VFL Round 5 v Casey ANZAC Eve Punt Road Oval 2.05pm LIVE STREAM

Remove this Banner Ad

A Key Forward who has kicked 7 goals from 7 VFL matches is hardly going to be considered for MSD
You are probably right, most likely hasn’t done enough at this stage, but you look around the country at state leagues and there’s nobody really carving it up.
So depending on how many picks we take into the msd, we might use one on a raw kpf. Ok it’s a long shot but this is the msd we are talking about, 6 month contract

You are probably right, most likely hasn’t done enough at this stage, but you look around the country at state leagues and there’s nobody really carving it up.
So depending on how many picks we take into the msd, we might use one on a raw kpf. Ok it’s a long shot but this is the msd we are talking about, 6 month contract
I would suggest providing him the opportunity to train for an SSP spot over the summer would be more in line with where he is at

Kosi, Mykelti, Bauer are all still learning to be forwards ... what we need is an experienced natural forward about 26-27 years of age to make it easier for these guys to take the next step.

I would suggest providing him the opportunity to train for an SSP spot over the summer would be more in line with where he is at

Kosi, Mykelti, Bauer are all still learning to be forwards ... what we need is an experienced natural forward about 26-27 years of age to make it easier for these guys to take the next step.
, I haven’t watched enough State league ( apart from our VFL team), to know if there’s a mature player out there good enough.
I get what you’re saying re experience, but you’ve got to take into account these players have been overlooked in multiple drafts. Maybe there’s some improvement at 26-27 but probably not a lot. Then you have the young talls that are still developing and potentially have plenty more improvement.
It’s a bit hit and miss trying to identify the right one, but imo it’s worth a punt. Particularly seeing we have a couple of picks.

The kid kicked 5 from 4 starts this year and had limited game time in first two matches. Still building a body of work.

The kid kicked 5 from 4 starts this year and had limited game time in first two matches. Still building a body of work.
As I said to growapair, he most likely hasn’t done enough to warrant it.

Morris has been very glowing in his match reports, noting his improved work rate, contested marking and kicking. Of the opinion that a big bag is just around the corner. And yes the match reports are overly positive!!

Anyway, it’s going to be an interesting watch for the remainder of the season re May. If he does suddenly start turning potential into consistent output, he’ll be on plenty of clubs radars.
Plenty of clubs willing to take a chance on 200cm kpf

, I haven’t watched enough State league ( apart from our VFL team), to know if there’s a mature player out there good enough.
I get what you’re saying re experience, but you’ve got to take into account these players have been overlooked in multiple drafts. Maybe there’s some improvement at 26-27 but probably not a lot. Then you have the young talls that are still developing and potentially have plenty more improvement.
It’s a bit hit and miss trying to identify the right one, but imo it’s worth a punt. Particularly seeing we have a couple of picks.
Aaron Edwards 100 goals for Frankston Dolphins and Sam Lloyd (Dolphins too) are both medium forwards that got selected out of the State League ... while they didn't feature in our premiership sides they were instrumental in providing structure and getting the finals experience necessary for the young players in years previous ... in a forward line bereft of forwards Glenelg's Lachlan Hosie is a premiership player (kicking 6) and Farmer medalist (leading SANFL goal kicker). Same age as when we took Pickett he stands 189cm

Morris has been very glowing in his match reports, noting his improved work rate, contested marking and kicking. Of the opinion that a big bag is just around the corner. And yes the match reports are overly positive!!

Anyway, it’s going to be an interesting watch for the remainder of the season re May. If he does suddenly start turning potential into consistent output, he’ll be on plenty of clubs radars.
You're right Charlie. These big lads do take a while to develop. The challenge for clubs this year is that there is apparently a dearth of top-end KP talent in the November draft, so do clubs get more active in the MSD?

You're right Charlie. These big lads do take a while to develop. The challenge for clubs this year is that there is apparently a dearth of top-end KP talent in the November draft, so do clubs get more active in the MSD?
Hey mate, what's your connection to Archie? You are always very protective of him and way back when I mentioned him as one to watch you were the first to agree? Any connection or just a fan?

