Autopsy autopsy v * in it for more than half a game.

Remove this Banner Ad

As someone who has vocalised their disappointment of LDU’s year, I really liked his match today. He got stuck-in, chased, tackled, did the dirty stuff and found the separation which brings him into elite category of player. Well done. I pray you kick on for the rest of the year, leaving oppo campaigners in your wake.
Yeah he's been a solid b and b+ all year, but today was A grade.

The thing is that when we turn it over, it isn’t even close. Not even to a 50/50. Straight to the opposition in the most dangerous position possible. Every time.

The weirdest shit is. Since jy’s been out, I haven’t been cursing McDonald at all. And Scott decides to gift it to the opposition, ****ing he’ll Luke all of sudden looks like that promised top ten pick

Deadset I recon we lost the game only on the back of missed tackles today. All game we let them take the tackle on, free arms clearing the ball. It just kills our setup when an oppo mid can take on 2/3 of our guys and still find someone on the outside.

Also after half time you can see huge differences in work rate. Us exiting D50 there are matchups all over the ground and we’re chipping risky 45 deg kicks. Them exiting D50 there’s an easy out to the flank, then easy kick to the wing, then one into the middle, and four forwards all leading at the ball. Shithouse work rate and very poor setup.
Pretty sure we just set a record for the lowest number of intercepts in an AFL game with just 46. The AFL average is 67 and our average is 57.

The best sides force the opposition to turn it over - we can't or don't. We are the number 1 witches hat side that has ever played.

Partly it's because we have no genuine small forwards or pressure forwards and it all flows on from there. And we have too many players generally who don't have the stamina to man up all game.

There once was a time we had the 2 best wingman in the country, and was even more extraordinary that godees had a pretty handy bloke called robbie flower getting around at the same time!
Now it’s a cursed position

I hope our side got encouraged by having longer in the game. Did get to see for myself that the other club will be found out as the season goes on and that the ladder at the moment reflects their easy start, not any big change to their flakiness, so that’s better than nothing.
Even if we lost, i was really hoping we might go into 3/4 time only a couple of goals down. Just for the players sake, knowing they're only 1 good quarter away.

The thing is that when we turn it over, it isn’t even close. Not even to a 50/50. Straight to the opposition in the most dangerous position possible. Every time.
That’s what hurst most, is that a lot of our turnovers are genuine scoring opportunities that end up turning into a goal for the opposition.

They aren’t even forced turnovers. They are basic skill errors from players that have been in the system long enough to be better.

So many classic 12 point plays from this group, which hurts our ability to be in games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Off a very low base, but Corr has put together a very solid month of footy.
McDonald has also been better the last 2 weeks.
I’ll pay both of those.
it’s nice not yelling “**** you corr and **** you lmac” in game. Long may they continue to go well!

Last edited:
Deadset I recon we lost the game only on the back of missed tackles today.

Missed tackles and missed kicks. Too many times our defenders would do their job and get an intercept, only for our rebound out of defensive 50 to come to a stuttering halt when someone like Scott or Tucker or McDonald would butcher a kick.

Kills any chance we have.

Agree with you on tackles as well though. We look like the weakest team in the comp.

Missed tackles and missed kicks. Too many times our defenders would do their job and get an intercept, only for our rebound out of defensive 50 to come to a stuttering halt when someone like Scott or Tucker or McDonald would butcher a kick.

Kills any chance we have.

Agree with you on tackles as well though. We look like the weakest team in the comp.
McDonald had one turnover. You're like Nostra with some of your calls.

dawson got a footy lesson very raw, which is great for his development. hurt is ankle in the very first contest, hurt it again later in match both times went back out. A good kick too, but get to work son, we need you.
special mention to sheez what a handball and wardlaw tap were sublime.

biggest issues for me, some have been discussed already.
defensive workrate - non existent in the forward half. * waltzed it out with little to no effort.
deflating basic skill errors. Game was Auskick standard at times - comben, bergman, shiels, scott and tucker to name a few.
panic decision making which also lead to skill errors and panic kicks.
no aerial presence in forward half.
slow ball movement out of defense when a clear option is on.
curtis taylor turning is back after a mark, burnt zurharr in the pocket. lucky he kicked the goal. selflessness breads positive culture and confidence on the ground. ala collingwood…

positives to name a few
xerri, sheez, wardlaw, ldu, powell, corr, comben(minus his short kick to merrit).

anyway stick fat. Hopefully injury curse hits the * off button soon. it will turn…enjoy it when it does…

Go Roos!

McDonald had one turnover. You're like Nostra with some of your calls.

Not specifically talking about just this week.
Talking about the wider issue of our ball usage coming out of defense.

Far better all round performance today - lots of individual goods/bads have been rightfully pointed out but in a nutshell what we delivered today was our best performance of the season.

Let's see what we can put together next week against the Power to see whether there are some real green shoots appearing or not.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back