North to go winless in 2024?

Remove this Banner Ad

Elliott Himmelberg isn’t totally awful, has played a couple of ok games recently. They’d get him for a swap of 3rd rounders.

Was surprised they didn’t go after Hamling who we got for depth no superstar but at worst a big body back there.

Yep. An example is George Hewett. If they made an offer to Carlton in the 30's they would likely get him, and Hewett would be really useful for them. Not a star, but super reliable and fairly hard too.

They could get bargain players like that if they go looking.

It took quite some time for Carlton to land some long term contributors.

What about all the players recruited/drafted beforehand?

Mark Whiley, Jason Tutt, Matt Shaw, Aaron Mullett, Daniel Gorringe, Cam O'Shea, Alex Fasolo, Jarrod Garlett, Sam Kerridge, Matthew Dick, Billie Smedts, Hugh Goddard, Rhys Palmer, etc.

My goodness this was a nightmare period. Forgot some of these were even at the club.

Maybe North are doing this now and more are still yet to come.

Five years worth of this crap for the Roos with no end seemingly in sight as well. This situation might require AFL intervention soon enough.

As a Carlton fan i know a fair bit about wooden spoons over the past twenty or so years, but at least we're competitive now.

It must be soul destroying for Roos fans. They need some hope to cling to, and something to believe in going forwards.

At the moment though it seems they have nothing. It's sad supporters of all the clubs, should have hope and a reason to enjoy going to the footy imo.
I have seen North Melbournes list.... There are holes there.

The midfield will be decent eventually with Sheezel and Tom Powell in that side.

Nick Larkey and Cam Zuhaar are both good forwards.

Their back 6 is their main reason why they are bad.

They need a 195-200 cm tall full back to counter the full forwards or ruckman forwards.

They also need a 188-192 cm type like a Griffin Logue or Tom Dodee that can play 3rd tall as a back pocket or back flanker or 2nd tall as a centre half back.

If you are gonna do a rebuild you want to draft all the key position players 1st as they take long to develop then the mids

It took quite some time for Carlton to land some long term contributors.

What about all the players recruited/drafted beforehand?

Mark Whiley, Jason Tutt, Matt Shaw, Aaron Mullett, Daniel Gorringe, Cam O'Shea, Alex Fasolo, Jarrod Garlett, Sam Kerridge, Matthew Dick, Billie Smedts, Hugh Goddard, Rhys Palmer, etc.

My goodness this was a nightmare period. Forgot some of these were even at the club.

Maybe North are doing this now and more are still yet to come.

All of those players were such hit or miss players. I mean they all missed, but they were always going to be hit or miss.

If a team is bad, why not go for the player that is never going to be a star, is never going to be a highlight real player but someone who always contributes and always does their job. It is a good way of laying a foundation.

I mean, that is why Melbourne brought in Daniel Cross and Bernie Vince, both of whom Melbourne knew exactly what they were going to get. There was no speculation on the type of players they were going to be at Melbourne.

I wonder if Carlton, even in your depths of crapness were still better than North is now, still with more hope.

Even when Carlton were bad they still had fewer holes in their list. They had Fevola for instance, they had young mids, they had Betts, they had a somewhat acceptable backline. They were still crap, but they had those pieces, pieces North do not have.

We never had multiple seasons as bad as what north have been doing. Only comparable season is 2018, but that was bookended by 7 win seasons on either side.

They have won 10 of their last 91 games which is insanely bad. They are actually worse now on field than they were in 2021, and about on par with 2022.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree
There's no point having a stacked midfield is there is no one to kick goals once it gets in there.

We will likely finish last so that's pick 1
If LDU requests a trade we would get similar returns to what we got for JHF.
Also would have some compo if Zuurharr leaves via free agency.

We simply cannot go into 2025 with a leaky undermanned defense and Larkey being tripled team every game.

Whilst longer term potentially having the first 3 picks will make the side better, short term the side could would be worse again taking out Zuurhar and LDU.

Quite frankly they need older KPD's now so when they recruit the younger KPD's they are not immediately thrown to the wolves.
True. But back in 2020 and 2021, north needed a tall defender or 2. A 19 or 20 year old tall defender North Melbourne should of got in 2020 would be 23 or 24 years old in 2024 with 30-60 games under the belt.

They already traded in an older key defender. He is sadly injured. He is 192 cm tall and in his prime. His name Griffin Logue

I reckon put Carlton's 2018 line-up for a better comparison.

That being the club's worst season in more than 100 years.
That's true but we almost won a third spoon in a row in 2007! We possibly could've been tanking that year as well though!

That period from 2002 to 2007 was the bleakest in our history imo. Although we did manage to finish as high as 11th in 2004.

The scary thing for the Roos is that they could easily have been going for a fifth spoon in a row this year!

Last edited:
Quite frankly they need older KPD's now so when they recruit the younger KPD's they are not immediately thrown to the wolves.
Yeah but they have had defenders, free agency has destroyed their ability to hold onto them...

The straight forward problem is that Free Agency makes the comp more uneven, and the draft is actually really poor as an equalisation measure, (part due to free agency, and part due to players having so much control on where they go irrespective of FA status), and the lack of impact players have in their first 2 or 3 years in the system.

ie at the end of this year if LDU + Zurharr decide they want out, Norths rebuild just goes back further they replace them with more draft picks?

How do you get kids to want to stay at North?

Similar to the problem Brisbane was having they are really waiting / trying to get commitment from a bunch of young kids to stick it out for the long run, hopefully that's the Wardlaw / Sheezel group, but if its not, what choice do they have but to reset and go around the draft merry-go-round again..

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back