Opinion North Melbourne Priority Picks Part 2 - 2023/2024

Remove this Banner Ad

North shopping him around negates the fact he has a contract.
blinking trailer park boys GIF

How do St Kilda engineer a top 5 pick in 2024? They would have to finish in the bottom 4.

It's not possible.

Are you forgetting Ashcroft, Lombard and a few others exist in this draft?

We have multiple options here.

The other scenario to your option is just waiting until 2025 and likely obtaining a top 2-3 pick for him.

How do you put a price on having LDU in the side for 2025? Even just for the year to give Wardlaw etc another year to develop? We certainly wont be getting a player of LDU's caliber in the door to replace him.

Seems most oppo supporters have afoot in both camps "get more experienced players" but simultaneously want North to let him go for unders for their own self interests.
Yeah surely if ldu leaves it will be via FA and compensation pick

Oh I mean Shiels at GWS, not the crocked one at Bombers so gotta go back a few years.

Shiel probably a bit underrated cos of the mess he has become but at GWS he and LDU are similar. Think the same trade package is about right then, maybe a tiny bit more because North are more reluctant sellers

Yeah but Shiel was surrounded by superstars at gws, LDU is not, and has never been.

All you people that are laying the boot into North right now need to realise they were dismantled today by a tremendous young team on the rise. There are few teams in the AFL who can go toe-to-toe with the Hawthorn juggernaut when they play like they did today.
I have to agree with hawks fans Xtreme and Strapping Young Lad about this post.

AKA the Josh Jenkins syndrome.

Built like a key position player but plays like a flanker.
I would have said the opposite. Plays like a Key forward without much assistance and built like a HFF, apart from his height. Has done pretty well. He plays as a leading forward so I'm not sure where the plays like a flanker comes from. His results aren't too bad as a key forward for a HFF.

AFL should give North 2 or 3 more rookie spots and cap space for the MSD.

They can even preselect two and use their natural pick as well on a 3rd who can be any age.

However the extra picks must be used on mature talent ready to play this season. Tall defenders or forwards and the two preselections cant be under 20 years old.

Provide assistance but not more access to 18 year olds who will take years to develop.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many mid season picks do North have and should they get more ?

I think Greg Clark would be a good pickup for example but they can’t go past a KPP first and foremost so wouldn’t pick him up necessarily
I don’t know where all these KPP players are supposed to come from?

The fringe guys on other AFL lists and state leagues isn’t necessarily a gold mine of players who can step up impact at AFL level.

Burgess one of the best key forwards in the VFL last year is back to plying his trade in the 2’s.

Pink was of the best key defenders in the SANFL last year but has struggled with the step up to AFL and also finds himself in the 2’s.

The main issue we need to fix is getting more out of our players 24+ years old who should be in the primes of their careers. Simpkin, McDonald, Corr, Tucker again all were poor again today.

I’m not sure how we address that issue as high quality players in that age bracket aren’t usually seeking a move to the worst side.

It's hard. Often the underrated fringe players with potential and the list clogger spuds are the same people, just on good days and bad days. It's hard to get enamoured with the idea of chasing the sorts of players that are being pushed out of their current side because they're no good, but at the same time playing kids in the seniors unconditionally is often not always the best for their development. Maybe instead of chasing players on the up like Fisher and Stephens they need to start looking at players on the down who can bring some experience from a successful program with them.

Trading a priority pick + doling out a 4 year deal for Stephens has to one of the most mind numbingly stupid list management decisions in recent memory.

Then I saw that did the same again with Fisher.

Geebus you need to look the trade and remove your bullshit spin.

"In the deal the Swans receive selection 19 in the 2024 NAB AFL Draft and selection 44 in the upcoming 2023 Draft.
In return North Melbourne receive the Swans’ selection 25 in the 2023 Draft and midfielder, Stephens
".

We were forced to trade that pick.

Fisher has landed at the Kangaroos along with Carlton's pick 17 in exchange for picks 21 and 25.

Now regardless of what you think, it isn't as bad as you want all to believe.

"In the deal the Swans receive selection 19 in the 2024 NAB AFL Draft and selection 44 in the upcoming 2023 Draft.
In return North Melbourne receive the Swans’ selection 25 in the 2023 Draft and midfielder, Stephens
".

Fisher has landed at the Kangaroos along with Carlton's pick 17 in exchange for picks 21 and 25.

Why were you forced to trade that pick?

".

Bullshit spin? You had priority picks gifted to you and you wasted them on garbage players, who you then rewarded with long contracts.

Spin that.

Pretty sure that was the condition of receiving it but could be wrong
You weren’t forced to trade. The picks were said to be up for review in 2024. Meaning if the Roos had a massive upswing and didn’t require the assistance anymore then the picks would be taken away.
I’m guessing the club thought the future was gonna get brighter so the traded them while they could.
It was smart from the club as they made sure they got use out of the picks.
But in hindsight it looks like a poor decision.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back