2nds West Coast Eagles WAFL Watch 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

In terms of team structure we are a probably too top heavy with Barnett, Livingston and Archer all playing in the 2's.

Without a reserves side, obviously need to play all 3.

We need to remember that Barnett is 19 at the beginning of his second year. Think back to Dean Cox and what he was like early on. His performance on the weekend, was pretty poor, but he is realistically 2 years away from being at the level. Hope he keeps taking strides this year and then becomes a solid WAFL ruck next year, with the aim to be playing regular senior footy in 2026.

Hall to me looks a very similar player to Sheed. Which isn't a bad thing, but has some limitations. Skills are okay, but he isn't super quick, fumbles at times and can be exposed defensively. Again a young guy working on his craft, and thankfully whilst our AFL mids are going well we don't need him to be playing, he can develop in the 2s.

Culley I dont think will make the grade. Obviously coming back from ACL, so he is still building, but looks very slow, reckless at times and just not sure he knows or the club knows where he is best suited to play. I hope I am wrong as his work ethic is clearly there.

Reidy has 3.5 years and probably 15kg on Barnett. And probably should be playing AFL somewhere, but he’s behind the most expensive ruck duo in the league.

Bit harsh to write Barnett off for losing that battle.

Didn't mean for that post to come across as writing him off, just a bit concerned about how his confidence levels would be after that game. He just looked particularly despondent after kicking his goal. I wouldn't have expected him to beat Reidy going in, but it was a very one-sided battle all day.

I'm still hopeful Barnett will become a quality ruck at some point, but I had hoped he'd be a bit further along by now. I guess you just have to show extra patience with these types. Hopefully the performance on the weekend hasn't discouraged him too much and he can build some confidence through the coming weeks.

The deadline for a decision on whether we want to contribute with a standalone WAFL side has been pushed back from May 1 to June 30 at our request

Of note is that if we decide to stay, the agreement would run through until the end of 2026

It does give us a chance to see any evidence that a standalone side can be more consistently competitive with better availability. So far this season we’ve had 1 good win and 3 disappointing losses which is hardly encouraging

I’m glad we’re taking time to make a decision because it’s a significant one in terms of player development as we rebuild. Probably the biggest decision of Pyke’s tenure so far

Link to full article below

Standalone side doesnt seem to work....current rules have set the Beagles up for failure rather than success because the WAFL clubs dont want the Beagles to succeed.

I am starting to think a national reserves would be a better outcome and allow us to actually use our capital to make it work with academy feeding into the 2's.

Port and Adelaide have been pushing the AFL for this in the last six months.

Reidy has 3.5 years and probably 15kg on Barnett. And probably should be playing AFL somewhere, but he’s behind the most expensive ruck duo in the league.

Bit harsh to write Barnett off for losing that battle.

And Max Knobel is playing reserves because of Reidy being ready to go at WAFL level. I think whilst Barnett is still better around the ground Knobel has more than overtaken him in the ruck and am very keen to try and get him on the cheap.

Standalone side doesnt seem to work....current rules have set the Beagles up for failure rather than success because the WAFL clubs dont want the Beagles to succeed.

I am starting to think a national reserves would be a better outcome and allow us to actually use our capital to make it work with academy feeding into the 2's.

Another incorrect post.

In terms of team structure we are a probably too top heavy with Barnett, Livingston and Archer all playing in the 2's.

Without a reserves side, obviously need to play all 3.

We need to remember that Barnett is 19 at the beginning of his second year. Think back to Dean Cox and what he was like early on. His performance on the weekend, was pretty poor, but he is realistically 2 years away from being at the level. Hope he keeps taking strides this year and then becomes a solid WAFL ruck next year, with the aim to be playing regular senior footy in 2026.

Hall to me looks a very similar player to Sheed. Which isn't a bad thing, but has some limitations. Skills are okay, but he isn't super quick, fumbles at times and can be exposed defensively. Again a young guy working on his craft, and thankfully whilst our AFL mids are going well we don't need him to be playing, he can develop in the 2s.

Culley I dont think will make the grade. Obviously coming back from ACL, so he is still building, but looks very slow, reckless at times and just not sure he knows or the club knows where he is best suited to play. I hope I am wrong as his work ethic is clearly there.

Dean Cox won the Simpson Medal in a grand final in his first year of senior wafl football… he isn’t a good comparison

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

How?

The rules for Beagles vs Freo/Peel vs the other clubs are different.

They have to be. The Eagles seconds have 19 AFL listed players they have access to. The other clubs do not have that luxury. Hence why the Beagles cannot have the same salary cap and have some minor recruiting restrictions.
Shouldn't you know this before posting the WAFL clubs are killing the Beagles?

You have contradicted yourself. You are a stand alone team now and if you join a AFl reserves comp you will still be a stand alone side with the same problems dealing with cat b players and managing players coming back from injury.
Most AFL teams are stand alone teams but at least three are alignments.
Just need to recruit some decent players who are Wafl standard. It is a Eagles problem
Peel have worked their alignment well and seem ok with the present system.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In saturdays game against Peel the beagles had 15 Afl listed players plus ex afl player Rusco.
Peel had 11 afl listed players plus delisted docker nathan wilson .Peel dropped two of their afl listed players from their team to make sure the balance of Dockers and Peel players were 11 each. Normally Max Knobel and Ollie Murphey would play in Peel's reserves team but because the Beagles have no reserves they didn't play.
Makes you think.Is Peels wafl players so much better than our AFL players.

