Autopsy Round 7, 2024 : Hawks get pecked by Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

The backline has gone backwards under Kade, the midfield has gone backwards under Hale and players are collectively making simple mistakes that shouldn't be continued week on week. Too many back office changes in one off season for a young group is what will get Sam crucified long term.

We get into the game on pressure and lose it because we make to many errors, unfortunately, either the players need to be cleaner or we need better players. Personally think it's the coaches now because the message isn't getting through and the skills aren't improving and the poor decisions are repeated.

Umpiring was a disgrace on both sides, but that's the least of our worries.

The Ramsden as sub decision on the face of it is a little baffling.

Surely our plan all week was to have Lewis and Chol as key tall forwards. Why do we then last minute, change our forward structure and therefore game plan by removing a tall?

I'm sure there is method to the madness but not something I can immediately identify.
We were playing 4D chess with Sydney hoping they’d prepare for the decoy selected Lewis (who was never going to play)

Think About It GIF by Identity

This is the first time i've put a post up ive really enjoyed reading everyone's comments over the last year or so. I'm not really sure what people are expecting. We have basically gutted our list and we have no chance at the top 3 picks due to the AFL. We have done well in the draft and probably exceeding where we should be. Until we get top end talent or we some how get free agents or trade players in we are where we are.
We are paying the price for losing all our leaders before bringing a crop of young players through too. Needed to be hitting the draft from 2015 onwards. But having to wait for pick 7 each year when you're a bottom 3 club is rubbing salt into the wound.

Ramsden as the sub. Really coaches……FMD

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Then to put him on for Serong and move Gunston back.

Serong won that one on one, and I was thinking it would be so good for his confidence, then to be taken off, wtf.

Scrimmers was huge in the last quarter, I don’t know if all the pumping of Weddle’s tyres in the pre season went to his head, or what’s happening there.

I’m not writing Sammy off just yet, but I am starting to have concerns around some of the team selection, player positions and game plans.

Of everything bad I saw today I was most disappointed in the lack of accountability.
As soon as Chol gave away the foolish free while Hardwick was nailing the shot from outside 50 when the contest was still in the balance Sam should've dragged his a$$ to the bench for the remainder of the quarter and sent a message but no.... Chol kept on playing listless, bruise-free football. Likely Chol wouldn't of got the message anyhow because he doesn't seem to care but the rest of the team may of?
Coaching fail all round.👎

Can Sam and selection please play to some of our players strengths.

The constant shuffling of magnets at half time because our plan A is going poorly (surprise surprise when we line up like that) is not helping the development of our young players.

What's the point of throwing Weddle forward for a quarter when we are ten goals down or subbing off Serong to get Gunners a few cheapies in the back half? Why do we now throw Hardwick back after the opposition have kicked 15 goals?
Theres an element of delusion thats got to be going on at selection. Ramsden as a sub needs to be explained. Serong off for Gunston same. I think our game plan also needs a good look, we were predictable to our opponents. That run and handball through the middle got completely picked apart under pressure.

They explained it on the TV - Sarah Jones asked Mitchell why and he said because it was red time (47 secs on the clock) and he went for a risky kick - and what do you know Papley kicks a goal on turnover after the siren.

He deserved it.

He is asked to play on bigger blokes every week. If he is not winning our best and fairest he would be very very close

Last edited:
In all seriousness - in what universe do you think Scrimshaw OR ANY of our players are going to go - "Well this Hawthorn teams isn't looking successful anytime soon - I know I'll go and play or Norf" this might be the stupidest post of the day
Because if I have to play for a bottom three side I'd probably choose to play for the one that offers me the most $$ and is coached by someone who doesnt seem to hold me to different levels of performance than the rest of the playing group.

Yes, sure Scrimmers made a mistake with his kick in red time but cripes he was hardly the only Hawks player to make a s....y kick today yet he was the only one to cop a spray in public (that I saw).

Trust me, players remember that kind of thing.

Just another week where i'm left wondering what has happened to our ball movement off half back???
No speed, no dare...

What happened to seeing Mitchell and Weddle bursting from half back?

Even on the occasion when we do get the ball outside and they can run a bit, there is no one ahead to kick to...

90% of the time our ball movement is so slow.. by the time we do get it down our end the only option is to bomb it in long because there is zero room for our fwds to lead into...

People keep potting the fwds... i cant imagine playing in this fwd line.. you're basically relying on taking pack marks to get a set shot...

I keep seeing these inside 50 stats how we do well... look at the quality of Sydney's inside 50s to our... so many of there's where either to someone on the lead or a 1 on 1 contest. Totally different in quality.

