Opinion North Melbourne Priority Picks Part 2 - 2023/2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolute joke of a competition.
There is seriously no reward for finishing 8th to 12th these days (St Kilda/Essendon) last decade.
Nth will be the new Carlton with more number 1s than the Beatles & Michael Jackson combined.
What's the point of finishing 9th to 12th? Worst part of the ladder to finish. Top 8 is good as you play finals.

Bottom 6 you get an early pick which you can use to get one of the best available kids or trade a top 6 pick for picks or players or both

Seriously get ****ed. North is being rewarded for its own terrible list management and administration by the AFL.

The problem is all these young guns will come good all at once and lift them to a top 4 position which they won't have earned based on anything other than being gifted talent. Meanwhile, every other club is being punished and has to deal with a reduced draft hand.

Let them dig themselves out of this hole the right way and build some success in a sustainable way.
I don't disagree, but 4 years straight of bottom 2 finishes- how long does it go on?

Absolute joke of a competition.
There is seriously no reward for finishing 8th to 12th these days (St Kilda/Essendon) last decade.
Nth will be the new Carlton with more number 1s than the Beatles & Michael Jackson combined.

We don't have a number 1 pick on our list and don't have the 1 pick this year.

So that may be difficult....

Agree 100% with what Chris Scott said. This is blatant manipulation by the AFL. North will probably end up with the No.1 midfield courtesy of top 3 draft picks and priority picks.

North’s sustained mediocrity can be sheeted home to poor player management, in particular, letting 11 players go at the end of 2020 including Ben Brown.

Agree 100% with what Chris Scott said. This is blatant manipulation by the AFL, and when North ends up with the No.1 midfield courtesy of top 3 draft picks and priority picks.

North’s sustained mediocrity can be sheeted home to poor player management, in particular, letting 11 players go at the end of 2020 including Ben Brown.

Oh yes, the AFL manipulating the system with top 3 picks that were given as part of the draft system.

What top 3 draft picks have the AFL given us again?

We recieved Wardlaw because our #1 pick walked out after 12 months making a mockery of the draft system.

LDU was a top 4 pick because we won the last round of the year when we were 18th (for the second time after this year) and avoided the spoon (Rayner)

I swear, people would be laying the tanking boots in if they could also.

Oh yes, the AFL manipulating the system with top 3 picks that were given as part of the draft system.

What top 3 draft picks have the AFL given us again?
Top 3 picks are the reward for finishing low. There shouldn’t be priority picks when the calamity is of your own making. Blind Freddy could see this unfolding when the Club axed 11 players in 2020

I don't disagree, but 4 years straight of bottom 2 finishes- how long does it go on?

The problem is there is a lag effect with assistance via the draft.

You are potentially assembling a generational midfield at the moment but won't see the results for another few years.

What's going to happen in 4 years time if North has the league's best midfield are the AFL going to say they got it wrong and force them to hand those players back?

Top 3 picks are the reward for finishing low. There shouldn’t be priority picks when the calamity is of your own making. Blind Freddy could see this unfolding when the Club axed 11 players in 2020

You didn't answer your own statement though.

How will North end up with the best midfield in the league from priority picks and AFL assistance?

Current AFL assistance = Darcy Tucker and Griffen Logue.

People are just really buthurt about mainly the likely McKay compo - Blame Essendon.

The problem is there is a lag effect with assistance via the draft.

You are potentially assembling a generational midfield at the moment but won't see the results for another few years.

What's going to happen in 4 years time if North has the league's best midfield are the AFL going to say they got it wrong and force them to hand those players back?

Hand which players back?

LDU, Wardlaw and Sheezel?

McKercher for finishing 17th?

Who from Majak Daw, Jamie Macmillan, Jasper Pittard, Ben Jacobs, Paul Ahern, Mason Wood, Sam Durdin, Marley Williams, Joel Crocker, Lachie Hosie and Tom Murphy should we have retained mate?

We’d had Mason for 7 years but he never strung it together and outside of Majak (0 games for the Dees by the way) and Durdin (1 game for Carlton), no one else got picked up by any other club.

So ya reckon if we didn’t delist them we’d be fighting for a spot in the top 8?

Muppet.

You didn't answer your own statement though.

How will North end up with the best midfield in the league from priority picks and AFL assistance?

Current AFL assistance = Darcy Tucker and Griffen Logue.

