Banks - Baker - Ralphsmith

Campbell - Kosi - Lefau

M. Rioli - Ryan - Mansell

Nank - Bolton - Martin

Graham - Smith - Dow - Sonsie

Sub- Pickett

In: Kosi, Ryan, Smith and Sonsie

Out: Naismith, Hopper, Grimes and McIntosh

With hopper back on Wednesday, it was good to have a genuine midfielder playing. Can’t rely on the young kids to compete for a full game in the middle. I’d like to see Bolton and Martin play more on the ball. Dusty has only attended 3-4 centre bounces per game lately.

I’d like to persist with Banks and Ralphsmith on wings. Give them a string of games there to see if it’ll work.

Our forward like is a mess, with no tall presence we had mansell competing against may and lever which resulted it 14 intercept possessions to Lever alone.

I’m not a fan of Ryan as a forward or Kosi in general but we need height. The risk is the lack of defensive pressure but also the lack of forward nous and positing which can quickly backfire. I’d go with the instruction of getting to as many contests as possible. Surrounded the talls with pressure players like Mansell and Rioli should give us a crumbing option. I’d almost think about resting Campbell and giving Green a go.

Smith to debut, think a game like this at the g would be a good game to debut and he’s earned it.

He's close to the most overrated player on the list.
Unlucky not to win norm smith 2020 (Dusty was a godlike that game), but very out of form, injured or both.
I don’t know why we tend to rush players back - obviously underdone

Don't be fooled by Kosi's 4 goals, they were not really KPF type goals he got out the back a few times when some defenders had lost their positioning and weren't in good places to defend.

Ryan at least is taking contested marks which is more of what we need so if it's one or the other to partner Lefau, Ryan be the much better option.

Yep 7, but his skills were sublime from the start. A beautiful left foot kick but could still kick with his right. No left side at all with Jnr. As evasively good as junior is, his dad was twice as good. South Freo had a freakishly good side back then. Decision making was as good as it gets from Senior. He was the Rolls Royce of centremen.
Best on ground medals in three successive grand finals. 1980. 81, 82. Two of them in losing teams.

I watched a replay of the match yesterday and I've got to say Lefau made some really good leads against Melbourne that were ignored and we decided to just kick it to Dusty instead.
Something the club needs to work on over the next few games.

Was also a massive highlight of his game against the eagles

He’s extremely busy and always trying to create movement and opportunities for himself or the other forwards by creating space

It’s a credit to both Leafu, our coaches and probably players like Lynch who are really helping him develop and it’s showing
Loved how he pushed Max out of the way in ruck contests and also read the throw ins as well as Max - something our rucks struggled to do.

we'd be sitting in the 8 with the scats draw and come home with a wet sail as we get players back

got a cuddle draw by the scats fixture bloke even though they finished above us
So true with regards to their draw. They are getting talked up like nothing else and they have had an extremely favourable first few games and a lot of their harder games are at their s**t hole of a stadium. heck em.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2019 PF: 2 kicks. No goals. 1 x GA. 2 x SI’s … equal bottom with Soldo and Astbury.

2020 PF: 5 kicks. No goals. No GA. 2 x SI.

He was brilliant in the 2017PF. Basically unsighted in 2019 and 2020 PF.

In fact, take out the 2019 GF procession, across the 6 other finals in 2019 and 2020 he kicked 5 goals and had 1 x goal assist. That’s as bad as it gets for a small forward.

He was absolutely cooked as a small forward long before he was removed from that position.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Funny how we like to forget how the small forwards played a selfless role that basically built the system which brought us 3 flags.

Rioli is fast. Slick. Great skills & good goal sense & reads the play incredibly well.

Instead of pulling stats out from his "disappointing" parts in our 3 flag era. How about I tell me what exactly about his current would make him a poor forward.

You don't win 3 flags as a fwd if you were always s**t in that role. Something changed. What actually about the way he plays makes u think this 3 time premiership forward would be a s**t forward?

tony leonard said aints have a worse injury list than us and roco said carltoon have a worse injury list than us 🤣🤣🤣 what are these campaigners smoking
Who Cares GIF by Judge Judy

Dan Rioli's reinvention as a HBF has been impressive. Quick, has good foot skills.

I hoped George might've been turned into winger or something. His goal kicking bad at the best of times torturous by the end.

Butler continued on good goal kicking after he left.

