2nds West Coast Eagles WAFL Watch 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Coming off a win, plenty of players available, good chance to set the tone for tonight and continue the momentum.

Nope. Awful effort, fitting result. Harry Edwards getting angry after Peel's goals about the only sign of anyone caring all day.

PEEL 18.15 123 def. WEST COAST 7.13 55

From best to worst, but not really...

Zane Trew: 27 disposals, 2 marks, 6 tackles, 1 i50, 0.1
Best on for us. Showed some composure, played a hand in most of our scoring chains. A decent chance of a call up.

Harvey Johnston: 18 disposals, 4 marks, 2 tackles, 4 i50s
Quickly becoming one of the more promising players on the list. A good user with footy smarts, stood out whenever he touched it.

Liam Ryan: 17 disposals, 2 marks, 5 tackles, 5 i50s, 0.1
Probably did enough to be called up next week. Was too casual with many of his disposals, but his tackling pressure was good.

Jamaine Jones: 22 disposals, 2 marks, 5 tackles, 2 i50s
Turned the ball over consistently, though did try to provide some dash and did some decent defensive things first half.

Harry Edwards: 17 disposals, 4 marks, 1 tackle
Held up okay against the flood of Peel attacks. Showed some passion, but a bog average player really.

Jordyn Baker: 19 disposals, 8 marks, 1 tackle
His stats look okay, but if you told me he was a top up player out there I'd honestly believe you.

Andrew Gaff: 17 disposals, 8 marks, 3 tackles, 2 i50s
2 inside 50s really isn't enough for a player of his experience in the role he's in. Very little impact on the game.

Tyrell Dewar: 9 disposals, 5 marks, 2 tackles, 1 i50, 1.0
Thought he hassled well all day but didn't see much of it.

Loch Rawlinson: 8 disposals, 4 marks, 2 tackles, 2 i50s, 1.0
See: Dewar.

Clay Hall: 17 disposals, 1 mark, 4 tackles, 1 i50, 0.1
Was poor today. You can't afford to fumble as an inside mid and he did it all game.

Jai Culley: 10 disposals, 3 marks, 4 tackles, 3 i50s, 1.1
Very little impact on the game. Had some time in the midfield during the second half. Not sure what his AFL role could be.

Coby Burgiel: 12 disposals, 6 marks, 1 tackle
Looked okay when he touched it, but didn't touch it much. Disappeared after half time.

Harry Barnett: 3 disposals, 2 marks, 6 tackles, 5 HOs, 1 i50, 1.0
I give him credit for his tackling pressure, but it's because he's almost always second to the ball. Well beaten in the ruck yet again.

Coen Livingstone: 7 disposals, 1 mark, 3 tackles, 9 HOs
Looks pretty cumbersome. Had his colours lowered in the air.

Archer Reid: 3 disposals, 3 marks, 1 HO, 1 i50, 1.0
Kicked his first goal, but was barely sighted all day.

Coming off a win, plenty of players available, good chance to set the tone for tonight and continue the momentum.

Nope. Awful effort, fitting result. Harry Edwards getting angry after Peel's goals about the only sign of anyone caring all day.

PEEL 18.15 123 def. WEST COAST 7.13 55

From best to worst, but not really...

Zane Trew: 27 disposals, 2 marks, 6 tackles, 1 i50, 0.1
Best on for us. Showed some composure, played a hand in most of our scoring chains. A decent chance of a call up.

Harvey Johnston: 18 disposals, 4 marks, 2 tackles, 4 i50s
Quickly becoming one of the more promising players on the list. A good user with footy smarts, stood out whenever he touched it.

Liam Ryan: 17 disposals, 2 marks, 5 tackles, 5 i50s, 0.1
Probably did enough to be called up next week. Was too casual with many of his disposals, but his tackling pressure was good.

Jamaine Jones: 22 disposals, 2 marks, 5 tackles, 2 i50s
Turned the ball over consistently, though did try to provide some dash and did some decent defensive things first half.

Harry Edwards: 17 disposals, 4 marks, 1 tackle
Held up okay against the flood of Peel attacks. Showed some passion, but a bog average player really.

Jordyn Baker: 19 disposals, 8 marks, 1 tackle
His stats look okay, but if you told me he was a top up player out there I'd honestly believe you.

Andrew Gaff: 17 disposals, 8 marks, 3 tackles, 2 i50s
2 inside 50s really isn't enough for a player of his experience in the role he's in. Very little impact on the game.

Tyrell Dewar: 9 disposals, 5 marks, 2 tackles, 1 i50, 1.0
Thought he hassled well all day but didn't see much of it.

Loch Rawlinson: 8 disposals, 4 marks, 2 tackles, 2 i50s, 1.0
See: Dewar.

