EDFL Div 2 discussion 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Anthony Ricupero, Peter Dispenzeri & Nick Bruno have all signed back on at the Northern Saints
Really good to see. A few clubs are just trying to boast about their current players re-signing which is great but it’s better to see actual proper sign ons!!

Really good to see. A few clubs are just trying to boast about their current players re-signing which is great but it’s better to see actual proper sign ons!!
Sign on's are different to clearances which have not opened yet. A lot of things can transpire during the summer months and what the boys get up to or run into within the next 5 months before round 1.

Totally
Sign on's are different to clearances which have not opened yet. A lot of things can transpire during the summer months and what the boys get up to or run into within the next 5 months before round 1.
Totally get that. But some coaches are bragging about getting players now isn’t helping them. As you said, a lot can transpire between now and then. All that premiership glitters is not gold.

Last edited:

Haddy just signed Trembearth
Quality player
$1k a game and will not train pre season due to premier cricket

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Haddy just signed Trembearth
Quality player
$1k a game and will not train pre season due to premier cricket

Struggle to believe haddy is paying 1k a game for a player
Quality get though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i hear Coburg Districts have poached the Jacana ruckman !! why dont they leave a struggling club players alone so they can continue to rebuild ?

Division 2 has improved and expanded really well over the last decade, East Sunbury, Burnside Heights and Coburg Districts are great examples with good junior and senior programs. New clubs have entered and improved the EDFL like Sunbury Kangaroos and Rupertswood, others are possibly coming like St Albans and Deer Park. I think now is the time for the EDFL Board to make an extremely hard call and reject Jacana's application to participate in 2023. My reasons are many and in no particular order, they only have one side in the whole club, which is against the competition rules. They haven't had netball, junior girls or women's football ever. Jacana unfortunately haven't had junior boys for more than a decade, they cant field reserves or under 18s and haven't won a game since 2017. Jacana are just not competitive, losing by 30 goals plus weekly, the club pulled out early in 2019 forfeiting the year which threw the fixture into chaos. Even in 2022 they missed fielding a team for a week or two with only one side. They very rarely attend league meetings, have little or no supporter or volunteer base, with having no reserves or under 18s it effects competing clubs home revenue greatly when playing Jacana. The EDFL have at the expense of other clubs awarded Jacana extra junior finals and inter-league games over many years now to assist them, some fines and fees have been withdrawn to also help over years. The AFL Vic/EDFL promotions officer spend months annually over many years trying to run local school football camps, assist with club policy, recruiting ideas and budgeting, however it just didn't work. A hard call is needed now, as a get out for the EDFL Board, maybe a final year in senior division thirds.

Last edited:
Division 2 has improved and expanded really well over the last decade, East Sunbury, Burnside Heights and Coburg Districts are great examples with good junior and senior programs. New clubs have entered and improved the EDFL like Sunbury Kangaroos and Rupertswood, others are possibly coming like St Albans and Deer Park. I think now is the time for the EDFL Board to make an extremely hard call and reject Jacana's application to participate in 2023. My reasons are many and in no particular order, they only have one side in the whole club, which is against the competition rules. They haven't had netball, junior girls or women's football ever. Jacana unfortunately haven't had junior boys for more than a decade, they cant field reserves or under 18s and haven't won a game since 2017. Jacana are just not competitive, losing by 30 goals plus weekly, the club pulled out early in 2019 forfeiting the year which threw the fixture into chaos. Even in 2022 they missed fielding a team for a week or two with only one side. They very rarely attend league meetings, have little or no supporter or volunteer base, with having no reserves or under 18s it effects competing clubs home revenue greatly when playing Jacana. The EDFL have at the expense of other clubs awarded Jacana extra junior finals and inter-league games over many years now to assist them, some fines and fees have been withdrawn to also help over years. The AFL Vic/EDFL promotions officer spend months annually over many years trying to run local school football camps, assist with club policy, recruiting ideas and budgeting, however it just didn't work. A hard call is needed now, as a get out for the EDFL Board, maybe a final year in senior division thirds.
Big call valid points thou

Nobody wants to see clubs go through what Jacana are going through at the minute. But you make some points which need to be pulled apart and debated. Div 2 needs healthy clubs and competitive teams, reason why Div 2 was introduced.

Definitely some merit in this.

Perhaps Jacana needs to consider changing leagues. If they went to WRFL Div 3 and competed against Laverton and North Sunshine they may win some games (or even NFNL to play Lalor & Reservoir). This could lead to enthusiasm & growth and they can build up their club.

