Opinion North Melbourne Priority Picks Part 2 - 2023/2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Simple question - should they get one?
Since 2012 the AFL have some 'discretionary formula' for handing out PPs consisting of wins in previous seasons, on-field prospects, list age, astrology charts and a rough measure of just how much Darcy "likes the way the list goes about it".

They might snag a win or two from here but they are a firmly developing side who would have certainly qualified for some form of assistance under the old formula. They are also 'carrying the can' in less desirable timeslots so some would argue deserve some from of goodwill on that measure as well.

Should they get a priority pick and if so, which pick(s)?

North Melbourne receives priority pick assistance package​

The AFL has awarded North Melbourne with three end-of-first round draft picks: one in 2023, and two in the 2024 season.

Further, the Kangaroos will keep two additional rookie list spots for the 2024 season, extending a deal that was set in place last year.

It is the second time in two seasons that the club has been granted supplementary draft picks and added list spots.

Part 2!!!

Is this where they finally give us a start of first round priority pick instead of bundling up later picks as assistance
It's your lucky day!

This is the year the AFL gives you a band 1 compo pick despite Ben McKay not getting band 1 money.

It's the priority pick the AFL gives you when they don't want say they are giving you a priority pick. Aka what happened with Frawley and Melbourne.

All IMHO

Part 2!!!

Is this where they finally give us a start of first round priority pick instead of bundling up later picks as assistance
Like the 12 days of Christmas you reckon? This was just Day 1 :p
Hopes/wishes for the remaining 11?

It's your lucky day!

This is the year the AFL gives you a band 1 compo pick despite Ben McKay not getting band 1 money.

It's the priority pick the AFL gives you when they don't want say they are giving you a priority pick. Aka what happened with Frawley and Melbourne.

All IMHO

Except none of this has anything to do with a priority pick and your honest opinion seems like it is going to be factually incorrect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yawn…… has anyone got a list of who has received priority picks over the last 20 years?

Edit: Found it, duh (Wikipedia). Has been doled out just like I thought. Good old AFL, never change.

The lions in 2016 also.

Yep fair.

The issue is the old system at least was transparent. The AFL secret herbs and spices is getting ridiculous. The draft is so compromised at this point I wouldn't want to be rebuilding in the next 10 years with Tassie coming in.

This year alone half a dozen players from the best 22 will go as academy and father son picks. Plus free agency compo clubs will get.

It all should be scrapped, the draft should be undiluted. The AFL is run like a bush league.

Yep fair.

The issue is the old system at least was transparent. The AFL secret herbs and spices is getting ridiculous. The draft is so compromised at this point I wouldn't want to be rebuilding in the next 10 years with Tassie coming in.

This year alone half a dozen players from the best 22 will go as academy and father son picks. Plus free agency compo clubs will get.

It all should be scrapped, the draft should be undiluted. The AFL is run like a bush league.
100% agree with all of this. The AFL is a joke when it comes to this stuff.
I’m not against scrapping all of the compromising factors of the draft. In saying that, if father sons and academy picks are to stay in then maybe a bid for those players needs to be matched with a pick in the same round… 🤷‍♂️
Does that fix anything? No idea

100% agree with all of this. The AFL is a joke when it comes to this stuff.
I’m not against scrapping all of the compromising factors of the draft. In saying that, if father sons and academy picks are to stay in then maybe a bid for those players needs to be matched with a pick in the same round… 🤷‍♂️
Does that fix anything? No idea

The issue at the moment where you can get a top 5 talent for a 'points' is nuts. A top 5 player in the draft isn't the same value as a bunch of 2nd,3rd and 4th round picks.

Free agency compo and having to trade an out of contract player is also idiotic.

For me you scrap it all. Equalisation is the draft pick given due to ladder position.

If players are leaving clubs, giving more players isn't the solution. The only thing that should be allowed is if a player stays at one club they can get some incentive outside of the cap as an example. Say 5-10% of what the average AFL wage is.

Allow players to be traded on draft night which occurs in other sports with drafts e.g NBA. So if a club really wants a player they can negotiate an outcome.

The AFL is full of inequities starting with father son which everyone seems to love but is completely unfair especially for non-vic non-expansion clubs, the fixture and northern academies. this is jus another example of a long list.
It is funny to see the Grand finalists and premiership favourite having three AA father sons this season then us all getting so upset over this handout.
The competition is so compromised that I’ve almost stopped caring who gets what.

I’d rather go back to the PP system where if a team loses less than x games over a 2 year period, they get a pick attached to their first.

It will result in some tanking, but that occurs anyway. At least it’s black and white for all clubs.
Same but I wish the picks were later.
Maybe if you are out of finals for say five years you get a pick at the end of the second round. If you win less then x amount of games over 2-3 years you get a mid second round pick (pick 29)

Football is so different to say Basketball where one or two picks can your future that maybe more draft pick are need to help lower sides imo.
If Reid has head injuries like McCartin does then losing that one player now means that WC have a worse draft hand then the premiers. Best case is they get to take one play ahead of the premiers in the draft before picking behind them all draft. Atm WC are about 6-7 players away so it’s a long road back.

Seriously get ****ed. North is being rewarded for its own terrible list management and administration by the AFL.

The problem is all these young guns will come good all at once and lift them to a top 4 position which they won't have earned based on anything other than being gifted talent. Meanwhile, every other club is being punished and has to deal with a reduced draft hand.

Let them dig themselves out of this hole the right way and build some success in a sustainable way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back