Preview Changes vs Nth Melbourne

Predict your Thursday night melt level

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Sando was good with Bailey. Once he lost him he had no idea. Pyke should still be coach. Review should have seen end of Burton but not Pyke. Could have brought in nicks to replace campo. He’d be a good assistant. Not a head coach.
Yeah, I maintain Pyke got Birdbrained.

Pyke was a good strategic coach. Nick has nothing on him.

Can’t agree that he was a better coach. The players mutinied with Sando . He was truly terrible
Sando sucked, but he at least gave youth a go and made a tough call on a senior played. He played Danger in the middle and finally gave Tex a consistent run in 2012 and both showed their worth. Crouch played as soon as he was fit, Laird and Brown also played early on. Heck, even Tim McIntyre got a game! He also phased at Johncock which is what we should be doing with Smith.

It's just a shame he was tactically inept.

We interviewed and passed on 2 very good coaches. Mcrae and kingsley.

Mcrae is also south australian. Won 3 premierships with brisbane. Won a premiership as coach of richmonds vfl side. What's nicks done? Mr I'm good with relationships. No one cares.

The theory I have is that Nicks was not expected to see out his initial contract. We rated others higher but we desperately obsessed about culture and a rebuild. In other words wanted to employ a coach to baby sit and pump games into youth with this culture focus. We didn't want to ruin a good prospective coach by dragging him into perhaps an untenable position.

I suspect that he did what we asked, they saw an upward trajectory so we panicked into re-signing him because he was showing glimpses of turning into a good coach. Which was enough for the happy clappers. PR 101. We signed him onto an extension way to early.

We didn't want to re-sign him in 2023 but his results made it really hard not to going into 2024 and we got cold feet to wait for evidence. The promise of finals was good enough to ignore the issues. So someone pushed to re-sign him on a hunch. Plus the interviewees we rated were both employed at other clubs. So we would have had to conduct a blind search again.

Official changes

In: Crouch, Pedlar, Himmelberg
Out: Berry, Smith, Gollant
The only good thing is Pedlar coming back in (unless our idiot coach makes him sub) who should have been in the team anyway. I don't know how Borlase, Sholl, McSpudry aren't automatic omissions. They are all shithouse. Himmelberg? FMD. Why is he still even on our list? That's equivalent to to throwing s**t at a wall and hoping something wil stick. Nicks is completely cooked. Comical stuff.

Last edited:
The only good thing is Pedlar coming back in (unless our idiot coach makes him sub) who should have been in the team anyway. I don't know how Borlase, Sholl, McSpudry aren't automatic omissions. They are all shithouse. Himmelberg? FMD. Why is he still even on our list? That's equivalent to to throwing s**t at a wall and hoping something wil stick. Nicks is completely cooked. Comical stuff.
not sure about Pedlar - was pretty crappy at AFL level and hasn't lit up the park at SANFL. Should have been a debut so they could be in on an easy kill

not sure about Pedlar - was pretty crappy at AFL level and hasn't lit up the park at SANFL.
I see something there but I dont see it long enough and I think he has been harmed by the yoyo effect where a young player goes out and a young player comes in so everyone can point to the metrics of how young we are

Could you imagine if we dump Nick's and VB gets the role. I think I would give up
Not going to happen. Vb will be out of the club when nicks is sacked and the new coach comes in. They will bring their own team if they are any good. In saying that we will need to make sure Roo, Kelly, Silvers have nothing to do with the appointment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

someone take one for the team and make a gameday thread
I used to start one at 12.01 - now I wait for 1970crow because I know how it hecks with those who have him on ignore

Oh and plus I dont care anymore

The sacking of Sanderson, who was a much better coach than Nicks, was pretty ruthless and that was under the woeful Rob Chapman

I wonder if any part of that mentality is still at the club or whether things have only gotten worse since then

It's hard to use Sanderson as a precedent though as there were a lot of rumours at the time that Sanderson's sacking was more about unprofessional conduct than the on field performances, hence why he wasn't sacked until a few weeks after the season.

Sando was good with Bailey. Once he lost him he had no idea. Pyke should still be coach. Review should have seen end of Burton but not Pyke. Could have brought in nicks to replace campo. He’d be a good assistant. Not a head coach.

I don’t like this view, just because Pyke was a smarter operator when it came to knowing how a club should be organised when compared to Nicks doesn’t mean he should’ve been kept. I think you’re forgetting just how bad Pyke got in the backend of 2019, he was always a closed book that made it all about “inside the four walls” views but he then went ultra conservative and pretty much got to a stage where he’d built an isolated bunker for himself as he’d become so distrustful of everyone off-field & wouldn’t entertain trying to change things on-field.

He started feeling sorry for himself thinking he’d been burned & didn’t have the self-reflecting capabilities at the time to realise his closed minded insular thinking coupled with his gaining-a-business edge anyway possible thinking had caused the majority of the issues.

Pyke just ultimately didn’t have the personal responsibility capabilities or interpersonal skills required to stay at the top of the AFL coaching game and don’t think empathy for players came overly naturally to him, also don’t think he fully recognised at times he was controlling people not robots that couldn’t be just programmed to do a job, I wrote this last year on Pyke’s faults in his operating style which pretty much sums it up;

He was beta when it came to taking responsibility to lead a football club, he was so process driven and saw everything as boxes needing to be ticked, when that wasn’t enough he ended up relying so heavily on others advice on what he should do at the football club to seek improvement and because he hardly had any real conviction or any strong beliefs he agreed to end up heading down the gimmicky path rather then finding a way to find any actual personal and professional improvement in the playing group.

Pyke had strong leadership qualities but the majority of those were built up in the business world not as a leader of an AFL football club especially as a player where he held no leadership title at the Eagles and again was just a role player in his time with that club and that shone through later on when as coach the team started to struggle he had no idea how to turn things around.

Sando sucked, but he at least gave youth a go and made a tough call on a senior played. He played Danger in the middle and finally gave Tex a consistent run in 2012 and both showed their worth. Crouch played as soon as he was fit, Laird and Brown also played early on. Heck, even Tim McIntyre got a game! He also phased at Johncock which is what we should be doing with Smith.

I'm still annoyed with the treatment of Stiffy. Sando burned his career and for what? A lock down defender in Brown.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

He had his favourites and gave some youth a go. The players rebelled against his style because he only really interacted with the AFL team . He got sacked because of player rebellion, not match day tactics ( which I agree were terrible) . To be honest they are both rubbish

Uninspiring ins but I hope Pedlar can bounce back from being completely mishandled by Nicks and co.

Love this kid. Still have faith in him (misguided).

He had his favourites and gave some youth a go. The players rebelled against his style because he only really interacted with the AFL team . He got sacked because of player rebellion, not match day tactics ( which I agree were terrible) . To be honest they are both rubbish
Saying Sando is better than Nicks isn't the same as saying he's good. There is a bit of rose tinted glasses happening around here lately. I do think he'd be way better on team selection though. The youth policy and the fact he was pretty obsessed with physical strength. No way lightweights like Sholl or McHenry get a game under him.

It's just incredible that McHenry wasn't dropped. Listing Smith as "injured" is also pretty charitable.

It's better than last week when they essentially listed Smith as injured and then played him anyway.

Rather than "Smith (injured)", they should have just written "Smith (sorry everyone)" on the out list this week.

Saying Sando is better than Nicks isn't the same as saying he's good. There is a bit of rose tinted glasses happening around here lately. I do think he'd be way better on team selection though. The youth policy and the fact he was pretty obsessed with physical strength. No way lightweights like Sholl or McHenry get a game under him.
We all agree neither are afl standard coaches

Back