News Melbourne to activate both compensation picks

Remove this Banner Ad

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Melbourne appear set to activate only 1 of its 2 compo picks for this years National draft.

Article

The Bulldogs and GWS have confirmed they will be ''activating'' their first-round compensation picks ahead of today's deadline, while sources said the Demons, too, would spend one of the two first-round choices they received for losing Tom Scully to GWS.

EDIT

Update to the above - we have now confirmed we will activate both picks..

Article

Melbourne has activated both selections - a round one and a mid-round one - it received for Tom Scully's defection to the Giants.

Re: Melbourne to activate 1 compensation pick

Melbourne appear set to activate only 1 of its 2 compo picks for this years National draft.

Article

Was always going to be at least one, as Viney will (99% chance anyway) be "picked" by another club, forcing us to use out first rounder.

This way we get him for Half a Scully, as well as our normal first round pick.
I think it mentioned this activated pick was the one which follows immediately after our round 1 allocation, where as we are saving the one which occurs mid round no matter where we finish..

I wonder what the rationale is for not activating both picks, given it's meant to be a great draft, they don't come along all that often.
Would have thought Neeld would like as much talent added to the list as possible whilst he has a chance to coach, and ensure he stays there.
Perhaps they are considering putting the other pick on the trade table, would be worth heaps...?

Other pick on the trade table makes sense to me but I'm sure there are other reasons to hold onto it.

If the other pick was to go on the draft table, surely you'd activate it because it would have more worth this year than in any other year, if it was taken at the same place.
Plus, you'd expect the football dept to expect us to improve over the next few years, not regress.

I'll wait to hear something from the club or the AFL, there doesn't seem to be much behind the article that convinces me they know what we're doing.

Trade option to GWS for one of the two 17 year old picks perhaps?

Seriously, the remaining compo + a player + a second round pick for a #1 or #2 draft pick would be superb.

I really wanted us to have a go at Boak/Dangerfield/Gaff who could step in and add some class from the get go.

Hopefully we will still consider trading this activated pick.

3 players off the list and 3 first rounders coming in... Viney + 2 class midfielders thanks!

3 players off the list and 3 first rounders coming in... Viney + 2 class midfielders thanks!
Our 2nd rounder should also be important in a trade or getting us a useful kid in the draft.

Magner has been promoted to the senior list also.

Confirmed on AFL website that we have activated both, as I suspected.

Interesting to also see that GWS, Geelong, GoldCoast and West Coast have priority picks they have not elected to use.
This pleases me greatly, as it can only improve the picks we hold, and give them greater value if we do choose to trade them.

Now we just need to hope that somehow, some way, no team with an earlier pick bids for Jack Viney so we get him with a 2nd rounder.
Hey, I can dream, can't I?!

Mind you, as said above, that 2nd rounder has some serious value too.
We should be looking to use a minimum of 4 picks in this draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are no more priority picks as we know it, and I doubt any will be awarded this year.

- The Lions pick comes after the end of the 1st round, so doesn't interfere in 1st round calcs.
- The Bulldogs have an after 1st round pick, and I'll assume they finish in the bottom 10 for worst case scenario. Round 3 selection is worth forgetting.
- Richmond has a round 2 selection, also almost negligible.
- GWS after 1st round pick which is dependent on Adelaide's finishing place. Also assume finish in bottom 8.

So it means, that, if we are to do the virtually impossible this year and win the flag, our picks would be at absolute worst
- Mid 1st round pick 13 (11+1+1)
- Finishing place pickpick 20 (18+1+1)
- after 1st round pick 21 (19+1+1)
- 2nd round pick 41 (19+1+18+1+1+1).

So 13, 20, 21 and 41, at worst.
With Jack Viney almost 100% to be used on pick 20.
Not bad.

Now assume we finish 10th, with Adelaide above us in the 8, and the doggies below.
For argument's sake.

- Finishing place pick 9 (8+1)
- after 1st round pick 10 (8+1+1)
- Mid 1st round pick 13 (11+1+1)
- 2nd round pick 31 (8+1+1+18+1+1+1).

So 9,10, 13 and 31.

Jesus.
In the "best draft ever".

IMO we should make a play for Dangerfield. The kid has indicated that he wants to return to Victoria and we have his ex coach which he loves. Happily give up our 1st rounder after Viney.

What's our cap space like?

Would be a nice draft: Viney, Dangerfield and a 1st round selection. Big injection for the future.

This all sounds great, but we've been running this early pick and trades for ages.

We need some improvement from within or we are going ****ing nowhere.

FWIW - our mid first rounder will have to be used for Viney, no?

This all sounds great, but we've been running this early pick and trades for ages.

We need some improvement from within or we are going ****ing nowhere.

FWIW - our mid first rounder will have to be used for Viney, no?

Our standard first pick will almost certainly have to be used on Viney - unless he has a poor year and we finish lower than expected.

But yeh syl I think most of us agree with you that more than one of guys like Bail, Blease, Nicho, Gysberts, Bennell, Watts, Morton, Bate, Strauss, Evans and Jetta need to move way past 'potential' and become 'very good' before we improve significantly.

Mind you, Gaff, Caddy or Danger wouldn't hurt the equation.

But yeh syl I think most of us agree with you that more than one of guys like Bail, Blease, Nicho, Gysberts, Bennell, Watts, Morton, Bate, Strauss, Evans and Jetta need to move way past 'potential' and become 'very good' before we improve significantly.

Not to mention Sylvia, Davey, Gysberts, Martin even Beamer all need to improve.

It's disappointing to think that there's no MFC premiums in DT/SC and hasn't been for years, we need a star or 3.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back