Opinion North Melbourne Priority Picks Part 2 - 2023/2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Full clean out, leave the coaching staff in place.

Soft cap relief for a couple of years at least. AFL to do a review and appoint who they see fit.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Why do the coaching staff deserve to be immune?

And there wouldn't be need for soft cap relief if they didn't shoot themselves in the foot by overpaying Clarkson and left nothing to attract experienced assistant coaches.

Need to get rid of Clarko and actually fund themselves a proper coaching team.

$1.6 million per year for 5 years on a has been coach who is basically a soundboard for footy clichés that they play at a post-conference.

He's completely lost the plot.

1.6 million a year lol

Even the low estimate of 1.1million a year isn't painting a pretty picture.

Unless you're happy with a coach playing 4 midfielders in defense who can't defend.
Playing your best wingman on the half back flank when his weakest area of his game is his footskills and his strength is his endurance.
Playing your only viable CHF option at CHB (has been good for Comben individually but extremely bad structurally and terrible for Larkey)
Not playing Sheezel into the midfield until round 7

A LOT has gone wrong with recruitment/development but I can't remember a side that has been coached worse than this Clarkson North side. I genuinely think you guys played better during the Noble days (and you were terrible during Noble's time).

Why do the coaching staff deserve to be immune?

And there wouldn't be need for soft cap relief if they didn't shoot themselves in the foot by overpaying Clarkson and left nothing to attract experienced assistant coaches.
If the AFL see fit, have at them too. I don't give a heck who stays or goes tbqh.

Clarko is about 15 games into his career at NM after last year's clusterheck. I thought I'd give him a pass based on his history.

To be clear, not judging the kids at all. I’m judging Fisher and Stephens, who were both very average footballers long before they joined North.
Look, I was critical of the decisions to chase them last year (and was howled down, mind you). But they are a good example of the fallacy of saying that we need to get mature bodies and experienced players. Because try as we might to get quality in the door, we just can't. We get knocked back time and time again. Honestly, what sort of masochist would want to voluntarily l ave any other club to play for North Melbourne at this point?

I honestly reckon we should go down the GWS path - just get as many draft picks in the door each year - they don't always work, but the sheer volume means they don't have to all work. And if anyone good wants out, they always get a decent pick back, and the cycle continues. And six finals series from the last 8 seasons is a pretty good track record.

Look, I was critical of the decisions to chase them last year (and was howled down, mind you). But they are a good example of the fallacy of saying that we need to get mature bodies and experienced players. Because try as we might to get quality in the door, we just can't. We get knocked back time and time again. Honestly, what sort of masochist would want to voluntarily l ave any other club to play for North Melbourne at this point?

I honestly reckon we should go down the GWS path - just get as many draft picks in the door each year - they don't always work, but the sheer volume means they don't have to all work. And if anyone good wants out, they always get a decent pick back, and the cycle continues. And six finals series from the last 8 seasons is a pretty good track record.

Mature bodies definitely help, but you need the right ones.

For instance, a lot of WCE fans were a bit 'WTF?' when we brought Hunt in but he's been worth his weight in gold.

Conversely, older WAFL players(West/Clark) weren't the way moving forward and SPS and Langdon ended up duds.

The calls of simply bringing in senior players as a 'fix' isn't a great one, because the club really needs to do their due diligence and not just bring in blokes looking for a top up of their super.

AFLs limp “assistance package” was nothing more than a PR stunt. At no point will the AFL need North (and others) to be better than a 15th to 10th team.

The competition is a pantomime wrestling match.

The Tarryn Thomas debacle warrants a compensation priority pick on its own. 18 week suspension and Geelong have already signed him up.

AFLs limp “assistance package” was nothing more than a PR stunt. At no point will the AFL need North (and others) to be better than a 15th to 10th team.

The competition is a pantomime wrestling match.

The Tarryn Thomas debacle warrants a compensation priority pick on its own. 18 week suspension and Geelong have already signed him up.
Nobody needs North to be better than a 15th to 10th team. Why would they? The idea of assistance is about having you guys put up a show each week, not about making you successful.

Nobody needs North to be better than a 15th to 10th team. Why would they? The idea of assistance is about having you guys put up a show each week, not about making you successful.
Agree. Assist enough not to be a total drain on revenue.

You dont improve with end of first/start of second heavily compromised draft picks that you have to trade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree. Assist enough not to be a total drain on revenue.

You dont improve with end of first/start of second heavily compromised draft picks that you have to trade.
1. North didn't have to trade them.

2. North appeared to make no effort to get creative with their early picks at the draft, could've looked to split 2 or 3 and picked up an extra top 10 potentially. 1 of Caddy/O'Sullivan would've been great additions, for instance.

Instead of putting themselves in a position to pick the eyes out of the best talls, they again went for more of the same at 2 & 3, picked a couple of talls at the end of the first round and picked up a state league plodder(Pink) and another club's castoff(Nyuon), who clearly aren't up to the grade. Comben at least is looking the goods and we'll see when Logue comes back, which still leaves Larkey a lone hand up forward, who'll be at the end of his career before a capable partner establishes themselves in the forward line, if they can't trade for one.

North have had 3 years worth of PPs, they need to show now they can dig themselves out of the hole they've put themselves in.

Need to get rid of Clarko and actually fund themselves a proper coaching team.

$1.6 million per year for 5 years on a has been coach who is basically a soundboard for footy clichés that they play at a post-conference.

He's completely lost the plot.

Clarko must be laughing. I would be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the AFL see fit, have at them too. I don't give a * who stays or goes tbqh.

Clarko is about 15 games into his career at NM after last year's cluster*. I thought I'd give him a pass based on his history.

Which history? Hawthorn didnt give him the arse with 2 years left on his contract for the fun of it. Not sure why no one makes this a point, North signed a coach his previous club paid 2 million not to be there anymore and signed said coach for 5 million+ over 5 years. It's hallmark incompetence.

Which history? Hawthorn didnt give him the arse with 2 years left on his contract for the fun of it. Not sure why no one makes this a point, North signed a coach his previous club paid 2 million not to be there anymore and signed said coach for 5 million+ over 5 years. It's hallmark incompetence.
Wasn’t the story more like Hawthorn was desperate for Mitchell to be their coach but he was being pursued by Collingwood, so the Hawks had to make the tough call to do a “handover year” (which failed)?

Um, the history of where he has run a successful AFL coaching program that yielded 4 flags?

Just because you had a 'successor' lined up and he cracked the shits, doesn't mean he can't install stability and a program that another coach can take over in the future.

We aren't paying Clarko to win us a flag, we are paying him to lift standards, help with player acquisition and retention, and elevate the football department to a professional level after years of s**t*ery.

Will it happen? Who the heck knows...

This is a good point. Assistance for struggling clubs should just be a matter of not making them an incompetent joke for years. Being successful needs to be generated from the club. Most clubs, especially Victorian ones, need to do that. Why should the onus be on the governing body to help North be successful? Don't they get enough help from other clubs as it is?

Um, the history of where he has run a successful AFL coaching program that yielded 4 flags?

Just because you had a 'successor' lined up and he cracked the shits, doesn't mean he can't install stability and a program that another coach can take over in the future.

We aren't paying Clarko to win us a flag, we are paying him to lift standards, help with player acquisition and retention, and elevate the football department to a professional level after years of s**t*ery.

Will it happen? Who the * knows...

Jesus wept...

You're paying a guy 1.1-1.6 million a year for the lofty goals of not being the worst side in the competition?

It's worse than I thought.

Fold the club at that point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back