What would you trade for inevitable North Melbourne Priority Pick (2024)?

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 2 (assuming with some confidence that North finish last) and it must be traded for at least one experienced player + collateral. AFL to sign off on the deal, clubs start your bidding!

If they take the Pick 2 deal, Pick 1 must also be traded to the highest bidder.

I'd endorse the lowering of the salary cap floor, a rebuilding club has to grossly overpay players to reach that floor, and then can't outspend to draw senior talent, too many ways for clubs at the top to sidestep the cap, like the 110% for x years, North should have multiple millions in space but the rules prevent them.
you can easily do that by front ending contracts besides the PA would never allow it.

Weitering and Balta could become the highest paid players in the game next season if North wanted to make them but clubs are reluctant to overpay massively for players in fear of upsetting the rest of the playing group so that’s why these “war chests” rarely work.

Pick 2 (assuming with some confidence that North finish last) and it must be traded for at least one experienced player + collateral. AFL to sign off on the deal, clubs start your bidding!

If they take the Pick 2 deal, Pick 1 must also be traded to the highest bidder.
So another club gets to offload somebody they don't want to keep, AND get pick 2. While the worst side in decades gets essentially a VFL player?

No Thank You Reaction GIF

No, all clubs bid for pick 2 (plus pick 1 IF North accept). AFL has to agree on best offer (or that the offer is insufficient).

Another pick 1, 2 etc doesn't help North in the short term.
1. So what if clubs just put up duds?

2. That's not how trading works anyway - it's the players that decide where they want to go, and then the clubs have to work it out after that.

3a. Harley Reid, Harry Sheezel, Nick Daicos, etc all say hello.

3b. Why the obsession with someone who helps in the short term? Surely we are better off having someone who will be a good player for 15 years, not have a little sugar hit.

I say this with the greatest of respect, because I envy the way Geelong has been able to constantly regenerate over the past 15+ years without ever dropping down. But I feel like you can't possibly understand North Melbourne's situation. Good players don't want to come. They just don't, and, frankly, I don't blame them.

If you were, say, Hugh McCluggage - you'll get $1m + wherever you go, so do you go to Geelong, and play finals every year, Collingwood and play on the MCG most weeks, Essendon and play Anzac Day, Dreamtime, etc, or North Melbourne, and maybe win a few games next year, play in the worst timeslots, etc, etc? Sure, we can offer a few hundred grand more, but at the level these guys are being paid, does that even matter?

Give us high-end draft picks, tell us we CAN'T trade them, and then be patient.

I can see it now. AFL can turn it into an event. Pick 2 for free but must be traded on draft day for an established player. Every club must make an offer whereby North ranks each offer from 17 to 1.

Anyway we have draft day and Rawlings standing at the stage, the music hits.

ITS BEN MCKAY, WHAT A DOUBLE CROSS, WAS THIS THE PLAN ALL ALONG?

You know it makes sense

1. So what if clubs just put up duds?

2. That's not how trading works anyway - it's the players that decide where they want to go, and then the clubs have to work it out after that.

3a. Harley Reid, Harry Sheezel, Nick Daicos, etc all say hello.

3b. Why the obsession with someone who helps in the short term? Surely we are better off having someone who will be a good player for 15 years, not have a little sugar hit.

I say this with the greatest of respect, because I envy the way Geelong has been able to constantly regenerate over the past 15+ years without ever dropping down. But I feel like you can't possibly understand North Melbourne's situation. Good players don't want to come. They just don't, and, frankly, I don't blame them.

If you were, say, Hugh McCluggage - you'll get $1m + wherever you go, so do you go to Geelong, and play finals every year, Collingwood and play on the MCG most weeks, Essendon and play Anzac Day, Dreamtime, etc, or North Melbourne, and maybe win a few games next year, play in the worst timeslots, etc, etc? Sure, we can offer a few hundred grand more, but at the level these guys are being paid, does that even matter?

Give us high-end draft picks, tell us we CAN'T trade them, and then be patient.

That's true I don't. Although Geelong were in a bad way when Colbert requested a trade way back in 99 IIRC.

1 If the clubs put up duds the AFL doesn't approve it.

2 Yes that's the problem here, but all potential solutions have their issues.

3 Because the short term is what is bothering the AFL and the other clubs ie being competitive now. The longer term I don't think is going to be an issue, although the longer those talented kids go without learning to win the harder the journey becomes.

North just need time. Their young guys are good.

Don't think Clarko was the right call but he at least should develop the kids the right way.

It's crazy to me that North have to pay their players the same ammount as the top sides. Where the heck is the money going in the salary cap?

Seriously, they should get nothing. PP don't magically materialise into experienced players. It takes time. Give the picks time to pan out - or time to merge / relocate / back to VFL - you can't keep punishing other clubs with PPs for North (or anyone else).

They've already had Priority Picks 19 and 20 in this years draft, there won't be any more.

