Opinion North Melbourne Priority Picks Part 2 - 2023/2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Ignore the Kangaroo 🦘 bashers mate. They don't know what they are talking about.

When North Melbourne wins a flag by the end of this decade, they will all run in fear like the cowards they are LoL
Well I feel this thread and any other North thread is a safe place for Hawk fans especially.

It enables them to deflect elsewhere. 1/6, good job as we darn well say.

Not sure why they are so interested in the fortunes of NMFC.

you know North didn't have to release him from his contract right? that's a voluntary decision, The Tigers didn't severe Pickets, and he's awaiting trial.

at no point does that warrant compensation any more than say Brayshaw/Melbourne
TT dug his own grave and his position was untenable after an 18 week integrity unit suspension.

18 weeks is a massive penalty most likely due to the many chances he was given. So what he did must have been totally unacceptable.

Yet not bad enough to be given the all clear 6 weeks later to play AFL in 2025.

TT dug his own grave and his position was untenable after an 18 week integrity unit suspension.

18 weeks is a massive penalty most likely due to the many chances he was given. So what he did must have been totally unacceptable.

Yet not bad enough to be given the all clear 6 weeks later to play AFL in 2025.
i would be shocked if the afl ticked off a club trying to list thomas next year

Well I feel this thread and any other North thread is a safe place for Hawk fans especially.

It enables them to deflect elsewhere. 1/6, good job as we darn well say.

Not sure why they are so interested in the fortunes of NMFC.

Vanessa Lachey Hawaii GIF by CBS

Geebus you need to look the trade and remove your bullshit spin.

"In the deal the Swans receive selection 19 in the 2024 NAB AFL Draft and selection 44 in the upcoming 2023 Draft.
In return North Melbourne receive the Swans’ selection 25 in the 2023 Draft and midfielder, Stephens
".

We were forced to trade that pick.

Fisher has landed at the Kangaroos along with Carlton's pick 17 in exchange for picks 21 and 25.

Now regardless of what you think, it isn't as bad as you want all to believe.

How were North forced to trade the future 1st priority pick?

They asked the AFL to clarify could they trade the future 2024 PP. It would allow it.

So North cashed out their 2024 PP's.

By choice.

North's problem is they've just chosen midfielders in the draft. Larkey has no help up forward, and they don't have one decent back men, maybe comben. Because all the midfielders are wanting to be the star, there's no two way defensive minded mids, they just run one way forward.

Where's the development of players ? Every player has gone backwards.

I'd trade ldu, they need a backman that's not undersized like logue or corr, and a proper second fwd.

They don't need another first rounder, they'd have the most first round players of any club in the afl now

North's problem is they've just chosen midfielders in the draft. Larkey has no help up forward, and they don't have one decent back men, maybe comben. Because all the midfielders are wanting to be the star, there's no two way defensive minded mids, they just run one way forward.

I'd trade ldu, they need a backman that's not undersized like logue or corr, and a proper second fwd.

They don't need another first rounder, they'd have the most first round players of any club in the afl now
Explain how you would pull that off?

The biggest issue isn't drafting mids, it's the blackhole of players from drafting & development blunders from 2010-2015 that should be in that age bracket leading the group.

The Crows last year are the perfect example of plenty of quality young players but they also had the benefit of Tex, Laird, Dawson, O'Brien, Smith, Sloane, Keays providing great output.

In comparison we have the likes of Corr, McDonald, Tucker, Simpkin, Shiels & Greenwood all over 26 on our list currently. On current form I don't think any of them would be getting a game at any other club.

Trent from Punchy would come up with a better solution than trading our best midfielder.

We could literally overpay the likes of Sam Day and Tom McDonald and keep LDU

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Must be difficult for the coach when the team captain struggles to get more than a few touches each quarter while playing on the ball.

The club should just focus on building a team around a strong young spine in Larkey, Curtis, Powell, LDU, Wardlaw, Ford, Sheezel, etc. I'd like to include Bull as well if he can get himself more consistent.

Let's just cut the s**t, you only need to google the club name & look at what comes up to see what a pack of nancy's are running the show down there. I feel genuinely sorry for the football dept & their thousands of long time supporters.

You weren’t forced to trade. The picks were said to be up for review in 2024. Meaning if the Roos had a massive upswing and didn’t require the assistance anymore then the picks would be taken away.
I’m guessing the club thought the future was gonna get brighter so the traded them while they could.
It was smart from the club as they made sure they got use out of the picks.
But in hindsight it looks like a poor decision.

