• J. Graham

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • S. Campbell

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • K. McIntosh (sub)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

People s**t on Caro, but she is legit one of the best at her job in this shitlist of AFL media heads. She is smart, balanced and rarely says things to be a attention seeker. She is spot on. Since 2020 we have been a shitshow. I said it & people didn't like it, but whatever. We are all in this s**t together now. I agree that its time for us to just be proud of what we achieved, accept we made mistakes & all get behind the club in rebuilding "the hard way". We are an awesome club. We were weak for 30 years, got strong, and flew a bit too close to the sun - but we are still here & we will be back

He was good in the role then, but then what happened after that? The last couple years in the role his impact lessened until he was dropped. Hes peak at the half back has been better than it ever was as a small forward.

Very selected memories indeed.

What happened after that? The gameplan got worked out and Dimma refused to change. He ruined all of the small forwards & traded out the rest for fair floss as he was such a generous fella. Thats the thing with Dimma, he is incredivly generous when he is dealing with someone elses money/assets. How little we traded Butler for is still a joke.

The best small Forwards Richmond recruited in the last 10 years still playing are Butler, Higgins & Stengle. Thats not a coincidence. FFS - -do we remember watching Dimma ruin Castagna, Aarts & Rioli anymore, or has trauma blocked it out for you all?

It's mental how much people have forgotten how the structure was the problem, not the players. It was an impossible task being a small forward between 2021-23. It was a utter joke. Dimma legit ruined Castagna's career.

Even for the small stints Dan went back down forward last year, he was deadly. Kicked goals, assisted others. They were playing him 60/40 back/fwd at times under mini and he looked damaging as f when he did

People s**t on Caro, but she is legit one of the best at her job in this shitlist of AFL media heads. She is smart, balanced and rarely says things to be a attention seeker. She is spot on. Since 2020 we have been a shitshow. I said it & people didn't like it, but whatever. We are all in this s**t together now. I agree that its time for us to just be proud of what we achieved, accept we made mistakes & all get behind the club in rebuilding "the hard way". We are an awesome club. We were weak for 30 years, got strong, and flew a bit too close to the sun - but we are still here & we will be back
So you are saying she's the cream of the crap....

Yeah but your list rebuild maybe different to how I see our list rebuild as an example. We all agree a list rebuild is required, where we disagree is how far back do we strip the list.
I'm prepared to keep a few younger fringe players on our list because I don't think we have given them enough senior experience, I also think we need to keep a good core of senior players mid 20's, late 20's and even a couple of 30 year old players.

Also moving a few old players on we may also disagree what value you see compared to me, I personally think we won't get much at all for our over 30 yo players.

IMO you still need senior players to help develop the young guys, we also need to maximise our picks that we have and try to upgrade as much as possible.

I’m not a fan of Ryan as a forward or Kosi in general but we need height. The risk is the lack of defensive pressure but also the lack of forward nous and positing which can quickly backfire. I’d go with the instruction of getting to as many contests as possible.

I agree that we might not have a choice. But the biggest risk for me is that they dont really impact games at AFL level and can leave you a player short.

Yeah but your list rebuild maybe different to how I see our list rebuild as an example. We all agree a list rebuild is required, where we disagree is how far back do we strip the list.
I'm prepared to keep a few younger fringe players on our list because I don't think we have given them enough senior experience, I also think we need to keep a good core of senior players mid 20's, late 20's and even a couple of 30 year old players.

Also moving a few old players on we may also disagree what value you see compared to me, I personally think we won't get much at all for our over 30 yo players.

IMO you still need senior players to help develop the young guys, we also need to maximise our picks that we have and try to upgrade as much as possible.

I agree with most of that. I did a post in another thread today where i went into more detail how i would do it & its somewhat in line with you. I would continue to keep older players on the list IF they are willing to accept contracts that reflect their decline.

