2nds West Coast Eagles WAFL Watch 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Perth’s membership base is dead against it, and a few years ago voted to change their constitution to make it extremely difficult for an alignment to be approved.
Thank god neither of the members were busy that day or it could have gotten dicey.

IMG_7410.jpeg
IMG_7411.jpeg

Bring on the national reserves and let the WAFL stick to advertising about cheap chips and how good the nightlife is in Leedy after a game.

I’m sure the WAFL will be fine, who would want to put themself into the spotlight of a national comp when you could instead run out for the mighty City of Joondalup West Perth Falcons.

Cheers - as I said I am not WAFL fan and not aware of the background story.

But with what you have described I can only assume Eagles would likely walk away, and align with Port for a national reserves comp. And if they do that, I think they would cherry pick the best from the WAFL to be honest…

Those players won’t go and play for the Eagles. They want to win flags in a serious comp
Not fly around the country training in a reserves hit out

Thank god neither of the members were busy that day or it could have gotten dicey.

View attachment 1967791
View attachment 1967790

Bring on the national reserves and let the WAFL stick to advertising about cheap chips and how good the nightlife is in Leedy after a game.

I’m sure the WAFL will be fine, who would want to put themself into the spotlight of a national comp when you could instead run out for the mighty City of Joondalup West Perth Falcons.

So as you mentioned West Perth tell me which of their players would want to go and play for the Beagles? Our best 10 players are all over 26, none of them got drafted. They actually have a brain so they are not going to fall for the line you might still get drafted again.
So tell me, how are the Beagles going to get them to play for them?

Perth’s membership base is dead against it, and a few years ago voted to change their constitution to make it extremely difficult for an alignment to be approved.

They can’t have the same deal as Freo/Peel unless they’re given a “zone” of grassroots clubs to create colts and reserves lists from. And since every grassroots club in WA is currently zoned to one of the other nine WAFL clubs, that would mean cannibalising one or more WAFL clubs’ zones. Which would be extremely unpopular among the other WAFL clubs, particularly those that are losing part of their zone. And it wouldn’t be great for the grassroots clubs involved either, because the club wouldn’t have development of its grassroots zone as a high priority since it wouldn’t have any additional draft access to those players.
Peel gets only a extra $12,500 in the Tpp than the eagles which i would think is to retain some of their senior players from their zone.
Peel has an extra 10 points than the Eagles but that would be because they also run a reserves side in the Wafl and every local player playing league or reserves is worth one point.

So as you mentioned West Perth tell me which of their players would want to go and play for the Beagles? Our best 10 players are all over 26, none of them got drafted. They actually have a brain so they are not going to fall for the line you might still get drafted again.
It wouldn't be the players aged 26 and over that would be targeted. It would be the best of your youth leaving you with no up and coming stars.

Those players won’t go and play for the Eagles. They want to win flags in a serious comp
Not fly around the country training in a reserves hit out

Some might be interested in playing under the noses of AFL clubs and recruiters. Others might be more interested in playing with their mates and playing for WAFL flags.

Not sure why you’re making such blanket statements. There’s a de facto national reserves comp now and the teams in it don’t seem to have any dramas getting players.

Some might be interested in playing under the noses of AFL clubs and recruiters. Others might be more interested in playing with their mates and playing for WAFL flags.

Not sure why you’re making such blanket statements. There’s a de facto national reserves comp now and the teams in it don’t seem to have any dramas getting players.

For some reason you believe the VFL comp becoming national reserves will go up a tier in status and players will be running to join it?
It is still going to be just a development comp.
And you are right they won’t struggle to get players.

Pretty simple pay them. Reduce the size of main lists and increase the size considerably of the rookie lists. It will cost the AFL a few bucks but then they suddenly have another 9 games a week to stick on Fox, channel 7 and Kayo.

If the players get elevated to the main list due to injuries then they get paid even more.

It wouldn't be the players aged 26 and over that would be targeted. It would be the best of your youth leaving you with no up and coming stars.

The best youth will still be picked up at under 18’s and from there choose to either play WAFL and hopefully have done success or fill some holes in a reserves comp.

Pretty simple pay them. Reduce the size of main lists and increase the size considerably of the rookie lists. It will cost the AFL a few bucks but then they suddenly have another 9 games a week to stick on Fox, channel 7 and Kayo.

If the players get elevated to the main list due to injuries then they get paid even more.

Yes money will always win. Pay an average WAFL footballer 2-3k per game will be good for footy.

For some reason you believe the VFL comp becoming national reserves will go up a tier in status and players will be running to join it?
It is still going to be just a development comp.
And you are right they won’t struggle to get players.

I didn’t say it’d go up a tier in status. It’d probably be roughly equivalent.

I didn’t say players would be running to join it. I said some players would be interested, others wouldn’t.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The best youth will still be picked up at under 18’s and from there choose to either play WAFL and hopefully have done success or fill some holes in a reserves comp.
And your best 22 year olds will be playing in the VFL for clubs like Port, Adelaide and West Coast.

