Opinion North Melbourne Priority Picks Part 2 - 2023/2024

Remove this Banner Ad

We got picks back, what part of that are you failing to understand. We had to do something with those picks and I'd love to know what you'd have done.

No, you didn’t have to do anything? Where are you getting that from?

Unlike last season, when the AFL's two picks given to North had to be traded to land experienced players to assist their development, there are no caveats attached to these picks.

They were to be reviewed at seasons end. So the chances were we could lose them. So what would you have done, I'd have traded them.

Not traded them?

You realize if you hadn’t traded them, going 0-23 would have likely meant those picks would have turned into beginning of first round priority picks? Now there’s no chance of that.

Not traded them?

You realize if you hadn’t traded them, going 0-23 would have likely meant those picks would have turned into beginning of first round priority picks? Now there’s no chance of that.
The planning and hope was clearly to be more competitive this year. Potentially could have lost them with zero value gained.

Something's horribly wrong at North. They should not be this bad. They're the most disappointing team this season.
Disappointing?

I've barracked for the club for 45 years, and AFL intervention can't cone quick enough imo...

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

No, it wasn’t.

The North list management team made some very stupid decisions to waste them.
Thanks.
Either way, heck the picks. I'd rather the AFL give us someone with half a brain to manage the list.
No coincidence the one bloke left there looks after it. We were never improving with that back 6.

Thanks.
Either way, * the picks. I'd rather the AFL give us someone with half a brain to manage the list.
No coincidence the one bloke left there looks after it. We were never improving with that back 6.

If I’m North, call me crazy, but I’d split pick 1 into a bag of still decent picks - and offer them around the league for quality leaders/older players.

vAFL needs to take over.

Any more priority picks must be traded for established players with at least 5 years in the system.

What a $hitshow. All self inflicted. It's what you get for shafting and drop kicking all the older players out. No one to show the young kids the ropes.

Monumental disaster. Revolving door of kids wanting to bail out.

If I’m North, call me crazy, but I’d split pick 1 into a bag of still decent picks - and offer them around the league for quality leaders/older players.
We pretty much have to. Without knowing the draft I suspect the consensus pick (that isn't a NGA or father son!) will be a mid.

Happy to trade back for a KPP pick and an established/older player that actually contributes now.

It sounds great in theory but you also need the player to want the move which is why you end up in the position of picking up fringe players like Logue, Tucker, Fisher and Stephens.

It sounds great in theory but you also need the player to want the move which is why you end up in the position of picking up fringe players like Logue, Tucker, Fisher and Stephens.
100%. Clubs should be able to trade players wherever they want.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They should have done this 2 years ago with JHF and should do it this year too.

They need an elite spine and a single player doesnt do that.

They also need to be able to spend 110% of cap to throw bags of money at 2 key defenders.

They should have done this 2 years ago with JHF and should do it this year too.

They need an elite spine and a single player doeant do that.

They also need to be able to spend 110% of cap to throw bags of money at 2 key defenders.

Teams like Richmond are about to enter their own decline. I dare say they’d be prime candidates for a trade up (with some quality older players going the other way).

No, it wasn’t.

The North list management team made some very stupid decisions to waste them.
One of them was traded for a first round pick in last year's draft, we used it to select Riley Hardeman, who debuted today.

The other was used with pick swaps to bring in Dylan Stephens, Zac Fisher and Will Dawson, in other words two mature bodies and a KPD, which is what everyone has been banging on about us needing to recruit.

It's ludicrous to call any pick wasted seven weeks into the first season of what could be very long careers.

One of them was traded for a first round pick in last year's draft, we used it to select Riley Hardeman, who debuted today.

The other was used with pick swaps to bring in Dylan Stephens, Zac Fisher and Will Dawson, in other words two mature bodies and a KPD, which is what everyone has been banging on about us needing to recruit.

It's ludicrous to call any pick wasted seven weeks into the first season of what could be very long careers.

To be clear, not judging the kids at all. I’m judging Fisher and Stephens, who were both very average footballers long before they joined North.

They were to be reviewed at seasons end. So the chances were we could lose them. So what would you have done, I'd have traded them.
What do you reckon they would review at the end of this season? You think in their current predicament they would retract those picks if they were there?

Honestly?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back