Analysis School and SANFL Juniors

Remove this Banner Ad

DaKids

All Australian
May 18, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hello

As some will know I follow school and junior footy more than AFL although of late with COVID, I’ve looked more closely at the seniors.

With the moderators approval I’m starting this subject as a place to discuss U16, U18 and School footy. Of course most of the interest will be in potential draftees, so there may be some crossover. Some will be too young for drafting though but worth tracking. See how it goes I suppose.

I’ll kick things off with a few lads to watch in the upcoming school season.

Rostrevor College: there are 2 boys that are likely to make an impression here. Will Rowlands and Jacob Newton (both Norwood). Jacob played some 1sts last year as a year 9.

PAC: doubtless Kane McAuliffe ( North) will be very good.

Sacred Heart: will be just about untouchable this year with most of their strong team from last year still there: Kobe Ryan (Westies) the one to watch and will be in draft contention too. Jaiden Magor (South) one to watch but not sure if still at school. Draft year though.

Saints: Jett Hastings (Eagles) another to watch - was playing 1sts last year as a year 9.

Westminster - Mutineer, help me out please? There is a lad down there who made a big splash last year and can’t recall his name. Kicked a bucket of goals while rucking - indigenous boy if I recall.

Anyway that’s about it for now, but I and others can use this to talk about all issues, results, players etc

Thank you

Hello

As some will know I follow school and junior footy more than AFL although of late with COVID, I’ve looked more closely at the seniors.

With the moderators approval I’m starting this subject as a place to discuss U16, U18 and School footy. Of course most of the interest will be in potential draftees, so there may be some crossover. Some will be too young for drafting though but worth tracking. See how it goes I suppose.

I’ll kick things off with a few lads to watch in the upcoming school season.

Rostrevor College: there are 2 boys that are likely to make an impression here. Will Rowlands and Jacob Newton (both Norwood). Jacob played some 1sts last year as a year 9.

PAC: doubtless Kane McAuliffe ( North) will be very good.

Sacred Heart: will be just about untouchable this year with most of their strong team from last year still there: Kobe Ryan (Westies) the one to watch and will be in draft contention too. Jaiden Magor (South) one to watch but not sure if still at school. Draft year though.

Saints: Jett Hastings (Eagles) another to watch - was playing 1sts last year as a year 9.

Westminster - Mutineer, help me out please? There is a lad down there who made a big splash last year and can’t recall his name. Kicked a bucket of goals while rucking - indigenous boy if I recall.

Anyway that’s about it for now, but I and others can use this to talk about all issues, results, players etc

Thank you

Thanks mate - Westminster - Anthony Munkara. Not sure if he’s at school still this year, and if not where he’ll be?

CBC - Tom Scully.

Would be going into Year 12 I believe, will be interesting to see how he tracks this year in all competitions. It probably is a shame he doesn't play for a Div 1 college because that is where you see a majority of the best talent and you would also see how he stacks up against them. Will be interesting never the less.

CBC - Tom Scully.

Would be going into Year 12 I believe, will be interesting to see how he tracks this year in all competitions. It probably is a shame he doesn't play for a Div 1 college because that is where you see a majority of the best talent and you would also see how he stacks up against them. Will be interesting never the less.
Do you know his SANFL team?

With the U16 and U18 comps set to kick off this week end, worth noting the SANFL will this year be extending the talent hub to include an U16 camp in April.

Will be very handy to see a collection of our top U16’s in one select group.

U16 is an excellent comp and gives watchers the ground floor opportunity to track kids that will hit the draft at the end of 2024.

With the U16 and U18 comps set to kick off this week end, worth noting the SANFL will this year be extending the talent hub to include an U16 camp in April.

Will be very handy to see a collection of our top U16’s in one select group.

U16 is an excellent comp and gives watchers the ground floor opportunity to track kids that will hit the draft at the end of 2024.
One smokey to watch for PAC this year in the U16s is Jay Polkinghorne currently home with the Rona but has some real skills and flair.

One smokey to watch for PAC this year in the U16s is Jay Polkinghorne currently home with the Rona but has some real skills and flair.
Yeah have heard the name mentioned around the traps, he's the lad that kicks bags of goals in the junior ranks over on the west coast? What SANFL club is he tied to zone wise?