Mansell, MRJ are locks it seems. Campbell has had a great start..see how he goes
I think you answered your own question here.

Under Hardwick we had a fleet of small forward that he built a winning formula around & was the marvel of the AFL World. D.Rioli. Castagna, Caddy. Townsend. Butler. Stengle. Higgins. Stack. Aarts.

3 of them left still in at their peak age. And of that entire lot, only those 3 are still considered "good forwards.

Stengle. Higgins. Butler.

Funny that.

Maybe its time for us to re-try the only remaining piece we have left from that group in the forward line. As other teams have shown, sometimes a change of scenery can bring the best out of you.

Its so obvious i don't even know why i waste my time talking to some of you. You all literally spend hundreds of hours talking about nothing but Richmond here, literally for decades - yet, somehow, totally forget that actual "hows & whys" of how we got "here".

The fact Stengle, Higgins & Butler were considered the "weakest" of our forward options, tells you just how good Dan Rioli was and could still be as a forward. Can't believe we are even discussing Dan Rioli's potential as a forward after 3 flags. its idiotic.

Dan's success as a HBF has more to do with his success as a forward, than him being a natural HBF. He is a elite team player who follows the orders from the coach exactly as described. He does the role he is asked to play, for the benefit of his team, always. The entire forward group died under Dimma's last few years due to a lack of creativity & courage by Dimma and the MC. I am positive that if Dan was asked to go back forward, he would be excellent, as he is excellent at doing the role his coach needs him to do. Its his biggest strength, without question.

Last edited:
Won 3 flags in that role..... impacted plenty of Prelim's in that role. But yes, he has been a good Round 15 HBF too.

Very short memories indeed
He was good in the role then, but then what happened after that? The last couple years in the role his impact lessened until he was dropped. Hes peak at the half back has been better than it ever was as a small forward.

Very selected memories indeed.

Out: Naismith, Mansell, McIntosh, Campbell, Hopper
In: Ryan, Cumbo, Sonsie, Mcauliffe, Coulthard/ Green.

Naismith was lazy and pathetic at his age and where his career is at he should've played desperately and been applauded for cracking in showing what a guy clinging to a dream and career in AFL looks like, instead he just plodded. Time to put games into Ryan to see if he's got some future and relegate Naismith to injury depth only. Mansell has stagnated as has Campbell, make Campbell go back and issue him the challenge to dominate at magoos with emphasis on kicking goals.

McIntosh time to put him out to paddock and get games into kids. I wanna see Cumbo get 6 or 7 games to prove his worth same as all the other medium/ small forwards have been given and watch the goals start to flow. Green and Coulthard both deserve opportunities don't care who gets 1st crack and not going to favour Coulthard just because he kicked 3 last week. Mcaulliffe and Sonsie are part of our future engine room need to fast track them to 50 games. Keep playing Graham so as to fatten the pig for market and get Pickett qualified for F/S's hell get him to tag Fyfe would be a great match up.

The club needs to ride the kids now. Reading the forum here a bit and seeing the supporters, finally, accept that our time to rebuild - take the gift of an understanding Richmond fan-base and rebuild now. Get a top 2-3 pick and let these kids develop.

Our young group are quite frankly, underwhelming. Gibcus & Clarke were 2 that showed the most amount of "it" factor & they are now both recovering from awful injuries. Sonsie, MRJ, Campbell make up the next tier while, sadly, after that Dow, Ross, Young, Green, Fawcett, Mansell, Miller, Lefau, Bauer, Banks Cumberland, Ryan, Trezise, Brown, McAuliffe, Coulthard, Kosi, Ralph-smith, - if even 1 of these guys can become a 200 game player for the club, i would be very very surprised. If 3 of them did, that would be a tremendous result. The sad reality is, our next "contending" team is likely 200 games, if not more, away.

We are miles, miles behind. With Tassie & all the Academy s**t - we are well behind the 8-ball. We need to "do a West Coast" and take 2 or even 3 years of a top 3 pick and work our butts off. Look at WC now, might go from a joke to 3 wins in a row all cause they hit with Harley.

I have had quite a few interesting times with you lot here.... many supporters failing to accept where we are at. But, i must say its been pleasing to see so many of the supporters being mature & accepting the results and what is required. Its a sign that as a club & the supporters are a massive part of that, we have gotten "better". The club has made a lot of mistakes since 2020. Accept them & now, move on the right way. If the supporters support the club, we will be fine

Last edited:
Back