There is a few ways you can go about it. We could move on Pickett. Grimes. Prestia. Kmac. NaiSmith. Graham & then with the money we save in contracts from them poach unrestricted free agents who "might" work out, or can fill the mature age role you are suggesting, while also trying some new looks etc. With so much of our team declining at once, there is little "cohesiveness" left to retain. We could almost move on from all our Out of Contract older players & replace them with slightly younger options on the unrestricted list and just take a punt that 1 or 2 of them might work out ok. The more spots we open up for types like that, the more chance we might get lucky and end up with a Houli, Grigg etc.

Honestly, i would probably do this. I don't think there is much point left in retaining some of these guys. If it fails, you still get your awesome picks and it cost you no trade capital. If it works, you might end up with a few new pieces that you didn't expect to have

What happened after that? The gameplan got worked out and Dimma refused to change. He ruined all of the small forwards & traded out the rest for fair floss as he was such a generous fella. Thats the thing with Dimma, he is incredivly generous when he is dealing with someone elses money/assets. How little we traded Butler for is still a joke.

The best small Forwards Richmond recruited in the last 10 years still playing are Butler, Higgins & Stengle. Thats not a coincidence. FFS - -do we remember watching Dimma ruin Castagna, Aarts & Rioli anymore, or has trauma blocked it out for you all?

It's mental how much people have forgotten how the structure was the problem, not the players. It was an impossible task being a small forward between 2021-23. It was a utter joke. Dimma legit ruined Castagna's career.

Even for the small stints Dan went back down forward last year, he was deadly. Kicked goals, assisted others. They were playing him 60/40 back/fwd at times under mini and he looked damaging as f when he did

Castagna was always trash, but he had a pressure role which gave him a spot in the team and 3 flags despite his horrific skillset. Let’s not bring up George when discussing ‘what might’ve been’ (we all remember him running into an open goal to seal the game v GC and it getting smothered… the ‘Noah Anderson’ game … our club’s mental state in close games has never recovered from that game).

Or Aarts playing on from directly in front, 30m out with just a few seconds on the clock and costing us another close game that same season. It’s actually surprising Dimma didn’t poison both of their gatorades for what they put him and us supporters through … more than ANY other players they cost us top-4 in 2022 through their incompetence and a potential flag. So it’s absolutely laughable you ‘blame’ Dimma and not those two complete muppets for their demise. (note: I thank George for his service and sacrificial role … but let’s not re-write history - name me a less talented player in the history of the game to play in multiple flags?)

And here are Rioli’s stats under Dimma and under Mini:

2022 under Dimma:

Disposals: 20.5
Goals: 10
Goal Assists : 11
Inside 50’s: 2.8

2023 under Dimma:
Goals = 1 goal (10 games)
Goal Assists = 4
Inside 50’s = 2.5/ game

2023 under Mini:
Goals = 3 goals (13 games)
GA’s = 6
Inside 50’s = 1.6/game

So there’s nothing to suggest any sort of goal scoring / assisting increase under Mini at all. And there was actually a significant drop in Inside-50’s under Mini.

So it’s fanciful to suggest there was any sort of 60/40 back/fwd split under Mini. It just didn’t happen.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Castagna was always trash, but he had a pressure role which gave him a spot in the team and 3 flags despite his horrific skillset. Let’s not bring up George when discussing ‘what might’ve been’ (we all remember him running into an open goal to seal the game v GC and it getting smothered… the ‘Noah Anderson’ game … our club’s mental state in close games has never recovered from that game).

Or Aarts playing on from directly in front, 30m out with just a few seconds on the clock and costing us another close game that same season. It’s actually surprising Dimma didn’t poison both of their gatorades for what they put him and us supporters through … more than ANY other players they cost us top-4 in 2022 through their incompetence and a potential flag. So it’s absolutely laughable you ‘blame’ Dimma and not those two complete muppets for their demise. (note: I thank George for his service and sacrificial role … but let’s not re-write history - name me a less talented player in the history of the game to play in multiple flags?)

2022 under Dimma:

2023 under Dimma:
Goal Assists = 4
Inside 50’s = 2.5/ game

2023 under Mini:
GA’s = 6
Inside 50’s = 1.6/game

So there’s nothing to suggest any sort of goal scoring / assisting increase under Mini at all. And there was actually a significant drop in Inside-50’s under Mini.

