Preview AAMI Community Series vs Geelong, Metricon Stadium, Monday, March 8, 6:40pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Good quarter.

Great to see Rory intercept and then handball off.

Casboult hasn't marked anything but he is just contesting and contesting with no reward. With that Ainsworth goal he was the one who handballed out to Holman (who dropped it), then he got on his knees and smacked it out to Benny. Problem is he is rendered without much ability anywhere outside the immediate contest. With Chol out for a month or so, we're playing him regardless.

Can't play Moyle. Just no-where near it as a forward which is where he'd play for a bit if Witts is in the side.

Gotta play Burgess in that second ruck role IMO.
Chol out for a month?

I thought they said 'hamstring tightness' not significant tear.

With about the same pleasure I'd get from a Viking slowly dragging my guts out and wrapping them around a pole I have to say Caleb Graham was okay tonight
I feel dirty:oops:

Was at the game.

Mids looked good. Amazing what a ruck can do. I’d take Moyle if Witts isn’t fit—he goes ok. Really helped our mids get on top for large periods of the game.

Backline work well. Powell and Weller give us good use most of the time. Great to see Big Red Sauce out there again too! Crowd loved it.

It’s our forward 50 that needs work (as always). Good to see our smalls getting on the board. All those behinds in the first half were bloody painful to watch. We need most of smalls to fire each game to keep scoreboard pressure.

Rowell is back baby - 8 clearances, 7 inside 50s, 500m gained and 27 touches.

Touk is not ****ing human. Anderson looks to be taking it to be next level.

Rankine awful game but got better towards the end.

Powell is such a weapon.

Hopefully just a 1-2 week setback for Chol.

That's all from me. Good preseason game despite the goalkicking yips for a bit. Don't think Geelong went too hard.

Let the real shit begin!

Anderson might have done his calf or ankle…. Layed on ground for about a minute and couldnt get up… then hobled off looked sore as!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Witts ruck work in the 3rd quarter was unreal and changed the game. Miller, Rowell, Anderson midfield will be elite for years to come, just hope they can all stay fit. Fiorini is still way ahead of Davies, not sure if there is a spot for both though. Sharp to take atkins wing, although atkins 2nd half was a lot better. Burgess replace chol if not fit. Casboult gives us something we haven't had for a long time, his strength brings in the smalls and you can see the little guys lining up whenever the ball is kicked his way. Weller and swallow in the back half look really good. Plenty to like about our pre season hit outs!

Rankings /10

Miller: 9.5/10 - Typical Tour game. He is going to be a gun for the next 3-4 years guaranteed. Can see this guy playing 300 games for us.
Powell: 9 - Strong in air, hard to tackle, nice flat kick. 9 intercepts - so solid.
Rowell: 9 - great contested work, appears to be running freer
Witts: 8.5 - so good to have him back, 15 hit outs to advantage
Ainsworth: 8 - Busy, could tidy up his finishing but a nice game, clean with ball on ground.
Fiorini: 7.5 - Busy, most score involvements for us.
Anderson: 7.5 - Got his hands on it lots, better field kicking desirable.
Lukosius: 7.5 - what he did was class. Flew strongly on occasion which is encouraging. 6 marks and 3 goals in 50% TOG
Ballard: 7 - strong in air, set up a few attacking moves
Swallow: 7 - solid in defence, good composure going forward with hands or short kicks from the back flank - better in this position IMO, still blazes hen forward of centre.
Lemmens: 7 - Won most of his contests,
Collins: 7 - Hawkins only had 3 kicks and didn't kick a goal
Chol: 7 - 7 possessions, 4 marks and a goal in the first half. Hope he is ok to play round 1
Holman: 6 - 8 tackles, fumbled lots, missed an easy set shot
Weller: 6 - 100% disposal efficiency. Didn't get that much ball around ground though.
Ellis: 5 - Was ok but tended to kick long when he could have hit up short targets.
Davies: 5 - 6 tackles, 10 contested possessions. Bit rushed but fought well.
Graham: 5 - Didn't get outmarkedoften but spoiled lots when could have marked. I'm ok if he plays round 1
Macpherson: 4 - Disposal average. competes
Rankine: 3 - 50m penalty, missed sitter shot at goal after casual approach. Clean with ball in space.

Thompson, Flanders, Sexton, moyle all decent when came on.

All I can say is was great to be back at the footy, no masks. Better crowd than I expected for a Monday night.
Touk, Rowelly and Noah is going to be a gun first choice midfield for years to come. If we can find one or two more (have high hopes for Davies and Hollands), we are set for success.

My big take aways:
1) we have a midfield for the 10 years… Miller, Rowell, Anderson, Witts, Ellis & Sharp with Davies, Moyle and hopefully Hollands to take up big roles in the next couple of years.
2) I’m starting to see something in Caleb Graham. I thought he played really well, even with his typical moments. Really good mark, spoils the ball and is starting to put some size on. Can see him being a quality key defender in 1-2 years.
3) I have no idea what our forward line will look like in round one.
4) Rankine needs to get 15 touches a game, I feel like his field kicking into and around the 50 is elite but is only doing it 2-3 times a game. Forget the forward pocket role, needs to play that connector role and then do the exciting shit when the ball is locked in our 50.

All I can say is was great to be back at the footy, no masks. Better crowd than I expected for a Monday night.
Touk, Rowelly and Noah is going to be a gun first choice midfield for years to come. If we can find one or two more (have high hopes for Davies and Hollands), we are set for success.
Hopefully that is Jack Bowes. Been on the same preseason program as Touk, Fiorini, Holman & Ellis to name afew so he was pretty fit. He was born a midfielder and there is still a spot open.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back