Autopsy Round 7, 2024: Port Adelaide v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't remember seeing more players s**t themselves with ball in hand than last night. Our decision making was poor, and we looked slow again, across the ground and in our reaction times. We desperately need some soldiers back to refresh the group - fingers crossed the boys playing VFL in the next week or 2 come up ok.

We need a points system for Pou - he gets a point for doing something sublime, but loses one when he gives a 2m handball to a teammate who immediately gets wrapped up. Not sure he would have broken even this year?
Another night of under 10's swarming around the with zero set up outside the contest.

Another night of 1 metre handballs to players under pressure

Another night of hacking kicks out of the contest

And when we do get clearances - another night of forwards not leading at the kicker. (Although that's understandable since most of them can't hit the side of a barn)
Couldn't agree more.

Another sign of an immature side is how we tackle. Saints swarm 3+ players at the ball carrier (no communication) and can't stick their tackles (conditioning/experience).

We swarm and swarm frantically, leaving the opposition with free players on the outside to cut us up.

He's a player who stands out more both in a win or loss because his kicking off half back and skill execution is so important. He has had a couple of soft moments he would like to have back in the last couple of weeks

Teams are probably putting time into him knowing that he's most of our drive off HB.

Stocker is covering for 2 of the softest defenders going around. You're approaching cairnsman territory when it comes to him.

Stocker is a bit of an uneven type. Can do amazing hit up kicks and can be error riddled. I'd persist with him as a mid. Think he looked okay on ball. Need to find some lock down small defenders still. Maybe Paton could still make it.

So sick of watching us play a sh*tty brand of error filled football.

I love the Saints, but I also love footy. Watching us play the game is not a pleasant experience.

This might sound petty, but I can't believe I chose this year to blow nearly 2k on memberships.

I have zero desire to go and watch us play. I have even less desire to take my girlfriend or my sons to a game.

The lack of home games has got me out of the habit off going. I don't feel any need to attend this year. They only sent one of my codes for the Dogs game and saved me from seeing that fortunately.

Stocker is a bit of an uneven type. Can do amazing hit up kicks and can be error riddled. I'd persist with him as a mid. Think he looked okay on ball. Need to find some lock down small defenders still. Maybe Paton could still make it.
Stocker has played his best footy not a the small defender. Hopefully see a better Stocker when Webster comes back in.

It’s the little moments that have cost us games this year (except the Dogs game which was just awful). Poor decision making and/or execution.
Last night it was:
Bonners kick into the middle…Port goal.
Hills kick into the middle…Port goal.
Douglas no look handball over his head…Port goal.
Wilkie not pushing back off the mark, getting himself into trouble, handball to Sinclair under pressure, gets pinged holding ball…Port set shot miss.
10 point loss, that’s the ball game there.
The handballs to players under pressure. Pou guilty a couple of times.
If we can weed these out we pinch 2-3 of those narrow losses

25 now and consistently gone to games since 5 with my old man. I cycle between drinking the cool aid about our young core with the standards being improved under Ross and thinking it’s just another false dawn.

I guess I should be circumspect like a Ross presser and find the silver lining. It’s certainly a challenge being a saints fan and I’m sure that won’t change. A good mate of mine is a north fan and he’s started to go watch storm with his old man to try and get some enjoyment out of Melbourne live sport. It’s tempting to be honest, even though I don’t really like NRL outside of origin or a final.

In the end I’ll still lurk the forum, google st kilda under news and look for some positives. It doesn’t get easier as time goes on though. In the post draw years as we rebuilt I had confidence in our kids. I have similar confidence now but I wonder if it’s just the same scenario where you see what you want to see and hope for outcomes that will fit your preferred view of the club.

Probably plenty of waffle above, but it does ware on you, even if it’s been waring on me for a shorter time than some of the faithful.

