Preview Changes vs Brisbane

Is it curtains for Curtin?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

One quarter? That is what you're hanging onto? No idea why Cook gets such a gold pass on this board. Hasn't improved in 4 years on the list and we have people defending a 4 disposal game and other single digit game performances. Curtin played 56% of the game and still managed to have a lot more impact in 3 quarters than what Cook did.

People turned on McHenry a lot earlier than this and at least he's put up some decent games at AFL level before 2024.
Because he was treated like shit last year. Put up good numbers and looked good in his only match last year and gets dropped.
It’s a hell of a lot easier to get possession in the back half than the forward half these days.
Gold passes are held with smith (lately), McHenry, jones, Rob and murphy not cook.

Brisbane has injuries galore and we have an additional 3 day break on them.

Really no excuses this week.
Not only the injuries but the fact they played with limited rotations for basically the whole match too
No doubt they'll run all over us then lol

Brisbane has injuries galore and we have an additional 3 day break on them.

Really no excuses this week.
When we're expected to win is when we play our absolute worst.

2 Brisbane players done for the season with ACL's among other injuries. We still cannot underestimate the Lions.

We need to play with the same desperation as we did vs Port. But you get that dreaded feeling after a great win thinking the team will come with that cruise to win mindset and play conservative. This is not going to be an easy game.

I'd keep Curtin in, thought he played well in his first game.

I dont think there is a shadow of a doubt that Murphy will come in for Cook.

I would hope to see Schoenberg come in, make McHenry the sub and Smith back to the SANFL for form.

I feel like McCarthy always bobs up and kicks a few against us, that is definitely the biggest out for them as can focus the attention shutting down Charlie
Redemption time for Max. Last time they played at AO, Max did almost everything right, yet Charlie was still crafty enough to kick a bag. I’m predicting Max turns the tables.

Watched the replay again. McHenry had those two good plays in the first quarter (Tex goal and his own).

He then proceeded to fumble his way through the rest of the game.

How many chances does this guy need to show he can be clean 75% of the time and fumble only 25% rather than the other way around.

Murphy is not the answer either.

Would much prefer a Taylor or Berry in that role.

One quarter? That is what you're hanging onto? No idea why Cook gets such a gold pass on this board. Hasn't improved in 4 years on the list and we have people defending a 4 disposal game and other single digit game performances. Curtin played 56% of the game and still managed to have a lot more impact in 3 quarters than what Cook did.

People turned on McHenry a lot earlier than this and at least he's put up some decent games at AFL level before 2024.
First things first, Ned is terrible. Fumbles. Cook has upside. Needs to touch it more though. If we’re going to drop Cook, we’ve also got to look at the gold pass given to Jones.

Redemption time for Max. Last time they played at AO, Max did almost everything right, yet Charlie was still crafty enough to kick a bag. I’m predicting Max turns the tables.
It's unfair for anyone playing on Charlie though.

He's just... so bloody fast and agile.

I am strongly of the opinion that an inexperienced player who doesn't have a huge impact on the game is better than an experienced player who finds the ball but stuffs up/fumbles/turns it over
Cook is exactly the same at AFL level as he is at SANFL level, struggles to find the ball and goes missing for long periods. At least Ned has usually performed at SANFL level, I remember this board absolutely demanding his selection in his first couple of seasons.

Rory Atkins was a major whipping boy on this board, but had significantly better games at AFL level in his first 4 years as an outside player than what we have seen from Cook so far.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not only the injuries but the fact they played with limited rotations for basically the whole match too
No doubt they'll run all over us then lol

It was like 44 of the possible 75 rotations.

Two guys with bad corkies that would in many games world have been subbed out as well.

Could be at our weakest, or this might have ignited our year (which is desperately needed) and our senior players.

The young players have been starved for opportunities over the past few years and will bring loads of energy.

Morris's debut was certainly a fairytale that galvanized energy last night - ran 13k in the reserves game that afternoon, ate MacDonald's and soup just prior to getting to the gabba, didn't bring boots cause didn't expect to play so borrowed ones a size too small and still managed 7k and 1.3 in the three and a half quarters he played.

I think lions fans will be hopefully, but not surprised whatever results we get.

Watched the replay again. McHenry had those two good plays in the first quarter (Tex goal and his own).

He then proceeded to fumble his way through the rest of the game.

How many chances does this guy need to show he can be clean 75% of the time and fumble only 25% rather than the other way around.

Murphy is not the answer either.

