2nds Which SANFL club do you support?

Which SANFL club do you most identify with?

• Central District

• Glenelg

• North Adelaide

• Norwood

• Port Adelaide

• South Adelaide

• Sturt

• West Adelaide

• Woodville-West Torrens

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

My Great Grandfather came across from Hawthorn in Melbourne, to work at the gasworks at Brompton in 1921, with his family, including my 6 month old Poppa in tow. They became West Torrens supporters and my Poppa was there for the first premiership in 1924 and was there for 1933, 1945, 1953, 1993 and 2006!

On my Nanna’s side, they were all West Torrens supporters since the start, having settled in Torrensville from the mid north from the early days. She’d use blue and gold pegs only on the clothes line.

So on Dad’s side, everyone was West Torrens. Mum was from Sydney, so that made it easy!

With the merger in 1991, I think many West Torrens supporters jumped on to the Crows, leaving the merged club behind.

I turned 9 the day West Torrens played their last game and was happy to follow the new Eagles in the SANFL as well as the Crows in the AFL. Up until about 10 years ago I’d attend mainly Eagles games and watch Crows on TV. Now it’s opposite.

My heart is with both in the different competitions. I can’t stand the Crows Reserves (and Port) being in the SANFL. I can’t see a way the Eagles could still be the Eagles in the AFL. The merger was enough of a thinning of the club I was born into, but if they were to join as they are now, I’d cheer them on to beat everyone, including the Crows.

I'd imagine that not many under 30 would be posting in this thread, perhaps only those with family members playing/heavily involved in the SANFL system.

I was a keen Legs supporter, still went to a couple of games each year, but even that stopped about 5 years ago. I would imagine SANFL interest will continue to drop away as the older generation die off - I can't see the younger generation filling their spots.

Now I'm more involved in my local side - Goody Saints, real grassroots footy.

I support Sturt but having been born in the Crows era its a pretty mild support to say the least

S T U R T ..... Double blues double doubles!
Probably only get to 2 or 3 games a year.
Born and bred in the heart of Port Adelaide too. So was my Dad, he grew up barracking for Sturt so Naturally i followed.
Very lucky, cos if he followed his Dad and 99.9% of the family he would have been a port fan. phew!

Westies. But not that closely these days. Keep an eye on scores etc and how they are tracking but don’t go anymore. Used to go most weeks as a kid, spent plenty of time with the players after games - remember the 1983 celebrations very well (was well under drinking age)

Essentially just the Crows now though

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I always have been WT and now WWT. The amalgamation in my opinion has been good. WT was dying. Since then we have had 5 premierships and too many GF big dance losses in 30 years and always about the mark. Better than the Crows. I would hate to be SA. 1964 since last win.

Sturt supporter since the early 1970's & continue to follow them.

Had the 1974 and 1976 premierships team posters up on the wall. Was obsessed with the club - knew all the players and the numbers they wore (even the Ressies). Wore number 19 when I played as Michael Graham was my favourite player.

Being from the country (and playing footy myself on a Saturday), it was hard to get to games in Adelaide to watch - but one of the first ones I saw at Unley Oval was early 1978 when we beat Port by 97 points. I distinctly remember not being able to move as the crowd was jammed into Unley oval......

As for the rest of the family,

Mum; West Torrens
Dad; South Adelaide
3 (out of 4) of my brothers; Port. Two of them actually played for Port 'colts'' (under 17's?) back in the late 60's..
Other brother - Glenelg

Glad I didnt follow the majority.....

Last edited:
To summarise - i've never really given a s*** about SANFL

This. Grew up in the 90s/2000s and don't remember anyone at school or early adult life talking about the SANFL, let alone actively following a team. It was between Crows, Port or having zero interest in football entirely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gees, a lot of West sufferers in here
Another Bloods supporter here. If I have one regret in life, it's listening to my father tell me my great grand uncle won a Magarey. Spoke to Doug Thomas about him when I was a kid and grew an attachment from there.

But it's not all bad, 2016 was an impressive effort after 2015!

On CPH1903 using BigFooty.com mobile app

3 according to the vote. ;) Maybe scared to acknowledge their support.:think:
Never. Do people understand that a West or South supporter is just as deeply loving of their club as anyone? Grew up and played juniors for Westies. Peter Meuret still one of the most intelligent footballers to play the game - Kerls, Luders Lindner, Mickan and his 2015 premiership, Rankine, Roo, RAy Hayes, Jim Buckley and DAVID GURNEY! How could anyone be scared of acknowledging all that!

Sturt from the golden years

The 1966 premiership side was probably the best team of all time

Premiership Team 1966
Forward:M.HillM.JonesR.Dunn
Half-Forward:B.MielsJ.HalbertJ.Tilbrook
Centre:D.HicksB.ShearmanT.Clarke
Half-Back:T.ShortP.NelsonB.Schwarz
Back:B.AdcockB.JarrettP.Bagshaw
Ruck:T.ClarksonK.ChessellR.Rigney
Reserves:J.MurphyB.Martin

Sturt…..obviously.
I’ve never been a member of anothe footy club and strongly doubt I ever will.
I missed the golden years of the 60’s and 70’s, first game was probably 79/80.
The joy I get from being a Sturt member and supporter far outweighs anything I get from the AFL. In fact following the AFL just makes me frustrated and angry so it’s small doses for me and I limit any AFL media to a bare minimum. I just can’t bring myself to consume the bullshit, lies and corruption anymore.

I see no sense in another SA AFL team at the moment, there’s barely enough money for two, I’d be conflicted if Sturt joined the AFL.

A day at an SANFL game is much more fun, relaxed and more pure footy experience for what I want from my footy.

I don’t understand people constantly saying it’s only older people who follow the SANFL, I was having a good look at the crowd at Unley last Saturday and there’s heaps of 20-30 year olds and heaps of kids, I just think it’s a very lazy thing to say with no real thought behind it…..bit like an eastern seaboard comedian with Adelaide jokes.

Back