Unofficial Preview Prelim discussion v Demons/Blues / Gunston watch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dev hardly got a disposal, fumbled a few times

He was poor but apart from Matho we have no one of his size to bring in
If Cockatoo was a bit better he'd be perfect.

Dev was average last night imo. but we've seen him do better than that.

Don't know why we'd want to go to 3 talls again but I can see the case for the 2 rucks.

I'm tipping we go with this for the Prelim >

Ins- Jack Gunston, Daniel Rich, Jarryd Lyons.

Outs- Dev Robertson, Jaspa Fletcher, Callum Ah Chee.

It’s a fine line. We need players who are going to bust a gut and be desperate as an extra body around the contest. But also players who are clean under pressure, especially in a potential GF under heat.

I’d play Robertson even though he worries me with the odd missed handball or sack of a kick. His job will be to compete and tackle. Reckon there are going to be some very crucial one on one moments coming up and I’d back him to at least halve those contests.

If he hasn't improved his pace he offers nothing we don't already have, his good game first back from his training block has a huge caveat on it... it was against one of the worst AFL line ups this century.
I reakon I could have jagged a cheapie or two out the back against West Coast and I would have been playing on one leg.

yes he has been poor since he signed his 5 year contract and his body language does not seem good
Got nothing to do with his 5 year contract signing.

Could it be that he's carrying an injury that might require surgery to fix?

In any case, Paynie as he is now is still my preferred Key Back along with Harris.

Got nothing to do with his 5 year contract signing.

Could it be that he's carrying an injury that might require surgery to fix?

In any case, Paynie as he is now is still my preferred Key Back along with Harris.
I hope he is not playing while carrying an injury that requires surgery. I recall a number of years ago Ross Lyon discussing the pressure placed on him at Fitzroy to keep playing, in spite of knee issues I believe it was. The club would have him ‘jabbed up’ and he would play. The health consequences for Lyon, post football, were much worse than would otherwise have been the case.

If Payne is carrying an injury, then he shouldn’t be selected. Darcy Gardiner is fit and apparently in good touch. The Club should take a longer term view and consider his wellbeing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do we think about rolling the dice on Fort as the sub if Melbourne make it? Bring him on in the last quarter and make his job solely to disrupt Gawn in marking contests down the line? At worst if a small comes off injured early, we switch to a three tall forward line.

I would.

it’s not like any of our smaller subs are having much of an impact

I would.

it’s not like any of our smaller subs are having much of an impact
The success of a sub is all done in hindsight and on bad luck. Just depends if you get an injury early to a significant player.

If Neale or Dunkley went down you would be hoping Lyons was the sub, if O went down you would be hoping Fort, if Harris/Jack went down Gardiner.

If we had no injuries during game the only player on our list who I think could be good as a tactical sub late in a tight game would be Nakia Cockatoo, could come on and provide some grunt and a bit of X factor with a few high impact possessions.

I hope he is not playing while carrying an injury that requires surgery. I recall a number of years ago Ross Lyon discussing the pressure placed on him at Fitzroy to keep playing, in spite of knee issues I believe it was. The club would have him ‘jabbed up’ and he would play. The health consequences for Lyon, post football, were much worse than would otherwise have been the case.

If Payne is carrying an injury, then he shouldn’t be selected. Darcy Gardiner is fit and apparently in good touch. The Club should take a longer term view and consider his wellbeing.
Bit of an overreaction IMO. I’d imagine that there would be 6-8 folks playing in two weeks time that would need some post season surgery.

There’s a difference between injuries needing surgery that you can play through and those that you can’t.

Since Gunston has gone out we've scored 124 against the top team, 77 against the best defence in the comp and now 123 against the 3rd best team in a high pressure final. Our forward line is functioning incredibly well. I dont think we need any more assistance in our goal scoring power.

To drop Dev for Gunston we would lose a bunch of defensive pressure to try and more offensive fire-power. It would make zero sense to make this decision.