And your best 22 year olds will be playing in the VFL for clubs like Port, Adelaide and West Coast.

Maybe??? Time will tell. That does not seem to be the current trend. many of their kids that don’t get drafted actually give the game away and the ones that stay buy into their WAFL club. I am sure the AFL clubs will paint them a pretty picture but how many will jump at that I am not sure.

So at the moment i can watch any game wafl. sanfl vfl for free and you will take that away and want me to get a kayo subscription or foxtel. Tell him he's dreaming.

In saturdays game against Peel the beagles had 15 Afl listed players plus ex afl player Rusco.
Peel had 11 afl listed players plus delisted docker nathan wilson .Peel dropped two of their afl listed players from their team to make sure the balance of Dockers and Peel players were 11 each. Normally Max Knobel and Ollie Murphey would play in Peel's reserves team but because the Beagles have no reserves they didn't play.
Makes you think.Is Peels wafl players so much better than our AFL players.

AFL listed does not mean afl quality. Dewar doesn’t automatically elevate to being better than all other wafl players just because he is on a afl list.

That arguement is simplistic and has zero depth to it. How many players did peel have that come from amateurs? Zero. How many of those would get a game for peel? Zero.

Equalising situation of say Reid to Brodie just because they are on afl list is farcical really. So you can do as much thinking as you like.

That arguement is simplistic and has zero depth to it. How many players did peel have that come from amateurs? Zero.

At least one: Brody Wemm - played for South Mandurah 2019 to 2022, debuted for Peel last year at the age of 25.

How many from ammos did we have? Our top ups were Ruscoe (four seasons at Collingwood), Gillbee (played VFL with GWS while on their rookie list), Sparks (23 league games for East Perth), Lucassen (our leading goalscorer last year), Barker, Mouritz and Sambo.

The team we put out their was so strong we had to leave out our first player to 50 games (Hansen), our 2022 best and fairest (Creasey), our vice captain (Eastough) and some other mainstays (Mercer, McCarthy etc).

There’s no way that side should be losing by 11 goals. That’s not on the WAFL, that’s on us.

greatwhiteshark are you a Falcons supporter in the WAFL? If so, what do you make of Scaife as an AFL prospect? Sounds like he’s put on bulk since his draft year.

Jasper is a work in progress mate, and he definitely has some potential to get on a list going forward.
Still gets a bit lost out on the ground but he is contributing and that’s a credit to him and the coaches who are backing him in.

At least one: Brody Wemm - played for South Mandurah 2019 to 2022, debuted for Peel last year at the age of 25.

How many from ammos did we have? Our top ups were Ruscoe (four seasons at Collingwood), Gillbee (played VFL with GWS while on their rookie list), Sparks (23 league games for East Perth), Lucassen (our leading goalscorer last year), Barker, Mouritz and Sambo.

The team we put out their was so strong we had to leave out our first player to 50 games (Hansen), our 2022 best and fairest (Creasey), our vice captain (Eastough) and some other mainstays (Mercer, McCarthy etc).

There’s no way that side should be losing by 11 goals. That’s not on the WAFL, that’s on us.

You are looking at top end, but it is the weak areas that get carved up.

Sure, get your hands on it first and if opposition don’t have it, then what’s the problem! Why not then just play with 15 on the field instead of 18.

From what I saw, turnovers from ammos are very high and you don’t need a lot of turnovers before score blows out. Strength of the team is subjective when you have guys that are on managed minutes and out there to get fitness. No doubt there are other eagles players who are not wafl ready.

Look not a wafl expert, but chuck in 6 wafl gener players into Collingwood afl side and let’s see how they go in afl.

You are looking at top end, but it is the weak areas that get carved up.

Sure, get your hands on it first and if opposition don’t have it, then what’s the problem! Why not then just play with 15 on the field instead of 18.

From what I saw, turnovers from ammos are very high and you don’t need a lot of turnovers before score blows out. Strength of the team is subjective when you have guys that are on managed minutes and out there to get fitness. No doubt there are other eagles players who are not wafl ready.

Look not a wafl expert, but chuck in 6 wafl gener players into Collingwood afl side and let’s see how they go in afl.

What’s the solution to that? We’re never going to have a situation where we’re going to have 15 AFL listed players and 7 top flight WAFL players making up the side.

The existing WAFL clubs have to regularly promote guys from their reserves or colts who might not be up to the level yet. How is that any different from us playing a handful of players who have come from ammos?

What’s the solution to that? We’re never going to have a situation where we’re going to have 15 AFL listed players and 7 top flight WAFL players making up the side.

The existing WAFL clubs have to regularly promote guys from their reserves or colts who might not be up to the level yet. How is that any different from us playing a handful of players who have come from ammos?

Correct, two weeks ago West Perth had 15 unavailable players from their league and reserves squad. Reserves kicked just one goal and got smashed and League lost also. Injuries kill all clubs not just the WCE.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back