News Media Thread, 2024: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

Can’t decide if that’s more or less annoying than the Sam McClure McDouble-Down.

At least Kane Cornes has the background of 300 games, 2 All-Australian selections, 4 Best-and-Fairests and a premiership. He wasn't particularly talented, but got the best out of himself through sheer hard work. When he gives an opinion, particularly around fitness and work ethic, it comes from a position of experience.

By contrast, Sam McClure is a muckraking, nepo-baby whose main claim to fame is having the most punchable face in sports journalism. If he wants to report something, I'll take vague notice, because like a stopped watch, he occasionally gets something right. A bit like Caroline Wilson. But his opinion? It counts for nothing.

Cornes can still eat a big of dicks, though.

We're the Eagles, Waalitj Marawar Eagles and we're here to show you why.

Might take a bit of practice nailing that.

Waalitj means Eagle, so you’re singing We’re the Eagles of the West Eagles.

At least Kane Cornes has the background of 300 games, 2 All-Australian selections, 4 Best-and-Fairests and a premiership. He wasn't particularly talented, but got the best out of himself through sheer hard work. When he gives an opinion, particularly around fitness and work ethic, it comes from a position of experience.

By contrast, Sam McClure is a muckraking, nepo-baby whose main claim to fame is having the most punchable face in sports journalism. If he wants to report something, I'll take vague notice, because like a stopped watch, he occasionally gets something right. A bit like Caroline Wilson. But his opinion? It counts for nothing.

Cornes can still eat a big of dicks, though.
Also quit on the firies cause he's an entitled brat who thought he didn't have to do the same work as everyone else in the job.

He's pretty selective about what's considered 'work ethic'.

Crippa talking about that moment from last weeks match.

Jamie Cripps opens up on costly free kick in West Coast Eagles’ loss to Bombers, calls out social media ‘scum’​

Jamie Cripps has revealed his costly free kick against Essendon was an act of retaliation after getting punched in the chin, with the West Coast veteran labelling social media trolls who had criticised him as “scum”.

Cripps was in the crosshairs in the aftermath of the Eagles’ six-point loss after a shove that felled Nic Martin led to a Bombers free kick before Jake Waterman had a chance to line up for a shot at goal midway through the final quarter.
The stinging criticism came from fans and AFL analysts alike, including football legend Leigh Matthews deeming Cripps’ act as “the most diabolical lack of discipline”.

While disappointed in his actions, Cripps said his shove was a response to getting shoved in the face in the moments prior.

“I just reacted to him (Martin) actually punching me in the chin first,” Cripps told SportFM.
“It’s a bit disappointing and I’m not real happy with myself. But you’ve got to move on and it’s only a game of footy.”
Player abuse on social media has been a prominent topic this week, with Eagles coach Adam Simpson revealing the club had approached police over posts aimed at players, and Docker Jordan Clark calling for better protection from trolls.

Cripps said he tried to shut out much of the online noise, but it was still difficult to ignore in the aftermath of such a prominent incident.

“You definitely see it. I got a fair bit of it on the weekend,” he said of social media abuse.
“One act sort of sets everyone off.

“I don’t read too much into it or listen to too much of it - it’s just keyboard warriors that get behind the computer and can type whatever they want, with no consequences.

“If that’s what they want to do in their life, they can go ahead and do it. I just think they’re scum, really.”
Cripps warned of the prospect of losing players from the game altogether in the face of worsening abuse in the social media realm, saying young teammate Harley Reid had already been on the receiving end just seven games into his senior career.

“It’s a hard one because social media is so big now. It’s definitely changed a lot over the past few years, and it’s just getting bigger and bigger,” Cripps said.

“The young boys are well trained and all over it, but still, you always get the people who go that little bit too far.
“Harley gets a lot of it over his short career already.

“It’s not on. We need to stop it otherwise you’re going to lose some good players out of the game, I think, from copping it so much from these people.”

Crippa talking about that moment from last weeks match.
Obviously paywalled so I can only read that first paragraph.

It appears he's trying to make an excuse for his actions. Scarcely believable 4 days after the act. Ok you got punched but if have to retaliate do it after we've kicked the goal dumbarse.

It appears he's trying to make an excuse for his actions. Scarcely believable 4 days after the act. Ok you got punched but if have to retaliate do it after we've kicked the goal dumbarse.
expand the box, articles there, just didn't want to paste the wall of text :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair it is a very instinctive thing to push someone away or retaliate if someone punches you. Especially with a lot of adrenalin in your body already. Your body takes over your mind.

Don't think I would be able to hold myself back in the same situation

For those that don’t listen to 6PR, every Wednesday Adam Papalia has a segment with Mark Stone going over various AFL stats with a focus on the two WA teams

Stone has had extensive experience as an assistant coach at West Coast, Sydney, Fremantle and, most recently, Brisbane

He’s really knowledgeable and the weekly segment is very informative. It’s a really good listen

On a side note, I hope we’ve had a word in his ear to rejoin the club. He’s currently head of football at Christchurch and a part time assistant at Perth

For those that don’t listen to 6PR, every Wednesday Adam Papalia has a segment with Mark Stone going over various AFL stats with a focus on the two WA teams

Stone has had extensive experience as an assistant coach at West Coast, Sydney, Fremantle and, most recently, Brisbane

He’s really knowledgeable and the weekly segment is very informative. It’s a really good listen

On a side note, I hope we’ve had a word in his ear to rejoin the club. He’s currently head of football at Christchurch and a part time assistant at Perth

Pft...why would you want to leave the MIGHTY DEMONS to go to WC...P..lease!

A bigger picture than Cripps reactionary mistake or his reasons for, or his regret - is the hate players like himself are receiving on social media. It is irrational and unacceptable to have immature emotionally invested fans attacking players personally behind their keyboards or phones. It is just a game, just sport!? Get a life Ffs! I get people are gambling as well and get upset at their loss, but that is literally their gambling problem, not Cripps or any other player...

I stumbled on the show last night by default, twiddling the dial - really informative stuff!
His talk on offence and defence was insightful, "offence wins you games and defence wins you premierships".
I presume the segment gets repeated as I listened to it quite late last night...

Shirley Temple Giggle GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back