You have contradicted yourself. You are a stand alone team now and if you join a AFl reserves comp you will still be a stand alone side with the same problems dealing with cat b players and managing players coming back from injury.
Just need to recruit some decent players who are Wafl standard. It is a Eagles problem
But Peel have a draft zone don’t they? If that’s correct, then comparing the Eagles and Dockers WAFL arrangements is apples and oranges.

Feel for Trew a bit cause I feel like he’d be relying on a few injuries to our side guys for him to get a call up. Not sure he has mich of an outside game really.

But Peel have a draft zone don’t they? If that’s correct, then comparing the Eagles and Dockers WAFL arrangements is apples and oranges.

Bingo.

People get too mesmerised comparing the quality of a teams best 5 or 6 players to determine how good sides stack up against each other, when in reality the key question should be which teams bottom six players, are the better quality, because more often than not, the side with the better bottom 6 players is the team that wins.

They have to be. The Eagles seconds have 19 AFL listed players they have access to. The other clubs do not have that luxury. Hence why the Beagles cannot have the same salary cap and have some minor recruiting restrictions.
You somehow always fail to include Peel in your comparison. They have the luxury of AFL listed players, a draft zone and a higher salary cap to the Eagles.

You somehow always fail to include Peel in your comparison. They have the luxury of AFL listed players, a draft zone and a higher salary cap to the Eagles.

Peel are in an alignment which has different rules. They also don’t get the same salary cap as the other 8 WAFL clubs and they’re restricted by how many listed players can play weekly.
Why would I bring them up when it’s an entirely different set up. We didn’t like that set up remember so we walked away.

I am not WAFL fan, to be fair I grew up watching the Eagles.

My understanding they wanted some form of alignment or standalone team to develop and play the kids the way they want to e.g system/role based.

Eagles tried the alignment with East Perth, it didnt work. (I am not sure why they dont align with Perth Demons considering they have the mutual benefit of shared home?? but i digress)

WAFL accepted them as a standalone team, albeit with more constraints than Freo's deal.

And for me, it stifle any form for the Beagles to compete or even win the league. The deal seems to hold West Coast back rather than have them succeed because that seem like the concern for the competition at the time.

Eagles took it because they had nothing else. I am sure others could correct if I am wrong?

But the way i see it, the current restrictions put a ceiling on recruitment and therefore how kids are developed while losing heavily week in and week out. I dont know the answer but what I do know is I want the Eagles to have every chance to succeed and this includes the Beagles. If the Beagles are successful then its creates competition for the main list.

Either the WAFL allows Eagles the same deal and Freo or they join a consortium with Adelaide and Port and push for a national competition. My hope that if they go down that path they do not have the restrictions in regards to salary cap and can really push to the envelope and bully the competition with the financial muscle they in some form....

Eagles tried the alignment with East Perth, it didnt work. (I am not sure why they dont align with Perth Demons considering they have the mutual benefit of shared home?? but i digress)

Perth’s membership base is dead against it, and a few years ago voted to change their constitution to make it extremely difficult for an alignment to be approved.

Either the WAFL allows Eagles the same deal and Freo or they join a consortium with Adelaide and Port and push for a national competition. My hope that if they go down that path they do not have the restrictions in regards to salary cap and can really push to the envelope and bully the competition with the financial muscle they in some form....

They can’t have the same deal as Freo/Peel unless they’re given a “zone” of grassroots clubs to create colts and reserves lists from. And since every grassroots club in WA is currently zoned to one of the other nine WAFL clubs, that would mean cannibalising one or more WAFL clubs’ zones. Which would be extremely unpopular among the other WAFL clubs, particularly those that are losing part of their zone. And it wouldn’t be great for the grassroots clubs involved either, because the club wouldn’t have development of its grassroots zone as a high priority since it wouldn’t have any additional draft access to those players.

Perth’s membership base is dead against it, and a few years ago voted to change their constitution to make it extremely difficult for an alignment to be approved.

They can’t have the same deal as Freo/Peel unless they’re given a “zone” of grassroots clubs to create colts and reserves lists from. And since every grassroots club in WA is currently zoned to one of the other nine WAFL clubs, that would mean cannibalising one or more WAFL clubs’ zones. Which would be extremely unpopular among the other WAFL clubs, particularly those that are losing part of their zone. And it wouldn’t be great for the grassroots clubs involved either, because the club wouldn’t have development of its grassroots zone as a high priority since it wouldn’t have any additional draft access to those players.
Cheers - as I said I am not WAFL fan and not aware of the background story.

But with what you have described I can only assume Eagles would likely walk away, and align with Port for a national reserves comp. And if they do that, I think they would cherry pick the best from the WAFL to be honest…

Remove this Banner Ad

Back