Yeah have heard the name mentioned around the traps, he's the lad that kicks bags of goals in the junior ranks over on the west coast? What SANFL club is he tied to zone wise?
I’m pretty sure he’s from Ceduna and boarding at PAC - which would have him at the Redlegs. I’ve been annoying a mate down there about Jack M so can add Jay to the list ha ha ha

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Indeed this is an excellent pick up as I’ve just learned young Jay is lining up for Norwood against Westies on Saturday.

Evidently is quite big lad but extremely agile so can play as a tall midfield or key. They rate him as prob 2nd best there outside Jacob Newton from Rostrevor who I mentioned earlier - so Jay is definitely one to watch.

Thank you and this is the very reason I started this one, in the hope we’d Hoover up all the names we could

Indeed this is an excellent pick up as I’ve just learned young Jay is lining up for Norwood against Westies on Saturday.

Evidently is quite big lad but extremely agile so can play as a tall midfield or key. They rate him as prob 2nd best there outside Jacob Newton from Rostrevor who I mentioned earlier - so Jay is definitely one to watch.

Thank you and this is the very reason I started this one, in the hope we’d Hoover up all the names we could
I thought he was back here on the farm with covid but he may have finished his time by Saturday - your description is very accurate a decent size but super athletic - can take a grab and had been playing against men in 2021. Will definitely be keeping an eye on him.

His older brother was at Sacred Heart but I think may have picked up a trade.

Last edited:
Is there much of an arms race between the private schools in offering scholarships to talented footballers?
Not a race no I don’t think. PAC still a big player in the sports scholarships. St Peters abandoned them about 3 years ago. Matt Roberts was their last football scholarship, so they will voluntarily fall away.

Sacred Heart remain strong thanks largely to reputation as a footy factory and more affordable fees anyway, same with Rostrevor.

I do know for a fact PAC were warned to dial down the scholarships or other schools would refuse to play them.

Few things to share.

Tyson Roberts - Matt Roberts brother has just started at Saints. Under 16's at South as well I believe. Training with the First 18.
The Sacred Heart 10A team is absolutely chock full of talent - their best 22 is a 20 goal better side than any other school - so much so that last year they split into 2 evenish 10A teams and still beat everyone else albeit by not as much. Ned Atkinson is exceptionally good. The Camporaele twins are pretty handy as well.

Last edited:
Few things to share.

Tyson Roberts - Matt Roberts brother has just started at Saints. Under 16's at South as well I believe. Training with the First 18.
The Sacred Heart 10A team is absolutely chock full of talent - their best 22 is a 20 goal better side than any other school - so much so that last year they split into 2 evenish 10A teams and still beat everyone else albeit by not as much. Ned Atkins is exceptionally good. The Camporaele twins are pretty handy as well.
Wonderful contribution thank you so much. I had no idea we had a younger Roberts to track. Will keep my eye out at school game’s especially.

Lots of interest in the 16’s this season!

Also - probably more relevant to the NGA thread but also relevant to sanfl/juniors - the sanfl is in the process of doing their talent ID trials to nominate players for the AFL National Diversity Leadership program for Multicultural and Indigenous U15 boys and girls. Through these trials some have also found themselves in sanfl junior programs +/- NGA opportunities. Regional trials currently happening, metro trial next week

I see PAC's 1st XI cricket team made 418 off 40 overs against Rostrevor and won by about 300 runs

School sport not the most level playing field at present!
It’s certainty not and PAC are under the microscope because of these kind of results.

Few things to share.

The Sacred Heart 10A team is absolutely chock full of talent - their best 22 is a 20 goal better side than any other school - so much so that last year they split into 2 evenish 10A teams and still beat everyone else albeit by not as much. Ned Atkins is exceptionally good. The Camporaele twins are pretty handy as well.
I do recall you alerting me to young Jett Hastings at Saints/Eagles last year so watching him closely. Did some nice things in 1sts last year.

U16 Eagles have been in barnstorming pre season form and look like being the team to beat - Jett hopefully in for a good year

Wonderful contribution thank you so much. I had no idea we had a younger Roberts to track. Will keep my eye out at school game’s especially.

Lots of interest in the 16’s this season!
I know you watch predominantly first VIII however if you get an opportunity to watch the Sacred Heart 10A's then its worth it - although I dont know how many of their absolute guns will play First VIII. This under 15/16/ year 9/10 cohort across the state is actually incredibly strong in both football and cricket. Hopefully the development continues up to draft age

Remove this Banner Ad

Back