North are a drain on the AFL and in terms of importance of clubs they're 19th. Fitzroy had their licence taken away for being less crap than North are right now.

Other clubs won't allow another round of North begging bowl this year. Got to either make a go of it as the smallest fish in the biggest pond or get out.

Fitzroy lost their licence as they were broke and went into administration, this doesn’t apply to north.

How many PPs have Port Adelaide and Adelaide received?
Port highest ever pick used to draft a player was a pick four for Hamish Hartlett.
Where they traded players out to get into the 2018 draft that had been identified as high end for SA tallent where they picked Rozee & Butters.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fitzroy lost their licence as they were broke and went into administration, this doesn’t apply to north.
The AFL conspired against the Roys because they needed one less team in Melbourne.
Where thy introduced a short term rule; you could grab one uncontracted player from anoher club.
Guess which club lost players under that rule: Peter Craven to the Crows was one of them.

It's crazy to me that North have to pay their players the same ammount as the top sides.
Someone suggested the other week that the salary cap could be combined with the football department spending cap. That way if you have extra young players (that are cheap) you can spend more in coaching and development.

How about loaning players to North from other clubs at the mid season draft. All clubs can offer up 1-2 players, North add who they want for the rest of the year. Any player who performs well and they want to keep gets the transfer pick paid for by the AFL with a 25-50% points bonus added. The initial trade value is figured out on Big Footy.

It's a competitive try before Dad buys it for you.
How about North play experience playersalready on their list, say a big body player called Greenwood

Someone suggested the other week that the salary cap could be combined with the football department spending cap. That way if you have extra young players (that are cheap) you can spend more in coaching and development.
North is going about this completely wrongly.

They pay a head coach somewhere in the range of $1.2m - 1.6m a season? Anyone, that saw his completely clueless game-plans at Hawthorn where he would get the players to chip the ball around the backline slowly and then as the zone shifted the ball it would just get dumped down the boundary line. Ugly football and ultimately self-defeating.

Not to mention, what he did with hawthorn's list which he drove into the ground, virtually single-handledly due to his control of the club, being head coach, strategist and recruiter, with no one being able to question his judgement; then by getting rid of experienced players for token picks and bringing in expensive recruits. Effectively, shutting hawthorn out of the top levels of multiple drafts several years running.

What, north should be doing is putting their money into the best recruitment team (or equal) across the competition and elite development coaches. With the elite talent north has been gifted by the afl (which is considerably more than other clubs at the tail end of the ladder, perhaps with the exception of GC) they should be looking to invest in their most valuable assets, young players and getting the best young talent, rather then a messiah figure.

Clarkson is in reality a rather ordinary coach, those only idea is to keep north as low for as long as possible to pick up as many early draft picks; either earned by low finishes or by pressurising the afl into providing hand-outs.

It is a disgrace and the sad reality is that a lot of north supporters have brought into this delusion.

Last edited:
The problem with all these ideas is they all negatively effect other teams.

'Extra cap space' - How is that fair on teams who will be losing required players because they can not match the amount of money being thrown around.

'Extra soft cap space' - Again these teams will be losing required staff members because of an unfair advantage.

'Extra early draft picks' - Pushing back and hurting other rebuilding teams can't be the answer.
So what was wrong with my hit the academies/ father son? Keeps the rest of the draft accessible

North just need time. Their young guys are good.

Don't think Clarko was the right call but he at least should develop the kids the right way.

It's crazy to me that North have to pay their players the same ammount as the top sides. Where the heck is the money going in the salary cap?

They have to overpay players to meet the cap minimum. The cap minimum is bad and needs to go, but the AFLPA are not going to agree to a deal where the players, on aggregate, get paid less.

I'd endorse the lowering of the salary cap floor, a rebuilding club has to grossly overpay players to reach that floor, and then can't outspend to draw senior talent, too many ways for clubs at the top to sidestep the cap, like the 110% for x years, North should have multiple millions in space but the rules prevent them.
I dont mind the salary cap floor going down to 90 percent. nice wriggle room If the salary cap is 13 million, then there is 1.3 million to move around. that could lure a free agent or 2 or give younger players an extra $100-$200,000 a year in their next contract.

Hell back in 2010-2011 when Port was struggling and Collingwood made grand finals, the salary floor was 92.5%

If the Salary cap is 15 million, 90 percent of that is 13.5 million. 92.5% of 15 million is 13.875 million or round it off to 14 million.

I can see it now. AFL can turn it into an event. Pick 2 for free but must be traded on draft day for an established player. Every club must make an offer whereby North ranks each offer from 17 to 1.

Anyway we have draft day and Rawlings standing at the stage, the music hits.

ITS BEN MCKAY, WHAT A DOUBLE CROSS, WAS THIS THE PLAN ALL ALONG?

You know it makes sense
Xtreme , I can see Some Random bloke in a hood and Robe... Turns out to be Vince McMahon. lol

ITS ME AUSTIN!! IT WAS ME ALL ALONG!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back