Autopsy autopsy v * in it for more than half a game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bailey Scott needs to be sent to the magoos until he can show he can hit his kicks consistently.

Very, very hard to watch the team scrap and claw and fight their way to a three-goal deficit halfway through the third quarter off the back of nothing more than basically sheer will, and George Wardlaw, and for them to have a convoy running through the middle with two leading forwards 30m out from goal, and for Bailey Scott to kick it five metres to the left to an Essendon defender who started the play with his back to the footy. Turnover, rebound 50, Alwyn Davey goal, bang, floodgates, game over. Absolute momentum slaughter.

We're so close in so many ways, but the usual suspects - Scott, Tucker chief among them - are holding us back. Their usual guns - Merrett, Langford, Martin, Redman - were or have been down on their regular output. Corr played a great game, Shiels played well on Merrett for a half, Redman and Laverde demolished Zurhaar but weren't offensively that great. We just turn it over in so many creative and interesting ways and we make it so hard for ourselves to develop any sense of fluency and drive.

The first half was a really good effort. I thought we played them really well at centre clearances and crucially, outside of one effort at the first bounce, Xerri didn't try to contest our midfielders for ground balls. He clearly knows what works against Goldstein and I thought focused on getting in his space early after the bounce. Powell had an excellent first quarter, and a great first half overall. Faded a bit in the second half, but did his job.

Lazzaro did nothing in a game that should have been set up for him to do well. I don't see what he offers, and the spot is realistically there for him to take off Tucker.

Tucker was deplorable. His ball drop lends itself to the ball floating. He's a big body and aggressive but he turns the ball over consistently and doesn't offer enough. I know why he's out there, and he'll get the rest of the year. But we can't move forward as a club and as a team if we have him as a first choice wingman.

Stephenson's infield kicking is so hit and miss but when it's a hit it's really good. He just doesn't get involved enough, his magical ability to be where the footy is not is basically second to none. I'd almost like to see him played as a full time winger - legitimately anyone but Scott at the moment - because having Stephenson deliver the footy inside 50 is a far better proposition.

I reckon we lost this game the second we decided to debut Dawson, but I don't hate that we did. What I didn't necessarily love was keeping Dawson on Wright for a whole game, fantastic learning experience notwithstanding. We have the reigning SANFL TOTY FB running around like a headless chook in the forward line; what's the harm in swapping the two and giving Dawson a bit of a rest in the forward line? On Dawson, there's enough signs there that he'll be a footballer, largely the fact that he's 200cm at 18 years old, but he just got lost on Wright too many times. Persist and it'll happen eventually.

Wardlaw was great. Our team seems determined to kill him. The Zurhaar fiasco in the last quarter where he sold Wardlaw into an ADJ tackle was absurdist football at its best. He just took over the second quarter, he's going to be such a good player when he is older and fitter. Great player now.

Corr destroyed Langford. Probably his best game for the club. From pillar to post. A shining light.

I've absolutely given up on the season and I hate footy. But all I want to see when I watch is signs of life. I think there were enough signs of life, both as a team and for individual players, that I will subject myself to this bullshit against next week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have way too many front runners who should count themselves lucky we have other list priorities.

We lined up with the following midfield:

Tucker, Bailey, Powell, LDU, Wardlaw, Xerri

And the following forwarding

Larkey, Pink, Shiels, Curtis, Duursma, Stevo

Literally two of those blokes have a strong defensive application (both running and pressure) and one has the running side.of it down pat, and one (the ruck) has the pressure side down pat.

We won't win many games with so many defensive passengers in our mid and front half.

How can you set up when you look either side of you and know that 2/3+ of your teammates won't do the hard work?

Same s*hit as always these days. No need to go into specifics as you could copy and paste comments from each week to the next. It's seemingly rock bottom but each week it does feel like we sink lower and lower.

I actually wouldn't begrudge LDU for leaving. I certainly don't want him to but there's no guarantee next year is any better and no guarantee we have got back on track in 5 years so......dire times.

As long as Scott, Tucker, Stephenson & McDonald continue to get games then we will continue on our losing streak. I long for the day when our side is finally purged of dumb unskilled useless so-called footballers.
you just have to accept they are part of the scene for the next 18 months,

Sounds ridiculous but today is the first time I've genuinely thought we'll go winless. We just don't do anything conducive to winning for longer than 2-3 contests at a time, and we are a horror show without the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back