People are just really buthurt about mainly the likely McKay compo - Blame Essendon.
With gifted first-round selections this year -- picks 14 and 19 -- and three 2024 first-round selections. That’s how

Who from Majak Daw, Jamie Macmillan, Jasper Pittard, Ben Jacobs, Paul Ahern, Mason Wood, Sam Durdin, Marley Williams, Joel Crocker, Lachie Hosie and Tom Murphy should we have retained mate?

We’d had Mason for 7 years but he never strung it together and outside of Majak (0 games for the Dees by the way) and Durdin (1 game for Carlton), no one else got picked up by any other club.

So ya reckon if we didn’t delist them we’d be fighting for a spot in the top 8?

Muppet.

I see you left out Ben Brown.

Point is no decent club sheds half the team and then cries poor. It’s a delicate balancing act, except at North

With gifted first-round selections this year -- picks 14 and 19 -- and three 2024 first-round selections. That’s how

Oh, so picks that might actually not be midfielders at all.

"Gifted" Pick 14?

You mean Ports first rounder for trading JHF? Our former #1 pick?

And it's 2 x end of first round selections in 2024, unless you are counting OUR first round pick in 2024 as an AFL gift now?

You are definitely a trade radio caller aren't you?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see you left out Ben Brown.

Point is no decent club sheds half the team and then cries poor. It’s a delicate balancing act, except at North

Ben Brown wanted $800k per year on a long contract.

Given the development of Larkey into one of the best FF's in the competition and Browns regression as a player, I'd say that decision has been vindicated.

Morning coffee today
Dougie Payne Crying GIF by Travis

We don't have a number 1 pick on our list and don't have the 1 pick this year.

So that may be difficult....
Ok, to be more specific, 1st rounders, not actually No1 pick. What is there now, already 14-15? Over a 3rd of your list already.
Although I don't like seeing teams constantly down the bottom but where do we go now that this is allowed? So if WC Eagles continue to be putrid for next 2 years does that mean they get assistance in already a compromised draft with Tassie coming in?
Priority pick rule changed years ago with the expansion teams but Melbourne/Richmond/Fremantle & now Carlton seemed to have lifted themselves off the canvass the long hard way.
Look at Geelong, if not one of the best well run clubs in the land haven't had a many 1st rounders in almost 2 decades but seem to always compete. Maybe get the off field stuff in order before always putting your hand out for gifts.

Ok, to be more specific, 1st rounders, not actually No1 pick. What is there now, already 14-15? Over a 3rd of your list already.
Although I don't like seeing teams constantly down the bottom but where do we go now that this is allowed? So if WC Eagles continue to be putrid for next 2 years does that mean they get assistance in already a compromised draft with Tassie coming in?
Priority pick rule changed years ago with the expansion teams but Melbourne/Richmond/Fremantle & now Carlton seemed to have lifted themselves off the canvass the long hard way.
Look at Geelong, if not one of the best well run clubs in the land haven't had a many 1st rounders in almost 2 decades but seem to always compete. Maybe get the off field stuff in order before always putting your hand out for gifts.

Off the back of priority picks at the very top end of the draft...

Off the back of priority picks at the very top end of the draft...
Who? Priority pick ended in 2009, I believe. Which teams benefited from Priorty picks that ended with success on the named clubs?
Last time I checked, Trengrove/Scully are not premiership players.
Martin was pick 3 (should have been pick 2). Rance only priority pick we got at end of 07 in which he went at pick 18, hardly top end.
Carlton shithouse for years earned those picks for continuing to get the spoon.
Fremantle? What handouts did they get?
Only team that actually benefited from handouts was Hawthorn which I didn't name but were going back to 2003.

Last edited:
Who? Priority pick ended in 2009, I believe. Which teams benefited from Priorty picks that ended with success on the named clubs?
Last time I checked, Trengrove/Scully are not premiership players.
Martin was pick 3 (should have been pick 2). Rance only priority pick we got at end of 07 in which he went at pick 18, hardly top end.
Carlton shithouse for years earned those picks for continuing to get the spoon.
Fremantle? What handouts did they get?
Only team that actually benefited from handouts was Hawthorn which I didn't name but were going back to 2003.

Explain how this is different to our current situation.

Agree with Fremantle. I was only quoting your post so you were the one that dragged them into this.

Can those end of r1 compo picks be used as trade currency, or are they mandatory picks? Of they can be used as currency that's total BS..

Can those end of r1 compo picks be used as trade currency, or are they mandatory picks? Of they can be used as currency that's total BS..

They can be used as trade currency.

You might think that's "total BS" but it's nowhere near the level of BS as your Gold Coast salary dump trade from last year.

Thanks for playing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back