Positives for me were;
  • Mackenzie just seems to keep on growing
  • Wilbur Day back running around
  • Scrimmers didn't hang his head after a spray and played really well
  • Meek is really proving his worth
  • How much ive noticed our fwd line misses the "randomness" and just speed? of the Wizard (only a few games into his career)
  • Moore really coming back into his best
  • Duke...getting there

We are paying the price for losing all our leaders before bringing a crop of young players through too. Needed to be hitting the draft from 2015 onwards. But having to wait for pick 7 each year when you're a bottom 3 club is rubbing salt into the wound.

Makes it tough too when one of our main rivals during those years 14/15 has the ability to get priority access to guys like Heeney and Mills while they are contending. Seeing the follow on effect of that now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

immediate response:

• most frustrating point from today for mine was hearing our crowd boo Chol. Disgusting
  • Our forward structure is a mess. Lewis being a late out was a pre-game death knell. Need Lewis, Watto and Wingard desperately.
  • Our midfield is offensively strong, but defensively deplorable. Caught lacking too many times.
  • Scrim, Moore, Meek, Day, and Frenchie showed something whilst the rest of the team lowered their colours.
  • Day got through uninjured
  • Have to learn to deal with poor umpiring on field. Yes there were several 12 point plays that were instigated by them, but we've got to ride that out and learn to deal with it.

Fact is Sydney is one of the best teams in the comp, and we are one of the youngest/least developed.
Frustrated, but not overly disheartened
Woman behind me was giving it to Chol. I had to turn around when he made a smother and chased and kicked a goal - he’s better than Koschitzki

Supporters have to watch the frustration - everyone wants to get better. I’m frustrated too, as are the players.

Sure Sydney are the far better team but it's more than that. We often looked disorganised out there and the decision making, especially the f50 entries, was atrocious. Sydney defenders were doing as they liked and it was training drill for Sydney in the 2nd half. We lack structure and the set-up behind the ball is .... well there doesn't appear to be one. When the ball is turned over, as it was monotonously today, it resulted in easy goals. How many times did we hesitate and get mowed down?

Meek, Day, Scrim, Moore and maybe McKenzie can hold there head up.

It's just one game and we don't want to get too despondent but the coaches need to get to work on the game plan because I'm struggling to see what it actually is.

Not that this matters right now, but Swans will play off this year I reckon. They are sharp with the footy and the academy talent is overflowing.

I’m still throwing up in response to our ball use today.

Makes it tough too when one of our main rivals during those years 14/15 has the ability to get priority access to guys like Heeney and Mills while they are contending. Seeing the follow on effect of that now
Yep, it's pretty disgusting actually. We were our own worst enemy, but the current system is spiraling out of control. The more success these academies have, the more young players will join and on it goes. I applaud the success of the national game, but resent the position it will put many clubs in should it continue.

Sure Sydney are the far better team but it's more than that. We often looked disorganised out there and the decision making, especially the f50 entries, was atrocious. Sydney defenders were doing as they liked and it was training drill for Sydney in the 2nd half. We lack structure and the set-up behind the ball is .... well there doesn't appear to be one. When the ball is turned over, as it was monotonously today, it resulted in easy goals. How many times did we hesitate and get mowed down?

Meek, Day, Scrim, Moore and maybe McKenzie can hold there head up.

It's just one game and we don't want to get too despondent but the coaches need to get to work on the game plan because I'm struggling to see what it actually is.
Seems like the gameplan is handball around until we get called for holding the ball or turnover

Because if I have to play for a bottom three side I'd probably choose to play for the one that offers me the most $$ and is coached by someone who doesnt seem to hold me to different levels of performance than the rest of the playing group.

Yes, sure Scrimmers made a mistake with his kick in red time but cripes he was hardly the only Hawks player to make a s....y kick today yet he was the only one to cop a spray in public (that I saw).

Trust me, players remember that kind of thing.
Sounds like you’ll be supporting the Kangas from 2025 and beyond then?

The backline has gone backwards under Kade, the midfield has gone backwards under Hale and players are collectively making simple mistakes that shouldn't be continued week on week. Too many back office changes in one off season for a young group is what will get Sam crucified long term.

We get into the game on pressure and lose it because we make to many errors, unfortunately, either the players need to be cleaner or we need better players. Personally think it's the coaches now because the message isn't getting through and the skills aren't improving and the poor decisions are repeated.

Umpiring was a disgrace on both sides, but that's the least of our worries.

This coaching is working in box hill games. Sydney2 looke potent in Q1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back