The weird thing is you never really know where you sit. Richmond mates were as pessimistic about their side as any fans on earth. They went on to win three premierships with that side. I remember Hawks smashing us in the finals and Gehrig and a bunch of other stars retiring and thinking that was the end of an era and the start of a rebuild. Played in GFs the next 2 years.

GWS were going to win 10 premierships in a row with their talent pool and they still haven't won one. Cats have been cooked for the last 18 years. Just try not to let them ruin your week. It's only entertainment.

There's some merit to that.
Stocks to mid
Jimmy in
Patto in
Bonner out

I want more of Hastie though. The kid's got something.

It’s the little moments that have cost us games this year (except the Dogs game which was just awful). Poor decision making and/or execution.
Last night it was:
Wilkie not pushing back off the mark, getting himself into trouble, handball to Sinclair under pressure, gets pinged holding ball…Port set shot miss.

Probably should have been a couple more goal chances our way that umpires took off us. We were in that game. Footy is about causing turn over through pressure. You'll never iron that stuff out completely but skills training and experience should limit panic mistakes.

There's some merit to that.
Stocks to mid
Jimmy in
Patto in
Bonner out

I want more of Hastie though. The kid's got something.

Yeah, I like Hastie, he turned over every kick but his movement and energy looked like he's worth persisting with. He reminded me of Sammy Gilbert the way he moves. A better kicking Gilbert would have been a superstar.

One of his misdirected kicks he chased down and turned the ball back our way. Loved it.

I would be putting up some big names for trade to get some high draft picks before tassie come in. If we dont were stuffed. Lets face it this leadership group inst taking us too our next flag. Its about time we showed some balls instead of over rating our so called stars. Until there worth nothing.

Last night it was:
I feel like we're saying this every week though.

Kicking 60 pts a game doesn't give us the clear air to tolerate mistakes like that, which then magnifies the errors and probably ramps up the perceived pressure on the players.

Tbh this feels like 2007/8 era where every week was a slog whilst the team were learning, until the Ross way eventually started paying dividends. Difference being the quality of a grade talent he has at his disposal now is lacking compared to then

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So I have had the night to think about it and my takeaways are:

- We have some dumb footballers that make silly decisions... I get the gameplan is to run and gun, but aimlessly kicking or handballing over the back of your head, or playing on to a bloke with 3 oppo players on him just shows either stupidity or lack of awareness.

- Windhager won't be superstar, but may be a lenny type. Will be reliable, and will always go for the hard ball and try his guts out

- Wilson... Just extend his contract now, he is the future

- Forwards.. Hammer isnt ready for the number one head honcho role right now, but will be in 2-3 years. Membrey last week and this week as the 'senior' forward did not stand up. Yes he got 3 goals last week but they were all junk time when we were 25 goals down... and last night he fumbled and dropped easy marks he should have taken. Think he is past it, but there is no one else to replace him.

- Umpires.... Most of those free kicks for Port were there last night BUT my issues lay with the fact that when infringed in exactly the same way, they were allergic to paying them for us. Just diabolical really, pay them all or pay none..

Anyway, I am eco now and will just sit back and watch the year fold out.

Ross was brought in to repair the damage that Richardson and Ratten did to the list (more so Richo than Ratts). You can tell by Ross’s comments that he is under no illusion as to where we are as a club. 10 years of poor recruiting and list management decisions are not going to be fixed in 18 months The last two drafts have been better than anything in the previous 10 years and I’m genuinely excited about some of the young talent on our list, and feel that under Ross, they will learn how to play football the right way. Unlike Ross’s first stint as coach, this time around he hasn’t inherited a list that includes absolute A-graders like Riewoldt, Hayes, Dalsanto, Montagna etc. This time around, Ross is building a list to deliver sustained success and has made it clear he has made the draft a priority.
Having said that, I’d really like to know what the hell Gubby Allan has done since being at the club? He hasn’t landed any ‘big fish’…..not even close. What are his KPI’s? For me, if he can’t bring in an A-grade during this off season, then it’s time for him to go.

