Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 6 - Crows v Bombers Fri April 19th 7:40pm AEST (AO)

Who will win and by how much?

• Crows by a goal or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bombers by a goal or less

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Crows by 7 - 20

Votes: 27 43.5%
  • Bombers by 7 - 20

Votes: 17 27.4%
  • Crows by a lot

Votes: 12 19.4%
  • Bombers by a lot

• Draw

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

You seemed to suggest Tex’s HTB while there, was a less of a HTB because he was forcing the play. Can one free kick be ‘lesser’ than another free kick?

It’s either a free kick or it isn’t. There are no levels of free kicks.

There’s a difference between a clear cut free kick and one where the umpire is required to make a decision based on interpretation.

Did you read my post?

The Walker one is a 50/50 call, he was tackled immediately so he didn’t really have prior opportunity, you can interpret his attempt to bust through the tackle as trying to get his hands free to handball. I wouldn’t have a problem if that was paid HTB, but I think if you watched any game you would see multiple examples of similar instances being paid and not paid.

That Draper one ALWAYS gets paid.

Again, we weren’t robbed, Essendon deserved to win. s**t umpiring calls are part of the game and they usually balance out.

My issue is that in yet another close game the umpires gave adjudicated key moments differently to the rest of the game.

The biggest example is the prelim final last year. The Pies got away with countless things that normally get paid. This allowed them to keep the ball in congestion and prevented any open play. Essentially if you are up in the dying stages you have a massive leg up from the umpires.

Either it’s a direction from the league, or the umpires aren’t brave enough to blow the whistle.
Spot on ! Though its completely irrelevant to me if Essendon deserved to win. Rightly or wrongly, the game was where it was at that specific time and a decision was there to be made, a decision that any other time would have been paid goes begging - and its the crows that suffer.
Im not a Crows fan at all, but I feel for them. As a neutral found it a really enjoyable game.

Spot on ! Though its completely irrelevant to me if Essendon deserved to win. Rightly or wrongly, the game was where it was at that specific time and a decision was there to be made, a decision that any other time would have been paid goes begging - and its the crows that suffer.
Im not a Crows fan at all, but I feel for them. As a neutral found it a really enjoyable game.

Its amazing how many people can't grasp this most basic understanding

its not 50/50, he tried to beat 2 essendon players and tried to fend one off, then dropped it, clear cut

I disagree, he is tackled immediately once he picks up the ball. Yes he tried to bust through but you can see the whole time he’s attempting to get his hands free to handball.

So the AFL has admitted it should have been a free but that because the umpires weren't sure they were correct not to pay it.

They've managed to basically say that everyone is right. So glad we can all move on.

Next Crows hime game against a big Vic side in the results poll options can we also have an option for "Crows lose by less than a goal due to another umpiring stuff up in the dying minutes".

Its getting a tad too comon this. Just wait for the umpires to award an absolute shocker in favour of the Crows and they win a close one (but not a big Vic club). The umpires certainly owe them.

I disagree, he is tackled immediately once he picks up the ball. Yes he tried to bust through but you can see the whole time he’s attempting to get his hands free to handball.

Case in point, we just saw Byrne-Jones attempt a sidestep and have the ball knocked clear not paid, and mead attempt to bust through one tackle immediately after grabbing the ball and be tackled by a second player and not paid. However minutes earlier a Pies player (can’t remember who) was paid for dragging it in.

Point is there is often leniency on players who are attempting to keep the ball moving, but there almost never is on a player diving on it.

Next Crows hime game against a big Vic side in the results poll options can we also have an option for "Crows lose by less than a goal due to another umpiring stuff up in the dying minutes".

Its getting a tad too comon this. Just wait for the umpires to award an absolute shocker in favour of the Crows and they win a close one (but not a big Vic club). The umpires certainly owe them.
Welcome to the last 20 years of games at subiaco oval.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watched that ending for the first time.

No Draper was not holding the ball. The whistle was blown too soon as the umpire was scared but if they didn’t the siren would’ve sounded before a reasonable time had elapsed. The other so-called high decisions were all those ones that should never be paid so I’m glad they didn’t.

Case in point, we just saw Byrne-Jones attempt a sidestep and have the ball knocked clear not paid, and mead attempt to bust through one tackle immediately after grabbing the ball and be tackled by a second player and not paid. However minutes earlier a Pies player (can’t remember who) was paid for dragging it in.

Point is there is often leniency on players who are attempting to keep the ball moving, but there almost never is on a player diving on it.
What are your thoughts on this one, also in the last minute, tex plays for a high free with no attempt to dispose?

What are your thoughts on this one, also in the last minute, tex plays for a high free with no attempt to dispose?

I think that’s holding the ball. I will say no that the ducking/dropping the knees is prior opportunity interpretation seems to have disappeared for some reason.

You realise though that all these calls you mention you’re making my point for me, umpires are either too scared to call the game the way they do normally once it gets close, or it’s a directive from the league.

Like I said, my issue isn’t that we were robbed. We weren’t.

Draper intentionally went to ground to get the ball, once you do that it’s your obligation to get the ball out. That’s how it’s been umpired for nearly a decade.

Again, we didn’t deserve to win, but it’s a constant theme that umpires adjudicate the game completely differently when it gets close.
Walker should have been done prior to Draper.

Already covered above but what your saying literally proves my point.

I’m not here having a sook that we lost, I’m complaining that umpires umpire the game completely differently when it gets close to the rest of the game.
it's been happening for years now, if it's close they'll put the whistle away unless it's extremely egregious. i think the call could've gone either way, but no call was the best decision that the umpire could've made given that it was not an easy decision to make.

yes the afl said it's technically holding the ball, but it's just that right, technically. the ball went out of the tackle and was dragged back in by walker, at what point was that out of draper's control?

it's been happening for years now, if it's close they'll put the whistle away unless it's extremely egregious. i think the call could've gone either way, but no call was the best decision that the umpire could've made given that it was not an easy decision to make.

I know. It needs to stop.

There is no such thing as a “no call”. Not paying a free kick in any scenario is just as significant as paying a free kick.

yes the afl said it's technically holding the ball, but it's just that right, technically. the ball went out of the tackle and was dragged back in by walker, at what point was that out of draper's control?

For this decade and longer holding the ball has been adjudicated that if you drag it on or dive on it it is your responsibility to get it out.

If Draper had picked the ball up while keeping his feet, been tackled and then had the ball held to him it would’ve been a non issue and a ball up.

He intentionally dove on the ball, it is his responsibility to get it out regardless of what the opposition is doing.

Back