I agree with you, if they stay in the same division and league it’s just a hamster wheel to nowhere which is not good for anyone. In fact, it could be detrimental to their club and like you said unfair on other clubs.

It doesn't take much for a club to close down these days - KP, East Sunbury & Jacana case in point and usually revolves around decisions being made by committee members at the time. I suppose in Jacana's case -Chris Johnson & the Cloke brothers seemed like good decisions at the time but was always a short term fix and very costly.
We can debate a few of your points BUT if the rumours are correct that KITE & most have the board have departed then that is a great start. Once they realize that there are more clubs in the competition than just KEILOR, STRATHMORE & ABERFELDIE - Then you will make better decisions that will improve the whole landscape of the competition & all divisions. Until then, next season we will continue to talk about the same things and the same teams will play finals each year.

It doesn't take much for a club to close down these days - KP, East Sunbury & Jacana case in point and usually revolves around decisions being made by committee members at the time. I suppose in Jacana's case -Chris Johnson & the Cloke brothers seemed like good decisions at the time but was always a short term fix and very costly.
We can debate a few of your points BUT if the rumours are correct that KITE & most have the board have departed then that is a great start. Once they realize that there are more clubs in the competition than just KEILOR, STRATHMORE & ABERFELDIE - Then you will make better decisions that will improve the whole landscape of the competition & all divisions. Until then, next season we will continue to talk about the same things and the same teams will play finals each year.
Different situation completely in my view, Keilor Park and East Sunbury had a mix of juniors, under 18's, girls and women's programs to fall back on when senior men went into recess for 1 year. Jacana only has one senior team in total, when you need a minimum of two to play EDFL senior mens football. That aside I agree the climate is right for Board change, there are very good people available and willing now, clubs need to get proactive and vote. A big advantage the big 3 you mentioned plus Greenvale with probably Pascoe Vale and Maribyrnong Park have, is stability of Presidents and committee, key ongoing largish sponsors with smart long term operators.

Last edited:
Different situation completely in my view, Keilor Park and East Sunbury had a mix of juniors, under 18's, girls and women's programs to fall back on when senior men went into recess for 1 year. Jacana only has one senior team in total, when you need a minimum of two to play EDFL senior mens football. That aside I agree the climate is right for change, there are very good people available and willing now, clubs need to get proactive and vote. A big advantage the big 3 you mentioned plus Greenvale with probably Pascoe Vale and Maribyrnong Park have, is stability of Presidents and committee, key ongoing largish sponsors with smart long term operators.

Would be heartbreaking to see Jacana finally go but I couldn’t counter any points made, you can’t just be rolling out a senior team that gets hammered every week as the only team representing the club. It’s inevitable unfortunately, and if they push on probably 50/50 to even get through without a forfeit.

I like the idea of a farewell year in the Thirds, give past players and supporters to see them a last time. Also could give committee 12 months to try secure a merger with another club.

Would be heartbreaking to see Jacana finally go but I couldn’t counter any points made, you can’t just be rolling out a senior team that gets hammered every week as the only team representing the club. It’s inevitable unfortunately, and if they push on probably 50/50 to even get through without a forfeit.

I like the idea of a farewell year in the Thirds, give past players and supporters to see them a last time. Also could give committee 12 months to try secure a merger with another club.
Yeah spot on. The sad part about it all is Jacana have one of the best grounds in the EDFL. Terrific playing surface and a great place to play footy. I agree completely, you can’t have a team in a senior competition where you are worried if they will get enough players to play every week. They have tried their best and they need to be applauded for that, but unless they can be competitive, it is only a matter of time.

I did see they appointed their assistant coach as senior coach this year. I don’t know him, but I thought the only chance they have to survive is get an external who can bring 20 players with him.

If they don’t have a reserves team again, the options should be:

1. Play a season in the thirds or reserves competition (no payment to players allowed).

2. Take a year off like East Sunbury to regroup.

Great post and unfortunately i agree, the EDFL cant allow Jacana to only field one senior team in its whole club for another season. I feel so much for the people down there that have worked so hard to keep them afloat for so many years but a senior and reserve side must be an absolute minimum if they are to continue next year. Have always enjoyed going to Jacana over many years to watch and play football has a very different and unique feel to any other ground in the EDFL.

Great points I really like the idea of allow them to compete in the thirds comp, if they can compete for a few seasons in the 3rds and start to get some success ,then hopefully they could build for the future and get back into therein comp .This is done time and time again in the ammos with some success . No one wants to see a side fold completely but it is getting harder and harder with less people willing to roll their selves up get stuck in and see where it leads too

Remove this Banner Ad

Back