Preview Changes vs Nth Melbourne

Predict your Thursday night melt level

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't be so sure.

Firstly, there is no way the club would pass a 1-5 start regardless of injuries and watching the style of play unfold.

Murray is a good FB but he isnt the reason for us losing in the manner we are. Thilthorpe also wouldn't make a difference and the reason is the same as last year, instead of players lowering the eyes and hitting up players on the lead which we have been doing and why we have been so accurate, we will get sucked into bombing it long to Thilthorpe in the square.

So based on this alone, no I don't think he would have a pass.

Will the club move on him?

Yes. The reason is the players, not the fans or the media. Why? I think there were clear examples of senior players taking the game on against Essendon against Nicks style and there were clear frustration well before the umpire incident. We may win this game against North and be 2-5 but we are likely to be 2-8 after round 10. If teams start kicking accurately against us players will openly rebel against the coach because we will be truly out of games by half time. The win against Carlton and the cushy results against Melbourne, Gold Coast and Essendon have been nothing but wall paper over the cracks.

Just because a coach is contracted doesn't make his position untenable.
I think you've made several good points; your logic is sound.
I think the players showed their dissatisfaction with the Nicks defensive, chip-chip slowball against Carlton.

However, I think you've overlooked one crucial thing and it's not just that we're talking about illogical, dysfunctional AFC.

The people who gave Nicks the premature, undeserved, 2-year extension are the same ones who will have to admit they got it wrong, badly wrong, in dismissing him early in which case they'd have to sack Nicks then resign, themselves.

Just because something is absolutely necessary doesn't mean it will happen.
But I'd love it if you're right.

I think you've made several good points; your logic is sound.
I think the players showed their dissatisfaction with the Nicks defensive, chip-chip slowball against Carlton.

However, I think you've overlooked one crucial thing and it's not just that we're talking about illogical, dysfunctional AFC.

The people who gave Nicks the premature, undeserved, 2-year extension are the same ones who will have to admit they got it wrong, badly wrong, in dismissing him early in which case they'd have to sack Nicks then resign, themselves.

Just because something is absolutely necessary doesn't mean it will happen.
But I'd love it if you're right.

Never under estimate the want of the board to save itself by throwing a coach under the bus.

The wall paper over the cracks
  • Gold Coast come back - honourable loss
  • Melbourne come back - honourable loss
  • Carlton win
  • Essendon honourable loss - umpires fault.

But each game has consisted of some truly horrible signs that indicate we really were lucky.

Play a few better clubs who absolutely destroy us and the board will come under some serious pressure.

The earliest Nicks will get sacked is late next year.

They won't do it this year, and no doubt he is getting a bit of a leave pass with Thilthorpe and Murray out.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yep

They'll convince themselves that this was the Hardwick / Thompson bad, nearly sacked year before the steep rise. Just need to stay the course

Forgetting obviously that all the Nicks years have been bad years

Never under estimate the want of the board to save itself by throwing a coach under the bus.

The wall paper over the cracks
  • Gold Coast come back - honourable loss
  • Melbourne come back - honourable loss
  • Carlton win
  • Essendon honourable loss - umpires fault.

But each game has consisted of some truly horrible signs that indicate we really were lucky.

Play a few better clubs who absolutely destroy us and the board will come under some serious pressure.

Our 'Board' is horrible... Its full of lightweights and 'yes sir, three bags full' people.

Un-accountable, faceless, weak, face-saving.

Might give the game a miss, Saturday arvo is prime time for a toddler.

We have everything to lose and nothing to gain from this one.

And can we stop playing in s**t venues? North vs Crows in Tassie? No one asked for that.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oh if we say go 6-17/7-16 this year, you can expect next year bring on Ballarat, Darwin, Geelong (every year) and either Launceston or Hobart.

Nothing surer. Get your Frequent Flyer miles up.

Oh if we say go 6-17/7-16 this year, you can expect next year bring on Ballarat, Darwin, Geelong (every year) and either Launceston or Hobart.

Nothing surer. Get your Frequent Flyer miles up.
Even those towns will say no thanks.

We'll be off to Mogadishu and Port Moresby.

It was tracking nicely (I thought we were a few years ahead of contending for Finals given the massive list cut done end of 2019), don't tell me you weren't bullish on the list at the start of this year until Nicks thought he was a coaching revolutionist and overhaul the entire game plan which no other coaches are playing except for Mitchell who did this in one game and had to apologies for it.
I’ve been bullish about the list..

Just over the way we ignore the form of the draftees and worship the seniors regardless of how s**t they play..

Been like this for a few years now.

Yep

They'll convince themselves that this was the Hardwick / Thompson bad, nearly sacked year before the steep rise. Just need to stay the course

Forgetting obviously that all the Nicks years have been bad years

Our fifth consecutive bad year before the rise, how lucky are we!

The sacking of Sanderson, who was a much better coach than Nicks, was pretty ruthless and that was under the woeful Rob Chapman

I wonder if any part of that mentality is still at the club or whether things have only gotten worse since then

The sacking of Sanderson, who was a much better coach than Nicks, was pretty ruthless and that was under the woeful Rob Chapman

I wonder if any part of that mentality is still at the club or whether things have only gotten worse since then
There was always that talk of dodgy behaviour from Sando. Which let’s face it could be true, as the club is more likely to act on that than a losing coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can’t agree that he was a better coach. The players mutinied with Sando . He was truly terrible

Sando was good with Bailey. Once he lost him he had no idea. Pyke should still be coach. Review should have seen end of Burton but not Pyke. Could have brought in nicks to replace campo. He’d be a good assistant. Not a head coach.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

If they sack Nicks, nobody is going to forget that they are the ones who had backed him in.

But if they dont it only compounds the problem and they look worse.

For all we know, we may win a couple of the games coming up and we start looking good. I doubt it but the board will be praying thats for sure.

Can’t agree that he was a better coach. The players mutinied with Sando . He was truly terrible
Have compared both before they a pretty much the same matey, matey “football friends” old school 90s football clubs values raised focused egomaniacs it’s just Sando was a touch more loose lipped and morally looser.

Sando had better talent and Dean Bailey in 2012, Nicks didn’t have any of that, if Nicks had better talent and a competent senior coaching director he might’ve achieved a bit better but Sando did understand the feel of a game much better as a coach.

Remind us?
A player who was at the club at the time who is still playing at another club let’s call them ‘JL’ has a partner and word of said partner allegedly enhancing some assets spread around the club, the coach at the time took a strange/strong interest in this and it sparked an awkward/uncomfortable relationship with the player involved and fellow teammates.

Back