Yes you're 100% correct, and I'd like to think the majority of clubs would have done the same. I doubt the AFL actually stated what an improved performance looked like.
So the reality is we were damned if we do and damned if we don't.
Imagine the laughter had we lost them due to improving.

But and it's actually important, we got picks back so I'd suggest some folk should do their homework on what the actual trades ended up being.

1714369859006.png

McKercher - for being s**t
Duursma - McKay compo
Goad - Fisher trade
Dawson -Part of JHF trade
Hardeman - Stephens trade.

I believe I got it correct. Happy to be corrected if I got it wrong.

Obviously we won't know for a couple of years how it all turns out. Stephens, I think though we all know now lol. Fisher I'm hopeful more than confident he will provide us with some value.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I realise that McGuire makes more noise than an empty can being kicked down the road but it does feel like he isn't the only one questioning the Kangaroos long-term viability.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/oth...TS&cvid=3c276c95d0324219b7374650629f0797&ei=9

There will be no more draft assistance for them, they have been given to much already, if they get a second boost, the other 17 clubs will go ballistic.

I realise that McGuire makes more noise than an empty can being kicked down the road but it does feel like he isn't the only one questioning the Kangaroos long-term viability.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/oth...TS&cvid=3c276c95d0324219b7374650629f0797&ei=9

There will be no more draft assistance for them, they have been given to much already, if they get a second boost, the other 17 clubs will go ballistic.

They have been given too much already -

Carlton supporter.

CFC -

2002 - stripped of PP for cheating
2003 - PP 2 - Andrew Walker(202 games)
2005 - PP 1 - Marc Murphy(300 games)
2006 - PP 17 - Shaun Hampson(63 games)
2007 - PP 1 - Matthew Kreuzer(189 games)

NMFC -

A few shitty mid 20s picks turned in Logue(good), and Tucker which we had to trade and Stephens, and Fisher lol

But, but, the rules have changed!!111!

They have been given too much already -

Carlton supporter.

CFC -

2002 - stripped of PP for cheating
2003 - PP 2 - Andrew Walker(202 games)
2005 - PP 1 - Marc Murphy(300 games)
2006 - PP 17 - Shaun Hampson(63 games)
2007 - PP 1 - Matthew Kreuzer(189 games)

NMFC -

A few shitty mid 20s picks turned in Logue(good), and Tucker which we had to trade and Stephens, and Fisher lol

But, but, the rules have changed!!111!

Rules should be changed, never ever have agreed with Priority Picks or draft assistance for that matter.

As for your rabble, you made your bed by trading out all of your senior players a few years back and have made a plethora of s**t draft & trade decisions since.

North fans need to stop all this whinging & sooking and face facts, you are in the current position you find yourlf in because of your administrations constant inpet management decisions.

And get ready for a merge or a relocation interstate, your time as a stand alone entity is rapidly coming to an end.

Rules should be changed, never ever have agreed with Priority Picks or draft assistance for that matter.

As for your rabble, you made your bed by trading out all of your senior players a few years back and have made a plethora of s**t draft & trade decisions since.

North fans need to stop all this whinging & sooking and face facts, you are in the current position you find yourlf in because of your administrations constant inpet management decisions.

And get ready for a merge or a relocation interstate, your time as a stand alone entity is rapidly coming to an end.

Cry harder

If I remember correctly, all your problems back then were self-inflicted, too. Let me guess - iT was DifFeRenT!1!

Who are we merging with, brains?

FMD...

heck off

Cry harder

If I remember correctly, all your problems back then were self-inflicted, too. Let me guess - iT was DifFeRenT!1!

Who are we merging with, brains?

FMD...

I'm not the one doing the crying.

I didn't agree with us getting priority picks, we didn't deserve them much like your rabble don't now.

Clubs must be made to stand on their own two feet whilst being accountable for bad management.

Clubs must be made to stand on their own two feet whilst being accountable for bad management.
We do stand on our own two feet. We are debt free. The management that was in charge at the time todays problems were caused have all been sacked or have left.

I'm no expert, but I clearly recall around the time that Clarkson left Hawthorn and was the hottest property on the market and "17 clubs would be derelict in their duty if they didn't seek an interview with him" saying "Why?" Like if Geelong had done the old switcheroo with Scott and Clarkson at the time, that would automatically have made the Cats better?

