2nds West Coast Eagles WAFL Watch 2024

What’s the solution to that? We’re never going to have a situation where we’re going to have 15 AFL listed players and 7 top flight WAFL players making up the side.

The existing WAFL clubs have to regularly promote guys from their reserves or colts who might not be up to the level yet. How is that any different from us playing a handful of players who have come from ammos?

Solution is to be able to bring in more wafl quality depth.

We already have enough afl listed players, who are actually low probability development players who currently belong in ressies.

I doubt other clubs have 10 players who ability wise currently belong in reserves, let alone ammos. Ok we have gaff in flip side. Fantastic.

WAFL clubs also recruit and select players for need and balance, whilst we have who we have and fit them on ground somewhere, damn the balance. We also play players coming off injuries with managed minutes.

So let’s get off whole “afl listed players” thing, making it sound as though it means there are Dangerfields running around for beagles and we still can’t win.

Solution is to be able to bring in more wafl quality depth.

We already have enough afl listed players, who are actually low probability development players who currently belong in ressies.

I doubt other clubs have 10 players who ability wise currently belong in reserves, let alone ammos. Ok we have gaff in flip side. Fantastic.

WAFL clubs also recruit and select players for need and balance, whilst we have who we have and fit them on ground somewhere, damn the balance. We also play players coming off injuries with managed minutes.

So let’s get off whole “afl listed players” thing, making it sound as though it means there are Dangerfields running around for beagles and we still can’t win.
Agreed. Still a fair bit of deadwood to put the broom through this year but given the performances of Snake, Petch and Jamo (when fit) it seems like next year we’ll hopefully have some tough delisting calls to make at the end of the year.

Why is that the WAFL’s problem?

Also, who are these 10 players who don’t belong in WAFL seniors?

Would love to see Archer Reid swung to CHB in games like this. Sitting in F50 with 7 entries a quarter is going to do three fifths of f**k all for his development. Let him get a feel for the game at senior level put him where the ball is going, not where it isn’t going.

View attachment 1976600

Having 16 reserves sides in the same comp would mean we’d have to join, I think.
Be interesting to see how the reserves work then.

For all the chatter about it 'destroying' state leagues, if the salary cap is big enough to warrant second tier players going full time in pursuit of an AFL career, it may have the opposite effect, as being on an AFL list won't be pretty much the only way to make a living wage from footy. Players may enter state leagues as a pathway to AFL reserves instead.

View attachment 1976600

Having 16 reserves sides in the same comp would mean we’d have to join, I think.
It’s a bit of a dilemma…we complain about the travel burden on our players across their career but, by joining the national reserves comp, we’d be subjecting them to that burden from an earlier age. Damned if we do, damned if we don’t.

View attachment 1976600

"I think this will happen, and they’re pushing for it to happen next year - so I think we get used to that idea that SANFL, potentially the WAFL, is going to be missing those traditional clubs,” Clark added.

Those traditional WAFL powerhouses of Peel and WCE

I wonder how Coburg, Frankston, Port Melbourne, Preston, Southport, Werribee, and Williamstown would be handled of we do end joining the VFL reserves competition.

Send them to the VAFA? Or establish a new VFA

You have contradicted yourself. You are a stand alone team now and if you join a AFl reserves comp you will still be a stand alone side with the same problems dealing with cat b players and managing players coming back from injury.
Most AFL teams are stand alone teams but at least three are alignments.
Just need to recruit some decent players who are Wafl standard. It is a Eagles problem
Peel have worked their alignment well and seem ok with the present system.

Peel is a club with seniors, ressies and colts

Wafl Eagles aren't anything of the sort

If we do join a national reserves competition (I think we will) you'd think there would be less restrictions placed on who we can recruit as top up players. Will be interesting to see how things progress
Surely there would be no restrictions. How does the VFL currently operate with the non standalone sides?

It would just be on the players to decide if joining the Eagles/Dockers reserve sides and traveling every fortnight is right for them

If we do join a national reserves competition (I think we will) you'd think there would be less restrictions placed on who we can recruit as top up players. Will be interesting to see how things progress
Lifting restrictions on delisted players started this year. Which of the delisted players decided to stay at West Coast. None

Lifting restrictions on delisted players started this year. Which of the delisted players decided to stay at West Coast. None
There could be many reasons none of the players stayed on including the uncertainty of what will happen to the Eagles reserve side. Also 1 season is a very small sample size.

Recruiting delisted players is only 1 recruiting avenue. Should the Eagles go the reserves route there will be multiple avenues to recruit.

Like I said, it will be very interesting to see how things pan out.

Jackson Nelson, Hamish Brayshaw and Fraser McInness all stuck around after being delisted.

Sincere question.
Are the Beagles allowed to play finals?
Got the vibe they couldn't, so why would any older want to play for them?
Fair call.
But the way it stands, seems like a bit of a schmozzle.
WAFL, through WAFC, would be better funded, (esp if they cleaned out WAFC fat), if
WCE were going well. More $
Fear of WAFL clubs that good players will go to Beagles if on an even keel for recruitment?
Admit I'm nowhere near all over the situation, but strong WCE reserves definitely better development=stronger AFL side=benefits WAFC?
which I would hope benefits WAFL
If Beagles can play finals, changes everything incl the integrity of WAFL. Not a fan.
Understand if WCE go with Port/Adelaide into vAFL reserves comp, but hope something can happen
that it doesn't occur, WAFL has to loosen restrictions for it's own sake.

Back