Clay Hall: 17 disposals, 1 mark, 4 tackles, 1 i50, 0.1
Was poor today. You can't afford to fumble as an inside mid and he did it all game.

Jai Culley: 10 disposals, 3 marks, 4 tackles, 3 i50s, 1.1
Very little impact on the game. Had some time in the midfield during the second half. Not sure what his AFL role could be.

Looked okay when he touched it, but didn't touch it much. Disappeared after half time.

Harry Barnett: 3 disposals, 2 marks, 6 tackles, 5 HOs, 1 i50, 1.0
I give him credit for his tackling pressure, but it's because he's almost always second to the ball. Well beaten in the ruck yet again.

Coen Livingstone: 7 disposals, 1 mark, 3 tackles, 9 HOs
Looks pretty cumbersome. Had his colours lowered in the air.

Archer Reid: 3 disposals, 3 marks, 1 HO, 1 i50, 1.0
Kicked his first goal, but was barely sighted all day.

Thanks for the detailed stats. Do you had Ruscoe stats?

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for the detailed stats. Do you had Ruscoe stats?

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com
15 touches and a couple of goals. Was solid.

I'd tend towards taking a talented youngster in MSD if we have a pick but he wouldn't be the worst on our list if we picked him up.

God, that sounds concerning...
He's not injured again, surely?
I Hope Please GIF

Kinda sad that Hall is seemingly quite far away from AFL quality, seemed like he was pushing for a round 1 debut before his ankle injury.
Expected a lot more from him already.
Thankfully there is plenty of time for him to iron out the kinks in his game.
Even though our midfield is doing great, we don't have any depth available atm with Hewett still in rehab, and I was hoping he would be an option.

Kinda sad that Hall is seemingly quite far away from AFL quality, seemed like he was pushing for a round 1 debut before his ankle injury.
Even though our midfield is doing great, we don't have any depth available atm with Hewett still in rehab, and I was hoping he would be an option.
The depth that we thought Hall would be has been filled by Johnston.

He may not be 'inside' atm but he looks a slippery customer to me who could be genuine inside-outside in a few years time.

Hall is as in and under as you will get. Getting absolutely butthumped in the hitouts is poison to to the gamestyle he plays ultimately.

Id be happy to play Hall come the end of the year to see how he goes at AFL level where as a team we seem to have more contested football opportunities

So for the watchers of WAFL/Beagles what is the best scenario for the Eagles?

Port is threatening to leave the SANFL and breakaway to 2nd vAFL reserves comp. Eagles contract will finish, do we renew the deal with the WAFL or do we look to go the Port route?

I know the current deal has a lot constraints built in already, and I confess I don’t follow the WAFL at all.

But it does seem the current structure is an issue and alignment would be better….having colts, reserves and real club feel all the way through to the Eagles AFL list.

At a minimum we should have the same rules as Peel/Freo alignment rather than still having one tied behind our back making sure we’re not built for success. On the other side of the Colin walking our own path to the vAFL reserves we won’t have the current obstacles and can go all in development, maybe?

Must admit I was quite concerned about Barnett after Saturday’s game. Was just completely and utterly dominated by Reidy, lost almost every ruck contest in the third term when Peel were just waltzing it out of the centre. Outbodied and outplayed.

Kicked a late goal but his celebration (or lack there of) was telling. Looked absolutely gutted and just despondent by his facial expression. Could tell he was dismayed by his performance.

Not that I’m necessarily arguing for this model, but if we had an alignment it might’ve been ideal for a guy like Barnett to play Reserves level for a bit to gain some confidence. Instead he’s being thrown into the deep end and has been on the end of some drubbings in the ruck in the last couple of years. I guess he’s learning the hard way.

Thought he took some strides forward during this preseason and into the early rounds this year but this was a disappointing setback. Hoping this game hasn’t destroyed his confidence and he can get his form back on track.

I also saw Archer Reid grab at his strapped knee late in the game and jog off after landing awkwardly - hoped I just didn’t see it properly but it seems I wasn’t the only one who noticed it. Guess we’ll find out this week if there’s anything to worry about.

Given the 15 AFL-listed players out there, a very disappointing effort on Saturday. Not a great way for the Beagles to head into their bye.

I also saw Archer Reid grab at his strapped knee late in the game and jog off after landing awkwardly - hoped I just didn’t see it properly but it seems I wasn’t the only one who noticed it. Guess we’ll find out this week if there’s anything to worry about.
I thought he jogged off quite quickly as Barnett was lining up for the goal . No hint of a limp after that initial landing and little grab of his strapped knee . Was late in the 4th quarter . No doubt on fixed minutes so came off on a prescribed rotation

Remove this Banner Ad

Back