag. “Richy’s a prime target from opposition teams – especially with Blacky not being out there,” Brown said. “I’m sure this week will be no different.”

“Even if he’s not getting tagged, we need the ball in Daniel Rich’s hands because he’s our main offensive weapon and probably the best kick in the team.”

Should be an interesting battle if Karmichael tags Rich.

Does Hunt really have the endurance to be a tagger?

I know the Suns have made a big deal about the improvements in his endurance. At least with Rich, he's not matched up on a guy who is an elite runner.

I think this is a good match up for Rich though. I'd be trying to keep him away from the coalface a bit more this week because his game sense is superior to Hunt's.

I would be sending Raines to Bennell and having someone like Redden run head to head with GAJ. Tagging Ablett usually has minimal effect whereas Bennell has been taken out of the game the last two weeks when he has had the tag.

I've just bean watching the replay.. and yes Sloane was running amuck - but that's because Adelaide have the likes of Dangerfield who need the main tag. There is just Gary for the McPlastics who is as dangerous as Sloane, yes they have other players who deserve attention, but not to the calibre of Dangerfield + Sloane.

Ablett, Bennell, Swallow. Dixon isn't a midfielder but he's playing well in the ruck.
if Ablett and Bennell get off the chain, then you can pretty much put this down as a loss for the lions. O'Meara gave them a lot against the swans.
they may not have the quality of a sloane-dangerfield combo, but remember a liberatore-wallis combo (with help from griffen) tore it apart in round 1.

I would be sending Raines to Bennell and having someone like Redden run head to head with GAJ. Tagging Ablett usually has minimal effect whereas Bennell has been taken out of the game the last two weeks when he has had the tag.

I don’t think tagging Ablett will bring his stats down all that much, but I think it can reduce his impact on the game. I think we should send someone out there with instructions to always stay goalside and centreside of Ablett, and force him to kick wide, or kick side on.

Just don’t let him get the ball facing goal in general play. He’s an absolute killer in that situation. Has an uncanny ability to send teammates streaming forward, by foot or by hand. And has no trouble finding the goals himself when he gets some space.

Redden might be a good option, as you say. Seems to be having some issues at the moment. Maybe giving him a specific role would help focus him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back