Preview Changes vs Brisbane

Is it curtains for Curtin?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I am strongly of the opinion that an inexperienced player who doesn't have a huge impact on the game is better than an experienced player who finds the ball but stuffs up/fumbles/turns it over
As written these both sound pretty useless. Relatively few experienced players stuff up every single time they get the ball though, McHenry notwithstanding. Hell, even McHenry would be pretty good if he got 25 disposals a game, as he's capable of having a positive impact on play. Whereas a young player who doesn't impact the game only has value if they are developing and will start impacting games at some point.

As written these both sound pretty useless. Relatively few experienced players stuff up every single time they get the ball though, McHenry notwithstanding. Hell, even McHenry would be pretty good if he got 25 disposals a game, as he's capable of having a positive impact on play. Whereas a young player who doesn't impact the game only has value if they are developing and will start impacting games at some point.
That mindset is how you end up with van Berlo, MacKay and soon to be Murphy playing 200+ games for the club.

If McHenry got the ball 25 times a game he'd be the worst player in the competition. The fact he doesn't touch it much is a positive

Having his 2 good moments last game didn't make up for the 4 plus bad moments, and never will.
And if he doubled his output so would his bad moments. He's already a net negative so that would only grow

Team unlikely to be drastically changed after the last win.

Curtin almost certain to make way for Smith ;)
At this stage a slightly underdone Schoenberg, or even Murphy, is better than McHenry
McHenry or Curtin to Sub

Berry in the Wilderness i think...

I think Cook just needs to be persisted with, but another game like the one against Port he'll likely be dropped, and i wouldn't mind giving Dowling a go and just shift the magnets around. His game/stats against North look like a different person, they're that much of an outlier.

Gollant is by far the better Medium Forward... they obviously see something in Cook to keep persisting.

If he's primarily playing up forward he's certainly not hitting the scoreboard or applying F50 pressure as much as i'd like, if he's playing on the wing he's not applying that kind of work rate we need.

Himmelberg was serviceable and likely won't be dropped, i think his work rate to get to contests is a bit better than Burgess

First things first, Ned is terrible. Fumbles. Cook has upside. Needs to touch it more though. If we’re going to drop Cook, we’ve also got to look at the gold pass given to Jones.
The problem with Cook is that he doesn't get the ball

The problem with Ned is that he does

Cook is exactly the same at AFL level as he is at SANFL level, struggles to find the ball and goes missing for long periods. At least Ned has usually performed at SANFL level, I remember this board absolutely demanding his selection in his first couple of seasons.

Rory Atkins was a major whipping boy on this board, but had significantly better games at AFL level in his first 4 years as an outside player than what we have seen from Cook so far.
Cook is 17 games into his AFL career. He appears to have upside and we will know more as he gets more games.

I would drop Smith this week. Mc Henry sub and Schoenberg in.

A casual here who is pumped for youse!

I thought Himmelberg was very handy, nothing in highlight reel but his size provided threat and another focus for Port defenders who were outstretched already.

McHenry looked okay and energetic. Only reason why I took notice is that he is the whipping boy on this forum!

Zorko doesn't get the respect he deserves but he's been solid and often their top player. His bursts out of HB drives their attack. Is Keays a good match up?

Hope Soligo matches up with Neale!

Go the Crows!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A casual here who is pumped for youse!

I thought Himmelberg was very handy, nothing in highlight reel but his size provided threat and another focus for Port defenders who were outstretched already.

McHenry looked okay and energetic. Only reason why I took notice is that he is the whipping boy on this forum!

Zorko doesn't get the respect he deserves but he's been solid and often their top player. His bursts out of HB drives their attack. Is Keays a good match up?

Hope Soligo matches up with Neale!

Go the Crows!
You from Norn irnd?...not too many use the youse word in this neck of the woods

If McHenry got the ball 25 times a game he'd be the worst player in the competition. The fact he doesn't touch it much is a positive
This is a dumb exaggeration. McHenry's not a good AFL player but part of the reason he isn't good is because he doesn't get the ball often enough. He also isn't clean enough and fumbles far too often, but it's not true that his average possession is a net negative to the team.

The one time he got 20+ disposals in the last two seasons he got 5 coaches votes and was one of the better players on the field.

This is a dumb exaggeration. McHenry's not a good AFL player but part of the reason he isn't good is because he doesn't get the ball often enough. He also isn't clean enough and fumbles far too often, but it's not true that his average possession is a net negative to the team.

The one time he got 20+ disposals in the last two seasons he got 5 coaches votes and was one of the better players on the field.
Disagree. He's bad because he never takes the ball cleanly, stuffs up simple things and is a poor decision maker. Having more opportunities to make bad decisions won't improve his output, being more useful with his current involvements will.

You from Norn irnd?...not too many use the youse word in this neck of the woods
Norn what?

No mate, I was educated by Jeff Fenech in Western Sydney.

I was at Adelaide for the Gather Round. My first time. Loved your city! I caught a bus and then walked to Alberton Oval. BF sociology taught me that Alberton/Port Adelaide is a place angels fear to tread... It was... gentrified and somewhat boring. Heck your public housing place is better than ours.
(can't understand why some would stencil limestone on otherwise brick homes).

I was surprised at how expensive your coffee and beer was. Trying to compete with Sydney prices?!

Can't understand why the heck you would call middy a schooner though.

Norn what?

No mate, I was educated by Jeff Fenech in Western Sydney.

I was at Adelaide for the Gather Round. My first time. Loved your city! I caught a bus and then walked to Alberton Oval. BF sociology taught me that Alberton/Port Adelaide is a place angels fear to tread... It was... gentrified and somewhat boring. Heck your public housing place is better than ours.
(can't understand why some would stencil limestone on otherwise brick homes).

I was surprised at how expensive your coffee and beer was. Trying to compete with Sydney prices?!

Can't understand why the heck you would call middy a schooner though.
Northern ireland. I had a flatmate when i lived in that part of the world from just north of belfast..good rugby union player and he was the last guy that used that word in written form that i saw😉

We should definitely be sending someone to Harris Andrews. Not a 5’11 mid either (ala Pedlar/Stewart :rolleyes:). Curtin or Cook? Even if they get beaten it frees up Tex/Fog.

Our defence was very good against Poort Pear so we should leave the back 6/7 as it is.

Our inside midfield broke even with a very good Pear midfield, don’t change it.

The two key problems were our high half forwards and outside mids (wingers).

Out - McHenry, Cook

In - Schoenberg, Taylor

Brodie Smith should be moved to the wing or dropped, he is not a great choice as the sub. Schoenberg can play on the wing or as a high half forward, similar story with Zac Taylor.

Unfortunately for Dowling and Berry, they are both inside mid distributors. They are replacements for Crouch and Laird. Murphy will probably come in for Ned but I think there is very little to lose by giving Zac a chance.

Last edited:
It was like 44 of the possible 75 rotations.

Two guys with bad corkies that would in many games world have been subbed out as well.

Could be at our weakest, or this might have ignited our year (which is desperately needed) and our senior players.

The young players have been starved for opportunities over the past few years and will bring loads of energy.

Morris's debut was certainly a fairytale that galvanized energy last night - ran 13k in the reserves game that afternoon, ate MacDonald's and soup just prior to getting to the gabba, didn't bring boots cause didn't expect to play so borrowed ones a size too small and still managed 7k and 1.3 in the three and a half quarters he played.

I think lions fans will be hopefully, but not surprised whatever results we get.
Was a fantastic win.
Hope it does ignite your season after the exhaustion gets the better of you this week of course

Back