Preview AAMI Community Series vs Geelong, Metricon Stadium, Monday, March 8, 6:40pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

First full Suns game I've seen in some time.

Thought Rowell was absolutely outstanding after a slowish start and reckon Weller looks spot on running out of the backline and distributing (such a critical role in each team now as I've found at my club with A Hall's injury absence).

Surprised Hollands still sitting in the stands after the big wraps on him at draft time and agree with others that Flanders would seem to warrant a starting berth.

Rankine reminds me of Jaidyn Stephenson for us. You have to play him for the one game in three he rips open but geez they are frustrating types.

Last edited:

If it was Toby Greene...

Overall a good hit out. The win is a bonus but saw enough to be positive about being able to hit 10 wins this year. (Which is where I am setting our over/under this year).

That midfield of Rowell/Miller/Anderson is one to definitely focus on, especially with the support of Fiorini, Davies, Swallow and Rankine who can all go through there as well. Made even better with Witts being back and hitting some amazing taps.

Defense is as good as ever. They zone off well and support each other, was great to see Lemmens and Graham among others come across to spoil when necessary. Graham also had his best day out in Suns colours, with some nice marks and spoils, still can't kick though, but he showed signs.

Forward of the ball is still a work in progress. Too many times Chol and Causbolt flew for the same ball. However, Lukosius looked alright, was able to mark up the field and deliver into 50 as well as set up scoring opportunities (see Chol assist) as well as getting 3 himself. Ainsworth was great after being wobbly early, 4 goals from him is a decent day out. Rankine had some moments, and his field kicking is amazing, but he needs to get more of it. Causbolt plays an interesting role of just crashing packs and bringing the ball to ground, probably still need him to score but he is doing the role asked of him pretty well, will be rarely outmarked.

With that being said heading into round 1, this is how I think we will look (I am assuming Chol gets up). If Chol doesn't get up, expect Corbett to come in.

Powell - Collins - Lemmens
Weller - Graham - Ballard
Ellis - Miller - Sharp
Ainsworth - Chol - Lukosius
Rankine - Causbolt - Holman

Witts - Rowell - Anderson

Fiorini - Macpherson - Swallow - Davies

Sub: Flanders​

Surely beating two Preliminary Finalists in the pre season has to count for something! I loved how we were taking the game on and playing fast. We play our best footy when we use our speed and it worked last night. Yes we wasted a lot of shots but at the end of the day, at least we are getting the ball down there. In the past we wouldn't get it in the forwardline.

Surely beating two Preliminary Finalists in the pre season has to count for something! I loved how we were taking the game on and playing fast. We play our best footy when we use our speed and it worked last night. Yes we wasted a lot of shots but at the end of the day, at least we are getting the ball down there. In the past we wouldn't get it in the forwardline.
We beat Geelong by 11 goals in 2020 and they made a grand final and we finished 14th.
I wouldn't be raising my expectations from these games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nudda.

Surely beating two Preliminary Finalists in the pre season has to count for something!
I also tried to make this point before we played the Cats and got shut down very quickly. It's not like this was a weak Geelong outfit - they had Dangerfield, Selwood, Hawkins, Cameron, Guthrie etc but people still think it means nothing. I feel like I can see the continuity forming in the midfield and that the forward line is finding ways to function without King but hey, if others want to wait until the real stuff to be convinced then I guess we'll just wait. For what it's worth, several Suns supporters were convinced that our AFLW team would struggle to win a single game this season after I pointed out some of the positives I saw in the preseason.

I think it's a defence mechanism that people don't want to believe improvement has actually occurred until it's completely undeniable and that's fair enough with our club history.

Last edited:
I also tried to make this point before we played the Cats and got shut down very quickly. It's not like this was a weak Geelong outfit - they had Dangerfield, Selwood, Hawkins, Cameron, Guthrie etc but people still think it means nothing. I feel like I can see the continuity forming in the midfield and that the forward line is finding ways to function without King but hey, if others want to wait until the real stuff to be convinced then I guess we'll just wait. For what it's worth, several Suns supporters were convinced that our AFLW would struggle to win a single game this season after I pointed out some of the positives I saw in the preseason.

I think it's a defence mechanism that people don't want to believe improvement has actually occurred until it's completely undeniable and that's fair enough with our club history.
People don't want to be disappointed so aim low and achieve high?

FWIW, I am expecting finals this season by the boys. At the very least, we should be pushing for finals most of the way.

Sorry to be a dick but it means absolutely nothing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back