So it’s fanciful to suggest there was any sort of 60/40 back/fwd split under Mini. It just didn’t happen.

That is rubbish.

“He was one of the greatest role players, if not the greatest role player that our football club has ever seen.”​

Damian Hardwick

FFS, we watched that forward line destroy teams with their pressure for 5 years. Castagna was not trash. He played 134 games, kicked 127 goals & laid 350 tackles, almost entirely I50, He won 3 flags. GTFOutta here

That forward line did the role they were told to do from the start to the end. The difference in their success was "the role".

Jason was never cut. He retired because he fell out of love in the game cos of campaignery supporters like you who started calling him trash.

Dimma pretty much confirmed he did wrong by him

Yeah, she's right but also blames it on Dim Sim leaving which doesn't make sense as he was still there from 20 to 23 and the mess is his and mates' doings. Yze is in a no-win situation as a non-first-team experienced coach to make a difference while the whole structure of the club is going back before the 2010 days. It is just a shame to watch what we build go to waste as you see Geelong sitting on top. Don't get me wrong if someone said you want 3 premierships before we go back to being the laughing stock I would have jumped.

Yeah, she's right but also blames it on Dim Sim leaving which doesn't make sense as he was still there from 20 to 23 and the mess is his and mates' doings. Yze is in a no-win situation as a non-first-team experienced coach to make a difference while the whole structure of the club is going back before the 2010 days. It is just a shame to watch what we build go to waste as you see Geelong sitting on top. Don't get me wrong if someone said you want 3 premierships before we go back to being the laughing stock I would have jumped.

To be accurate, she blames it on Dimma having an affair.

Then a few months before Dimma quit, she called for a succession plan be put in place around him as she could see " something is not right" (once again, he was seeing someone else behind their back - the gold coast )

She is also the only AFL media person to actually mention how totally ******* shafted we were with our fixture

She knows her s**t, i respect her. Being a woman in a footy community like that one would require a tough ass smart woman & Caro is clearly that.

To be accurate, she blames it on Dimma having an affair.

Then a few months before Dimma quit, she called for a succession plan be put in place around him as she could see " something is not right" (once again, he was seeing someone else behind their back - the gold coast )

She is also the only AFL media person to actually mention how totally ******* shafted we were with our fixture

She knows her s**t, i respect her. Being a woman in a footy community like that one would require a tough ass smart woman & Caro is clearly that.
She might know her crap and I really like her but saying it all went downhill hill since he left while he was still there doesn't make sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

She might know her crap and I really like her but saying it all went downhill hill since he left while he was still there doesn't make sense.

Its hard for me to comment on that as i have NFI what your referring to. Didn't hear the comment she made

I mean, in March 26th re the article i posted above, she said its "not all doom and gloom" & that we were "shafted" via the fixture?

Its hard for me to comment on that as i have NFI what your referring to. Didn't hear the comment she made

I mean, in March 26th re the article i posted above, she said its "not all doom and gloom" & that we were "shafted" via the fixture?
You linked it.

Caroline Wilson says Richmond’s list management decisions have left a lot to be desired since their premiership in 2020.

The Tigers are struggling with an injury crisis in Adem Yze’s first season as coach, with Jacob Hopper’s hamstring injury only adding to their problems.

Caro believes the direction of the club has shifted dramatically since the shock departure of Damien Hardwick as coach during the 2023 season.
She blames our choices since 2020 who was in charge to 23 when he left. Also, we aren't struggling just this year with injuries are we? the seasons before weren't much chop since the end 2019 when we started losing our fitness stuff to pay dim weed.

2022 under Dimma:

2023 under Dimma:
Goal Assists = 4
Inside 50’s = 2.5/ game

2023 under Mini:
GA’s = 6
Inside 50’s = 1.6/game

Castanga was always first. Probably the best skill you could want in AFL. And brave and aggressive in the air. He had a lot going for him.

Castanga was always first. Probably the best skill you could want in AFL. And brave and aggressive in the air. He had a lot going for him.
Castagna took the second most marks inside 50 in 2017 behind Jack (from memory). He was good in the air, and his great pace caused a lot of trouble for sides. After Lynch came he had to work further and further up the ground until his confidence completely deserted itself. With a low skill set, without confidence you are gone.