Despite Clarkson clearly and deservedly being several rungs above Scott on the coaching pantheon at the time and still now, I seriously doubted it. It was worth a punt for North in their position, but better them than us as far as I was concerned. I don't think it's about money for him; I think it's 50% wanting to be the saviour of a club where he played for almost 10 years and 50% wanting to stick it up Mitchell and Hawthorn. And I think the problem there with a legendary coach when they start dropping off the pace of the modern game is that they're probably surrounded by yes-men and they're used to backing their instincts at all times and ultimately being proven right. Like, looking at their coaching staff, if Clarkson's assistants had a different opinion to him, how often would he take their advice on board and change his approach and how often would he back himself in? Clarkson hasn't won a final in nearly a decade, the teams he's coached have regularly been in the bottom third of the ladder over that time, what's the evidence that he hasn't slipped? What's the evidence that he'll ever get his mojo back?

As for bringing in reinforcements, looking at the market, it doesn't appear as simple as "Just get Luke Hodge and bring Birchall with him." Not too many quadruple premiership/triple premiership captain/dual Norm Smith Medallists who are still in their early 30s out there. And you might find a couple of hardened bodies, your Shaun Mannagh types in the state leagues but those recruits are very hit-and-miss: you might find two regular senior players going that route if you're lucky.

Hawkins would be an intriguing one for me, though from North's perspective it would have been better for him to get there for this year. I'm not sure if he'd be interested, but I think this should be his final year at Geelong. He'd probably have 30 goals in him next year. He'd be the perfect complement to Larkey, no problem whatsover with being a supporting act. He seems about as widely respected by his peers and beloved by his teammates as anyone in the league, he'd set the standards on the track and at the club. He's completely selfless.

On paper, I think it would be a great fit. Question marks are: do Geelong want Hawkins to go on in 2025 (unclear but I think it would be a mistake)? Would Hawkins be open to a change of clubs to prolong his career (possibly)? Would it be worth North doing, even if Hawkins only has one year in him (I'd say yes)?

There's other Geelong players who are well into their twilight and with uncertain futures who could possibly help North to strengthen their stocks at either end of the ground: Bews, Rohan, Tuohy and players like that would be worth a look. I think Blicavs still has plenty of footy left in him at Geelong and would be considered a required player. Dylan Grimes hasn't set the world on fire at Richmond this year from what I've seen, would he be worth considering?

I'm not the one doing the crying.

I didn't agree with us getting priority picks, we didn't deserve them much like your rabble don't now.

You must be young if you don’t remember how absolutely garbage you were.

Grow up and stop punching down. North are absolutely fair game for criticism for their on field decisions, but actively wishing the demise of a football club and the sadness for their fans is the lowest form of “fandom”.

Last edited:

There’s one way for North to shut up media types like Mcguire.

Get their CEO and Prez to be really clear with the strategic direction of the club.

They leave themselves open to criticism by not having a plan.

You must be young if you don’t remember how absolutely garbage you were.

Grow up and stop punching down. North are absolutely fair game for criticism for their on field decisions, but actively wishing the demise of a football club and the sadness for their fans is the lowest form of “fandom”.

I must be young ??

I was at the 1968 GF so yes, I am certainly a young'un.

Over the journey, I've seen a hell of a lot of things happen in the footy world but the one constant has been North's inability to function consistently. In fact it's been 'rinse & repeat' cycle for infinity. Hell, they they only won their first flag on the back of the short-lived "10-year rule".

As for taking a shot at their onfield efforts, they are all a result of their rubbish decisions in the "back of house".

I'm not actively wishing their demise, rather, can see them being moved elsewhere to break the cycle of mediocrity they have been operating in for eternity and in turn, give them a huge chance of sustained success.

Right now, what do they actually stand for as a club ?? Apart from the two new additions GWS & GC, their membership tally last year was the lowest in the league. The Kangas were founded in 1869 meaning that after 155 years of operation, they are still crap !!

The AFL have tried to move them to the GC, Sydney & Tassie whilst giving them draft assistance along the way yet here we are again at 'ground zero'. It's time to stop this farce because the other clubs are getting very very sick of it.

Im okay with PP, but they should be end of 1st round only. Like F/S, Academy, and anything else. The first 18 picks should be kept pure.

Something which should have been done a long time ago.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back