Would much prefer a Taylor or Berry in that role.
He actually hit up Fog nicely off a play on the wing in the 3rd quarter as well. Got the handball back from Fog and fumbled, but the initial kick was well executed. However, I do think we would get more out of an in form Schoenberg in that role atm and hope that is the change they make this week.

Absolutely no to Berry in this role, he's either an inside mid or that is it. People love to point out when Ned fumbles, but Berry is fumbling just as much this season.

It was like 44 of the possible 75 rotations.

Two guys with bad corkies that would in many games world have been subbed out as well.

Could be at our weakest, or this might have ignited our year (which is desperately needed) and our senior players.

The young players have been starved for opportunities over the past few years and will bring loads of energy.

Morris's debut was certainly a fairytale that galvanized energy last night - ran 13k in the reserves game that afternoon, ate MacDonald's and soup just prior to getting to the gabba, didn't bring boots cause didn't expect to play so borrowed ones a size too small and still managed 7k and 1.3 in the three and a half quarters he played.

I think lions fans will be hopefully, but not surprised whatever results we get.
You obviously got a spark from some younger players against the Suns (who were absolutely putrid), but I don't think there is any team that can cover nearly half the best 22 out and compete with the absolute best.

Off the top of my head, these are the best 22 players missing for either the season or extended periods:
Bailey
Coleman
Ah Chee
Starcevich
McCarthy
Answerth
Gardiner
Ashcroft

You obviously got a spark from some younger players against the Suns (who were absolutely putrid), but I don't think there is any team that can cover nearly half the best 22 out and compete with the absolute best.

Off the top of my head, these are the best 22 players missing for either the season or extended periods:
Bailey
Coleman
Ah Chee
Starcevich
McCarthy
Answerth
Gardiner
Ashcroft
By that you mean... us?

No idea why Cook gets such a gold pass on this board.
Because he has ability, class, composure. Can put the ball between the big sticks.

Perhaps our long suffering fans are sick of McFlurry 2-3 grabbing the ball, demanding the ball in stupid positions, stopping and propping and absolutely killing our momentum. Giving away a few braindead free kicks every week. Effort without ability is one thing, but when a large proportion of his touches are net negatives, can't you see why people would prefer someone who is not racking them up but when usually each touch is a positive?

We have ball winners, we don't have a lot of class. Cook has class, lets see if we can get him more of the ball.

Bailey
Coleman
Ah Chee
Starcevich
McCarthy
Answerth
Gardiner
Ashcroft

We've been lucky with injuries for years, but it's just caught up.

Every one of those is top 22. The hardest loses are Coleman who is top 5, McCarthy is our most consistent shot on goal and tag teams with Charlie, Ashcroft is a genuine gun already. Bailey is magic when he is on. Starce is super dependable, Gardiner is the fiercest competitor on the list.

Writing this is depressing as hell.

We are going to learn a lot about our depth this year.

And likely raise our draft position. That's the ultimate isn't it?

Cook is exactly the same at AFL level as he is at SANFL level, struggles to find the ball and goes missing for long periods. At least Ned has usually performed at SANFL level, I remember this board absolutely demanding his selection in his first couple of seasons.

Rory Atkins was a major whipping boy on this board, but had significantly better games at AFL level in his first 4 years as an outside player than what we have seen from Cook so far.

Bit of a myth. He's an outside player and averages 16 disposals and a goal a game at SANFL level in 2023. Five games with 20+ touches and another 4 with multiple goals

I've said for a while that Cook will not ever dominate at SANFL level. He plays wide and outside and isn't used often. Our SANFL side plays down the line football. But he is a very hard runner and frequently goes from deep forward to deep defense, and when he is used he's typically neat with his disposal and effective. The modern wing role.

Nankervis averaged just 3.3 more disposals a game last year in the SANFL and kicked just 1 goal for the season. Cook's form line isn't significantly different

I don't know whether Cook will make it but he deserves a genuine chance at it. Murphy and McHenry have been afforded ridiculous chances so getting more games into Cook shouldn't be a big deal

Because he has ability, class, composure. Can put the ball between the big sticks.

Perhaps our long suffering fans are sick of McFlurry 2-3 grabbing the ball, demanding the ball in stupid positions, stopping and propping and absolutely killing our momentum. Giving away a few braindead free kicks every week. Effort without ability is one thing, but when a large proportion of his touches are net negatives, can't you see why people would prefer someone who is not racking them up but when usually each touch is a positive?

We have ball winners, we don't have a lot of class. Cook has class, lets see if we can get him more of the ball.
What you're saying is we have the choice between Effort without Ability (McHenry), or Ability without Effort (Cook). May I suggest that neither are palatable options?

Back