• 45: Tylar Young

Votes: 13 7.7%
  • 46: Ben Miller

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • 50: Marlion Pickett

Votes: 25 14.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Hahaha… I’m not sure you can possibly believe what you’re writing…. ‘In his last full season (2008)’ …. you failed to mention why his 5th season wasn’t a full one. I’ll help you out … it’s because he was sacked at round 11 with the team 2-9. We went on to finish second bottom.

That is the team Dimma took over, a second bottom team that won 5 game with a percentage of 74%…. not a team that finished half a game outside the 8. On what planet do you rewind a full season to analyse the team a coach is taking over ..??

Hardwick took over a side that had made 2 x finals series in 28-years and won 2 x finals in that same period. Since he took over a second bottom team in 2010 here is the flag count:

Tigers : 3
Hawks: 3
Cats: 2
Swans: 1
Demons: 1
Dogs: 1
Eagles: 1
Pies: 1

Finals wins since Dimma took charge:

Cats: 14
Sydney : 13
Hawks: 12
Pies : 11
Tigers: 10
Eagles: 9
Dogs: 8
GWS: 7
Freo: 6
Adel: 5
Port: 5
Demons: 5
Roos : 4
Lions: 3
Saints: 3
Blues: 2
Gold Coast : 0
Essendon: 0

Now let’s look at where each team above Richmond in finals wins from 2010 were placed the 3 x years (2007-09) prior to Dimma taking over, just to get a feel for the respective status of each club:

Cats: 57 x wins and 2 flags
Sydney: 32 x wins
Hawks: 39 x wins
Pies: 40 x wins
Tigers: 19 x wins
Eagles: 27 x wins
Dogs: 39 x wins

Rewind your mind and imagine in 2010 when the Tigers were 0-9 and a percentage of 48%, being compared to Fitzroy, just 13 years later there’d be 10 x finals wins, 3 x flags and 8 x finals appearances.

So nah …. Dimma wasn’t lucky - he’s a bonafide friggin genius!! Anything disputing that is not backed up by a single piece of objective analysis.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Not to mention the numerous failed rebuilds, toxic losing culture that he has completely turned around. this is his biggest achievement

It's going to be a looooong season without our first round pick

Not too big of an issue if Trent, Dion and Jack don't make the trip to WA. They are also decimated by injury

Edit: If they don't play the eagles at the MCG

Last edited:

Tagging is a thing of the past. 10 years ago when heavyweight commentators like Cornes were at the top of his scragging game, you could just about molest a player and no free kicks were given. Remember Crowley's scratching of Harvey, plenty more examples. The league cracked down on it and we have 4 umpires to catch it. A player only has to tug a jumper or an arm around the contest and it is a free, which is a good thing but makes life very difficult for a tagger.

We will have to go head to head with Melbourne's midfield and shark to Gawn and Grundy in the ruck. Hopefully our mids will be proactive in that respect and right up the clacker of their opponents as opposed to roving to Nank which creates separation from their man. In theory this might make their job a bit easier.
Last week Setterfield completely shut Oliver out if the game in the first half while bombers midfield got on top.
Not too big of an issue if Trent, Dion and Jack don't make the trip to WA. They are also decimated by injury
It's at the G

Yeah I wish we could secure the next JON or Tambling. We've got a team with 9 players who have played less than 25 games. That brings inconsistency and errors under pressure. We also have 2-4 guys as yet untried (Bauer, Brown, Banks and . We have established senior players who are young still (Balta, Bolton, DRioli, Graham, Hopper, Taranto, Baker). We then have Gibcus injured who will be a very good player. Call me optimistic but I don't see the sky falling in.

We will lose Cotch and JR this year and probably Tarrant, followed by Grimes and potentially Dusty the year after. That will free up plenty of cash to bring in some FAs or trades and we keep developing our youth. I'd much rather be where we are in terms of list build than Hawks at this point. One first round pick isn't going to make much of a difference especially when we get our act together over the next 2-3 months and that pick becomes 8-13. If we really want one, we'll trade for it. I'm guessing that we won't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely all of Gawn, Lever, Brown and Hibberd couldn't return???? Need a big game from our midfielders this week and why not try shut down either fattracca or Ginger nuts? Why not give Ralphsmith/ Short a wing and get Pickett or McIntosh a run with role to TRY something different so we're not so fu@kin predictable. PLAN A is shite. What the Fu@k is our Plan B? Cross our fingers and hope their 30 odd touches aren't more effdective than ours? TRY coaching FFS's Hardwick the current gameplan is sh!t and outdated. Teams have our measure surprise them with something out of the box FFS!

We’ve had lots of top-20 picks in the last 20-years:

Tambling
Pattison
Meyer
Polo
Griffiths
Higgins
C Ellis
Lennon
Vickery
Conca
Schulz
Oakley-Nicholls
CCJ
RCD
Dow (pick 21)

The end of our disastrous 2016 we didn’t have a top-pick as we traded #6 for Prestia. We then picked up Bolton and Graham at #29 and #53.