After a massive performance we would be nuts to make any unforced changes right now

Do we think about rolling the dice on Fort as the sub if Melbourne make it? Bring him on in the last quarter and make his job solely to disrupt Gawn in marking contests down the line? At worst if a small comes off injured early, we switch to a three tall forward line.

Depends what you think the game will look like I think.

If Fort is sub, then we will be activating him at a time where either the game will be in the balance or we are up by a decent margin (based on Melbourne's recent form and ability to score). Maybe this helps give some fresh aerial presence.

Do you start Fort and try and work Max over early and conserve Oscar's energy and then bring on some fresh run as sub and have Oscar solo the game from there.

My thoughts are the coaches will be nervous about lack of tall insurance especially if we play Melbourne but also against Carlton. So I wouldn't be surprised if we see a tall added to the mix either on the ground or as sub. Port's midfield was their only way to success and having Boak as sub is why we had our most experienced VFL mid as sub.

The success of a sub is all done in hindsight and on bad luck. Just depends if you get an injury early to a significant player.

If Neale or Dunkley went down you would be hoping Lyons was the sub, if O went down you would be hoping Fort, if Harris/Jack went down Gardiner.

If we had no injuries during game the only player on our list who I think could be good as a tactical sub late in a tight game would be Nakia Cockatoo, could come on and provide some grunt and a bit of X factor with a few high impact possessions.

Id prefer Fort forward, Bailey on ball and Ah Chee down back.

Havent been impressed by Cocky in the 2s. 10-15 disposals and a goal or 2 a game isn’t nearly enough. He seems to have plateaued as a pretty average state league forward

Id prefer Fort forward, Bailey on ball and Ah Chee down back.

Havent been impressed by Cocky in the 2s. 10-15 disposals and a goal or 2 a game isn’t nearly enough. He seems to have plateaued as a pretty average state league forward

Fort has looked terrible forward. IMO him and O need to be basically interchanging for most of it.

Depends what you think the game will look like I think.

If Fort is sub, then we will be activating him at a time where either the game will be in the balance or we are up by a decent margin (based on Melbourne's recent form and ability to score). Maybe this helps give some fresh aerial presence.

Do you start Fort and try and work Max over early and conserve Oscar's energy and then bring on some fresh run as sub and have Oscar solo the game from there.

My thoughts are the coaches will be nervous about lack of tall insurance especially if we play Melbourne but also against Carlton. So I wouldn't be surprised if we see a tall added to the mix either on the ground or as sub. Port's midfield was their only way to success and having Boak as sub is why we had our most experienced VFL mid as sub.

Not convinced we have any potential subs that are real game changers (at least not in the way we usually use it), so I think a planned situational sub makes sense.

My concern is that starting Fort and Oscar leaves us down a runner as well as messing with the balance that took us a few weeks to work out post Ashcroft going down. The other issue is that Gawn has really been a game changer in the last quarter when the opposition is tired and just bombs it long. If we don't sub out Fort, we're probably carrying Lyons and Fort on the ground during the closing stages of the game.

Not convinced we have any potential subs that are real game changers (at least not in the way we usually use it), so I think a planned situational sub makes sense.

My concern is that starting Fort and Oscar leaves us down a runner as well as messing with the balance that took us a few weeks to work out post Ashcroft going down. The other issue is that Gawn has really been a game changer in the last quarter when the opposition is tired and just bombs it long. If we don't sub out Fort, we're probably carrying Lyons and Fort on the ground during the closing stages of the game.
Come on Carlton, make this dilemma academic.

Not sure what all the fuss is about Payne, he did plenty of good things.

He was playing one of the better forwards in the competition who at times was given great service from an elite midfield.
That’s what I saw as well, made a couple errors but thought the positives he brought at the very least broke even with the negatives. Think he might be suffering from what Andrews has dealt with the last couple seasons where he’s set the standard so high that even an average game for a key back is disappointing for some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back