Yeah, I like Hastie, he turned over every kick but his movement and energy looked like he's worth persisting with. He reminded me of Sammy Gilbert the way he moves. A better kicking Gilbert would have been a superstar.

One of his misdirected kicks he chased down and turned the ball back our way. Loved it.
Yeah that moment was exceptional. He's had a rough start subbing in late hot games with no room to move. Very Gilbertesk

Saints are a very young team and injuries have taken their toll this year. Things are definitely not as bad as what they appear. Of course, there is some dead wood to clear out and that will take place over the next couple of years. You really need to wait until the younger players have reached the 70-100 games mark.

Some of the negative commentary on here is as little ridiculous.

Last edited:
Ross was brought in to repair the damage that Richardson and Ratten did to the list (more so Richo than Ratts). You can tell by Ross’s comments that he is under no illusion as to where we are as a club. 10 years of poor recruiting and list management decisions are not going to be fixed in 18 months The last two drafts have been better than anything in the previous 10 years and I’m genuinely excited about some of the young talent on our list, and feel that under Ross, they will learn how to play football the right way. Unlike Ross’s first stint as coach, this time around he hasn’t inherited a list that includes absolute A-graders like Riewoldt, Hayes, Dalsanto, Montagna etc. This time around, Ross is building a list to deliver sustained success and has made it clear he has made the draft a priority.
Having said that, I’d really like to know what the hell Gubby Allan has done since being at the club? He hasn’t landed any ‘big fish’…..not even close. What are his KPI’s? For me, if he can’t bring in an A-grade during this off season, then it’s time for him to go.
100%
I think Dalrymple is part of the Gubby exit plan FWIW.

Another night of under 10's swarming around the with zero set up outside the contest.

Another night of 1 metre handballs to players under pressure

Another night of hacking kicks out of the contest

And when we do get clearances - another night of forwards not leading at the kicker. (Although that's understandable since most of them can't hit the side of a barn)
How was Bonners kick to 1on 3 on our defensive 50 to get the turnovers rolling and Dougals Blind handball over his head 20 meters out -have missed those -NOT

Pies game was the most favourable umpiring I can remember us ever receiving.

Could easily be 0-7.
Right, so the fact the we lost tonight by less than 2 kicks with Port being the beneficiary of some of the most ridiculously one-sided umpiring ever witnessed, we would be 1-6, according to your narrative??

Ross the boss is playing the kids getting games into them as he know we cant make finals so play kids then hit the draft and with extra dollars attack free agency so we will have a very good team. I think that is his stratergy now. Not a bad idea i think

Right now the midfield and forward half are between senior and VFL standard. The backline is ok, but is under continual pressure from the poor defensive work from the midfield and forwards- I don't think the forwards put any defensive pressure on at all last night. Caminiti did a couple of nice things but faded, and Owens and Membrey were making up numbers, plus nothing from much from Pou or Sharman. King's return will help, but he needs to be played high on forward line.
We can't kick enough goals to win games basically

The forward pressure has become a real problem I noticed during the dogs game too. We’ve really dropped off in that area. I hope Hayes and Collard gets runs soon to see if they can bring us some heat back up there. None of our current forwards do it naturally.

Saints are a very young team and injuries have taken their toll this year. Things are definitely not as bad as what they appear. Of course, there is some dead wood to clear out and that will take place over the next couple of years. You really need to wait until the younger players have reached the 70-100 games mark.

Some of the negative commentary on here as being ridiculous.
I reckon some people think the only way to react to a loss is propose we trade all our good players and declare we are destined for the bottom 4.

I would be putting up some big names for trade to get some high draft picks before tassie come in. If we dont were stuffed. Lets face it this leadership group inst taking us too our next flag. Its about time we showed some balls instead of over rating our so called stars. Until there worth nothing.
Big names ay. Steele, Marshall, Wilkie, Sinclair?
Who goes??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back