Hey mate, what's your connection to Archie? You are always very protective of him and way back when I mentioned him as one to watch you were the first to agree? Any connection or just a fan?
I have been watching the games this year and seen the progression of the VFL boys including Archie. Every boy brought into the team this year has contributed and bought into the system and culture which is great.
I am loving the progression of our VFL boys and would naturally like to see them go onto our main list, as biased as that is.

I'd take Archie and give him 18 months. We're rebuilding so the more young talent we can get in the better. He may not have what it takes but what if he does and he slips out of our grasp like Durham and Soligo did. This is a free swing and costs us a rookie spot for 18 months which is better than having a bloke like Colina just taking up a spot and not playing for 18 months

I'd take Archie and give him 18 months. We're rebuilding so the more young talent we can get in the better. He may not have what it takes but what if he does and he slips out of our grasp like Durham and Soligo did. This is a free swing and costs us a rookie spot for 18 months which is better than having a bloke like Colina just taking up a spot and not playing for 18 months
THIS!

Its an investment in potential 1-2 years from now.

THIS!

Its an investment in potential 1-2 years from now.
Get him in the system now. Finish the season training in a full time environment have a break then comes in for a full pre-season. Spends 2025 in the system again, maybe cracks a game along the way. If Lynch retires end of 2025 we've got a 22 year old ready to step in if all goes well. Allows us to focus on building up the midfield this year in what seems to be a strong midfielders group with not much KPP depth

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Prob not a bad tactic for this years MSD. We’ll have multiple picks.
Take a punt, based on needs basis.

I know he's close to home but surely there are better performing prospects out there. He has one decent game a month and plays like the old school stand and deliver type that doesn't translate to AFL at all.

I take it we re talking May ,,,he’s not the last player you’d take but gee wiz I’d like to think there’s a few with stronger claims looming large this kid is as raw as it gets

I know he's close to home but surely there are better performing prospects out there. He has one decent game a month and plays like the old school stand and deliver type that doesn't translate to AFL at all.
Took the words right out of my mouth , if we had 3 pics ,,,maybe and it would t at all surprise if we do , can’t see fawcett playing

I take it we re talking May ,,,he’s not the last player you’d take but gee wiz I’d like to think there’s a few with stronger claims looming large this kid is as raw as it gets
I guess we go best talent with our first selection, you’re not going to turn your back on another Durham to go early on a raw kpf.
It’s the next pick you can get a bit creative with imo. Then it comes down to what’s left in the way of KPP. Every tall at that stage is a long shot. Maybe you lean towards the guy that’s been in your system for 12 months

I'd prefer Scaife from WA, but North & Hawks have picks before us at this stage. There aren't many other KPF banging down the door so why not take a shot at May. We've had the kid in our VFL program for 18 months, so would know plenty about him and he has improved markedly from last year. We all know KPPs take time to develop, and we've got an opportunity to land one for bugger cost outside a rookie list spots & contract.

In the U18s last season May kicked 28 goals from 12 games with 5 games of 3+ so the kid knows how to score and has shown he can take contested marks. If there is nobody else that we rate better than him, then I don't see the harm in giving him a crack.

I'd prefer Scaife from WA, but North & Hawks have picks before us at this stage. There aren't many other KPF banging down the door so why not take a shot at May. We've had the kid in our VFL program for 18 months, so would know plenty about him and he has improved markedly from last year. We all know KPPs take time to develop, and we've got an opportunity to land one for bugger cost outside a rookie list spots & contract.

In the U18s last season May kicked 28 goals from 12 games with 5 games of 3+ so the kid knows how to score and has shown he can take contested marks. If there is nobody else that we rate better than him, then I don't see the harm in giving him a crack.
Zero hanger listed several defenders that’ll be a focus in MSD, I’d expect both norf and haw to be all over them

coaches votes -

Richmond 15.5 (95) def Casey Demons 11.9 (75)
Tyler Sonsie (RIC)
9 Lachlan Street (RIC)
5 Adam Tomlinson (CD)
3 Samson Ryan (RIC)
2 Kaleb Smith (RIC)
1 Jacob Koschitzke (RIC)
1 Josh Schache (CD)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back