I honestly don’t know why people lose any sleep over this. We’ve given up 12, 19 and a F1 for TT and Hopper. Guaranteed and fully developed quality mids just hitting their peak who have 6-8 x seasons left each.

What are the chances of drafting 2 x midfielders as good as those 2 from picks 12, 19 and F1? Based on our track record the chances are almost zero.

Yeah I wish we could secure the next JON or Tambling. We've got a team with 9 players who have played less than 25 games. That brings inconsistency and errors under pressure. We also have 2-4 guys as yet untried (Bauer, Brown, Banks and . We have established senior players who are young still (Balta, Bolton, DRioli, Graham, Hopper, Taranto, Baker). We then have Gibcus injured who will be a very good player. Call me optimistic but I don't see the sky falling in.

We will lose Cotch and JR this year and probably Tarrant, followed by Grimes and potentially Dusty the year after. That will free up plenty of cash to bring in some FAs or trades and we keep developing our youth. I'd much rather be where we are in terms of list build than Hawks at this point. One first round pick isn't going to make much of a difference especially when we get our act together over the next 2-3 months and that pick becomes 8-13. If we really want one, we'll trade for it. I'm guessing that we won't.

That is something everyone forgets. If the bottom falls out of the club in the next 2 x seasons, there’s nothing stopping us rebuilding then. Some late-20’s aged players may want success elsewhere so we can trade out Rioli, Short, Graham, Baker … or even TT and Hopper - nothing says we are handcuffed into keeping TT and Hopper if our on-field circumstances turn to sh*te.

As if we wouldn’t get a top-20 pick for TT and Hopper if they are still 27-28yo and we pay a bit of their salary… Adam Treloar / Stephenson / Phillips anyone?

Vlastuin looks and acts like he doesnt give a *!!! Publicly said he didnt want the captaincy, always has a s**t eating grin on his face after doing some ill disciplined crap, Im so pissed at his attitude, i would drop him! You see him try and get all game face serious later talking to the players, I'd tell him to get stuffed and worry about his own, he isnt a leaders a-hole!
Well summed up....he really pisses me off....

That is something everyone forgets. If the bottom falls out of the club in the next 2 x seasons, there’s nothing stopping us rebuilding then. Some late-20’s aged players may want success elsewhere so we can trade out Rioli, Short, Graham, Baker … or even TT and Hopper - nothing says we are handcuffed into keeping TT and Hopper if our on-field circumstances turn to sh*te.

As if we wouldn’t get a top-20 pick for TT and Hopper if they are still 27-28yo and we pay a bit of their salary… Adam Treloar / Stephenson / Phillips anyone?

Stop talking sense. Just stop it. What do you think this is?

Hopefully he can fix our shiezen kick ins. Last week we turned the ball over regularly on the second disposal from kick in
We had no-one down the line to kick to sadly - I envy the teams that can play on from the goal square after a point - gain an extra 10 yards - kick it 55 meters to the wing and then either clunk a mark or at least halve the contest to get a stoppage.

So often our long kick in's are marked by the opposition or it is spoiled back towards their goals where half a dozen mid's are awaiting.... :huh:

Bauer a chance to play the Broad role this week? Doesn't sound like he'll be moving back to the forward line any time soon

Jacob Bauer (15 disposals, eight rebound-50s, six marks)

"Had another really good game down back. I thought his aerial power was a real highlight for us, there were a couple of big contests where he didn't take a backwards step on. I think he's going to be a really important part of our backline moving forward."

Out: Cotch, Riewoldt, Vlastuin
In: Bauer, Ross, Banks

Resting Cotch and Riewoldt with the intention of keeping them fit for the games to follow. Give Short another week so he is fully fit. Vlastuin dropped to find some damn form in the VFL.

Two debutants + Ross + the remainder of youngsters can start fighting it out to keep their spot. Who knows, maybe they pull off a miracle.

Round 7 we welcome back Broad and Short, along with Riewoldt, Vlastuin and Cotch (possibly as sub)
Round 8 Graham possibly returns but only if Ross is out of the side, feel we can’t play both.

After that it is really only Nank and Lynch out of the best 22 so unless Soldo is fit and firing before Nank, we stick with the group we have.

Finish round 8 with 3 wins
Then try to find minimum 4 wins between round 9-14
Have a bye
Need to beat at least one of Sydney or Brisbane
Flog west coast
Bring back Lynch and go undefeated and possibly scrape into the 4.

The good news is 3 other finalists from 2022 have also dropped 3 games, 3 have dropped 2 and only Collingwood have dropped 1. St Kilda, Carlton, Essendon and Adelaide all seem likely to drop more than 6 games.
This would be so beautiful. Won't happen but holy hell do I wish

Back