Dimma turned him into a 'role player' because he kept playing him after the confidence left, when he should have gone back to the VFL and got some touch back, which meant he got worse and worse until he became a 'guarding space forward'. People forget the good Castagna and remember the poor one.

Last edited:
Being good at a role doesn't mean you're good at it forever. Things can change. If you're going to blame Dimma for ruining him then surely you should be giving him credit for creating them too, right? Weird how he only gets blame for the bad and not praise for the good.

Butler was playing in our 2nds and we draft him at pick #67. We couldn't demand much more than we did and at the point if you do, you're just being a dick and holding back guy that helped you win a flag. We let him go easily, but that was a kind gesture for Butler, not the Saints.

And? You're just listing names. Do you want to actually make a point here or just continue to list players with absolutely no context? You sure write a lot without saying anything.

Butler helped us win a flag, got out form and then got traded for more opprunnity. Suppoter base was not upset when this happened for a reason. Do you actually think this was the wrong choice at the time?

Higgins joined us after we won a flag and still played 20 games his first year, then played 13 and 10 in the next 2 with a little bit of brain surgery in the middle. We gave him plenty of opportunities and unfortunately he wanted to go, not much you can do there. Do you think we ****ed up here?

Stengle was just poor timing. He was drafted the end of 2016 and had a small forward line that was locked in for his first year and then we drafted Higgins. We had too many options at the time that we didn't have space for him. And clearly shown at the Crows, he wasn't mature enough and wasn't until a drug scandal, delisting and 5 years before he was.

Actually the supporters ruined his career. The absolute abuse he copped from some 'supporters' got him to retire in the end.

He was never playing a small forward role last year. He played as a half forward which is a very different role.

How many genuinely good small forward are there that have careers where they are consistently good for the entirety? There are very very few that are actually elite every year and so many that popup for a couple years of elite footy before disappearing again. It's a hard role to play and ridiculous that you think Dimma ruined them.

You and so many other on this board have so little footy knowledge and critical thinking that all you can actually do is blame the coach. Never actually look at reasons why something has happened, just blame the head coach. It's the most lazy and basic analysis you can do and says absolutely nothing.

This week, God I hope Sonsie is in the midfield. We need someone with Class on the outside and he can be the one that switches with Bolton in forward line.

The midfield mix we had when Hopper was playing was rather good but we looked even better when our two inside mids had a classy outside player to dish the ball off to for them to clear the contest.

She's certainly changed her tune and has been banging on for ages that we've been OK with our list management.

HRS started this play very well by running back and spoiling Billings... Couple of "gives" in this one haha, one for both sides... Young and Baker very good, Seth's HB was perfect to JGTI, JGTI kicked into I50 to just over Mansell's man leaving Mansell to punch it and he re-gathered it well, then Lefau does the pefectly timed side-step and finishes the play with a goal on his non-preferred... beautiful stuff.

Love a coast-to-coast goal... DRioli with the large kick down the guts (almost) and Lefau nicely tapped it down and Seth tackled McDonald very well to get the "throw" and Hopper perfectly passed it (he had already pulled up on his hammy at this point, so fair play to him) out to Bolton who quickly gets it I50 to MRJ who finishes nicely with the pressure after playing on.

Grimes brilliantly intercepts this Billings handball and then sweetly avoids Petracca and gives it to the running JGTI and Daniel running through there pinpoints the pass to KMac and KMac similarly pinpoints the kick to Lefau's advantage in a 2on1 situation and he takes the nice contested mark and goes I50 quickly which saw both May & Lever air-swing at the ball; HRS did very well to get possession under pressure and handball over his head to Dusty and Dusty as usual, even on his non-preferred, gets it to Dow smartly; shame he hit the post... great team play

Good pressure from Crayfish allowed Broad to come from a long way back to spoil Sparrow and his follow-up attack on the loose footy and beating of the Viney tackle was excellent; KMac with another excellent kick pinpointing the pass to Bolton who of course with the tougher wide shot finishes well.

Back