VFL Round 2 v Sydney Punt Road Oval Sunday 31st 12.05pm LIVE STREAM

Remove this Banner Ad

Was it just me or did I see Cumbo pull up lame after those efforts?
Cumberland was hobbled after half time. Heavy strapping on his right thigh and couldn't really get going because of it.

4 goals from Ryan, thats great. He is just doing his role today, nothing outstanding but a good confidence boost.
Come good in the 2nd half
Still gets pushed off the ball too easily in ruck though

Didn't see him after half time.
Didn't look injured.
Late out for us
Clarke in?
pretty sure he looked sore a bit before last coming off, didn't look anything too major, could be just holding him back as emergency since naismith & mcauliffe played out the full game

unfortunately for us there's gonna be a lot of sore boys from this game, saw mcauliffe, hugo, ryan, cumberland, smith(?) all pull up sore at stages, as well as a few of the vfl boys

pretty sure he looked sore a bit before last coming off, didn't look anything too major, could be just holding him back as emergency since naismith & mcauliffe played out the full game

unfortunately for us there's gonna be a lot of sore boys from this game, saw mcauliffe, hugo, ryan, cumberland, smith(?) all pull up sore at stages, as well as a few of the vfl boys
Yep was a bruising affair for both sides.
Lads earnt the win that's for sure

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McAuliffe 26 disposals 4 marks 9 clearances 5 tackles. Backed up last weeks game with another all around game. Won contested footy and also ball in space and used it so well. Will be camped in Yzes office this week as he's no longer knocking on the door.
Smith 19 disposals 5 marks 1 clearance 1 tackle. Played an excellent game across HB. Calm and composed he knows when to defend and when to provide an option on the counter attack. Will get a chance soon enough.
Naismith 19 disposals 8 marks 3 clearances 4 tackles 18 hitouts 2 goals. Another strong game in the ruck. Had a good battle with Ladhams in the ruck and probably had the better of it. Threw his body into the contest and made the Swans players know he was around.
Coulthard 15 disposals 5 marks 3 clearances 1 tackle. After a quiet 1st quarter Coulthard sprung to life in the 2nd as the option we used to attack through. Provided some skill and pace on the ball and helped turn the tide our way. Building into the season nicely.
Green 13 disposals 6 marks 1 clearance 2 tackles 1 goal. Got an opportunity to run through the middle a bit more today and showed that he is capable of having an impact. Not afraid to put his head over it and often used it well when he won it. Hopefully he continues in that role.
Koschitzke 11 disposals 7 marks 3 tackles 0.2. Could have had a very good day up forward but for poor conversion. Led and marked strongly and when he couldn't mark he at least halved the contest. Needs to play at that level as a base moving forward.
Ryan 10 disposals 4 marks 2 clearances 3 tackles 17 hitouts 3.1. Got reward for effort today after a slowish start to the game he built into it. I mentioned in his thread that they may be trying to turn him into a forward/ruck and it certainly looked that way today. Like Koschitzke this needs to be his base moving forward.
Ralphsmith 7 disposals 1 mark 1 clearance 1 goal. Played the first half and worked well in combination with Smith across HB. Defended when he needed then pushed forward to hit the scoreboard. Has improved from what he showed last year.
Cumberland 6 disposals 2 tackles. Not Noah's day today as he was hampered by a thigh injury that limited his movement. Still it was good to see him stick it out rather than pulling the pin. Hopefully it's just a corkie that he can work through this week and get back out there next week.

I haven’t had a chance to sit down and watch either the Gold Coast or Sydney VFL games, but did they change McAuliffe’s role at stages? Looked to be playing more of a ‘transition mid’, not directly in the contest but a step or two away.

Like Kaleb Smith, defensively stronger than I expected and a pretty good user of the footy.

Wouldn’t mind Green rotating in the squad sometime soon; just has an energy in the forward line and seems to always been in the vicinity when things happen.

Some promising signs from our younger players.

I haven’t had a chance to sit down and watch either the Gold Coast or Sydney VFL games, but did they change McAuliffe’s role at stages? Looked to be playing more of a ‘transition mid’, not directly in the contest but a step or two away.
At times he was slightly away from the drop of the ball at the stoppages around the ground. In the middle he was probably the prime mid, with Bravo as the secondary target
Like Kaleb Smith, defensively stronger than I expected and a pretty good user of the footy.

Wouldn’t mind Green rotating in the squad sometime soon; just has an energy in the forward line and seems to always been in the vicinity when things happen.

Loved Smiths game today, as I said calm and composed with ball in hand and defensively very sound.

Green was my surprise packet today in the middle. Just brought energy to the middle of the ground.

Last edited:

If I recall that was smiths trademark as a junior , good kick

Take any win you can folks even if it's the Tigers U8. Some our VFL top ups are better than a dozen of our seniors

This VFL contingent are the best I have seen at this club, possibly any club. Loads of them right in the sweet spot now around 24-25yo. The thing I love is guys like Bravo, Johnson, you can see really clear improvement in their games one year to the next, and they buy in fully to the team plans.

I am a retired punter but couldn't resist a bit of a tickle on our boys for the flag around 20/1 ish midweek. Every chance we find 1-2 teams a little too strong for us at the end of the season but I do think we might be around that top 4 region, and we are no 20-1 shot.

We didn't field one of our stronger teams today, but the teamwork and ball movement throughout the game, and the composure under pressure late in the game was outstanding.

Yep was a bruising affair for both sides.
Lads earnt the win that's for sure
It was a physical game!
Reckon our boys looked cooked halfway through the 3rd , so great effort to get the chocolates
Loved Coulthards game, pushed up high and ran hard all day.
McAullife was good again, not last weeks standard, maybe looked a bit tired, but geez he’s setting a high standard.
Smith another very solid game, looks to be a natural defender. Will love the wide expanse’s of the G where he can use that pace

It was a physical game!
Reckon our boys looked cooked halfway through the 3rd , so great effort to get the chocolates
Loved Coulthards game, pushed up high and ran hard all day.
McAullife was good again, not last weeks standard, maybe looked a bit tired, but geez he’s setting a high standard.
Smith another very solid game, looks to be a natural defender. Will love the wide expanse’s of the G where he can use that pace
The only criticism of Tiger Tanks game was his handballing blindly over his head.Did it a few times which is ok at Junior level not so much at afl level.Liking Smiths game,His footskills is awesome.Coultard was good agree.Even our vfl boys showed abit.Good signs

The only criticism of Tiger Tanks game was his handballing blindly over his head.Did it a few times which is ok at Junior level not so much at afl level.Liking Smiths game,His footskills is awesome.Coultard was good agree.Even our vfl boys showed abit.Good signs
Yep done well with our VFL boys this year.
It’s a good stepping stone- Tresize, Lefau and a couple of Bumbers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back