VFL Round 13, 2018: Port Melbourne v Sandringham - North Port Oval, Saturday 30th June, 2:00PM AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Ease up fellas, I think he just is talking about people playing in the positions that his inclusions also play in - like who would be coming out so his guys could come in.
Are you talking about Cooperg ?

That is a very very simplistic view.
The person in the ruck is providing something no one else can. We can have midfielders rack up possessions but only the ruckman can win hitouts and give our midfielders best service.

Hickey can gather as many possessions as he wants, but if he cant win a hitout or have any hitouts to advantage then he is useless as a ruckman.

The person in the ruck is providing something no one else can. We can have midfielders rack up possessions but only the ruckman can win hitouts and give our midfielders best service.

Hickey can gather as many possessions as he wants, but if he cant win a hitout or have any hitouts to advantage then he is useless as a ruckman.
Yeh I mean it’s pretty damning that hickey can’t win a hit out when he’s averaging more hit outs than Billy this year, all whilst getting 10 more possesions a game and has even kicked a few goals.
But yeh we won the clearances against a Gold Coast side that literally has no midfield when Billy was ruck so I guess we should look at that as to why he’s a better ruck.
And yeh we can have midfielders rack up numbers, why would we not want our ruckman doing that if he’s capable too?
Gawn and Grundy are rated the best rucks not only for their tap work but because of what they offer around the ground. Billy’s type of ruckman will be dead within a few years.

Yeh I mean it’s pretty damning that hickey can’t win a hit out when he’s averaging more hit outs than Billy this year, all whilst getting 10 more possesions a game and has even kicked a few goals.
But yeh we won the clearances against a Gold Coast side that literally has no midfield when Billy was ruck so I guess we should look at that as to why he’s a better ruck.
And yeh we can have midfielders rack up numbers, why would we not want our ruckman doing that if he’s capable too?
Gawn and Grundy are rated the best rucks not only for their tap work but because of what they offer around the ground. Billy’s type of ruckman will be dead within a few years.
Have to agree. Hickey is averaging more hitouts. Not all go to advantage but he is also a good clearance player. Yep it's probably a Maryanne or Ginger thing as to who you prefer, but to say Billy is a superior tap ruckman is not quite the whole story

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180630-174819_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20180630-174819_Chrome.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 97
Have to agree. Hickey is averaging more hitouts. Not all go to advantage but he is also a good clearance player. Yep it's probably a Maryanne or Ginger thing as to who you prefer, but to say Billy is a superior tap ruckman is not quite the whole story
I always had a thing for Mrs. Howell, personally. Always liked the more "mature" ladies.

Then play Hickey as a tall mid. Blicavs style.

From the VFL site .....

Sandringham

Goal Kickers:J. Bruce 3, T. Lamb 3, J. Lonie 2, N. Wright 2, D. Minchington 2, B. Seccull 2, J. Haidon 2, R. Marshall, D. Langlands, S. Gilbert, E. Phillips, R. Connellan

Best Players:T. Hickey, N. Wright, J. Lonie, S. Gilbert, D. Minchington, L. Austin

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your comparing 3 games of Billy's (one with he only played a half and the other which it was admitted he was very under done) to a string of games from a fully fit ruckman. If you want a more accurate comparison, you should look at Hickey's form this year to Billy's 2017.

Hickey 14.3 disposals, 24.6 hitouts
Longer 9.3 disposals, 38.6 hitouts.

Does Hickey's 5 more disposals provide more to the team than Billy's 12 more hitouts? Considering our midfield looks so much better when Longer is our starting ruckman than Hickey, I would suggest his 5 disposals don't.

Gawn and Grundy are able to combine their dominant tap work with their around the ground presence. The reason they are so good is because they are able to influence the contest with both aspects of their game. But tap work is the most important part - look at Bellchambers, he gets Billy-esque possession numbers but his ruck work has been essential to Essendon's recent form.

Your comparing 3 games of Billy's (one with he only played a half and the other which it was admitted he was very under done) to a string of games from a fully fit ruckman. If you want a more accurate comparison, you should look at Hickey's form this year to Billy's 2017.

Does Hickey's 5 more disposals provide more to the team than Billy's 12 more hitouts? Considering our midfield looks so much better when Longer is our starting ruckman than Hickey, I would suggest his 5 disposals don't.

Gawn and Grundy are able to combine their dominant tap work with their around the ground presence. The reason they are so good is because they are able to influence the contest with both aspects of their game. But tap work is the most important part - look at Bellchambers, he gets Billy-esque possession numbers but his ruck work has been essential to Essendon's recent form.

At the start of the year, Longer was as bad as Hickey was last year. He was actually embarrassing.

In other words;
Let me twist some stats to suit my argument.

Hahaha yeh let’s hope Billy can strive to the greatness of TOM BELLCHAMBERS.

Fact is Billy can never get the ball, Hickey can. There is more chance Hickey combining both assets than there is Billy.
Would rather Tom in the team everyday of the week.

In other words;
Let me twist some stats to suit my argument.

Hahaha yeh let’s hope Billy can strive to the greatness of TOM BELLCHAMBERS.

Fact is Billy can never get the ball, Hickey can. There is more chance Hickey combining both assets than there is Billy.
Would rather Tom in the team everyday of the week.
Yes, because comparing the stats of the two ruckman from when they have both been fit and playing extended periods is twisting stats.

Yes, because comparing the stats of the two ruckman from when they have both been fit and playing extended periods is twisting stats.
Well we’re talking about who should be in the side right now, so let’s use the stats they’re putting out, right now.
Billy is averaging 4 disposals a game, and the amount of hit outs he’s winning would mean that he would get beaten by 16 other ruckman in the league.
So considering hit outs is Billy’s best (and only) asset, what’s plan B when against 15 other ruckman (Hickey wins more too as I said earlier) he is getting beaten in the ruck?
At least when Hickey is getting beaten he has the ability to impact around the ground.
This argument has been done to death, I know who id rather have, you have who you’d rather have. Let’s leave it at that.

Well we’re talking about who should be in the side right now, so let’s use the stats they’re putting out, right now.
Billy is averaging 4 disposals a game, and the amount of hit outs he’s winning would mean that he would get beaten by 16 other ruckman in the league.
So considering hit outs is Billy’s best (and only) asset, what’s plan B when against 15 other ruckman (Hickey wins more too as I said earlier) he is getting beaten in the ruck?
At least when Hickey is getting beaten he has the ability to impact around the ground.
This argument has been done to death, I know who id rather have, you have who you’d rather have. Let’s leave it at that.
Your using a three game sample for Billys stats - one where he only played a half, one where it has been revealed he was severely underdone and one where he was clearly our best choice choice. Thats not giving a genuine picture of what he offer at AFL level.

If its been done to death why bang on about it so hard?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back